flat black primer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
my model T is painted in a flat black primer (DP-90). I was wondering has any one spayed that on their egg, and how well does it bond to fibreglass, I want to make them match
Lee Trenholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If it's made for fiberglass and the fiberglass is properly prepped, should work as well as any paint. But I can't imagine anything getting any hotter than a flat-black trailer, just like a car. Have you considered doing some flat black accents? Everything from the frame to wheels to even graphics. If you really want a flat-black trailer, consider just doing the bottom half... from the belly band down. If the top is white, or at least a light color the trailer will stay cooler.

Here's a topic for you! Paint Jobs, Real and Imagined. (Not a How To thread)

I like my "Cool in Suede."

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	13073
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
A member on this forum has a neat looking Trillium with the lower half flat black - I think it looks very sharp. Doing that and matching the rims to your car might do the trick - Trillium rims are standard Ford 5 bolt rims apparently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	shrunk.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	13078
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #4

thanks Donna, there are some very cool paint jobs in there
Old 05-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #5

Name:   IMG_0909__WinCE_.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  11.9 KB
I think thats what I am gonna do booker, put red steel wheels and moon hubcaps and beauty rings to match my car.
the trailer you posted a picture of is painted very similar to mine
Old 05-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Lee, remember also that ANY primer is NOT a paint, it is NOT a rust inhibitor. But then FIBERGLASS does NOT rust!! There are flat/satin paints that LOOK like primer(s) but are in fact real paints. I have seen MANY Glass Eggs down here painted either ALL black or portions of in black. One important thing to remember about painting (especially a travel trailer) all dark colors including black absorb heat, so you might want to confine the lower part of your trailer to black. We have chosen to go the other route with our trailer. It CONTRASTS the car (which is cherry coke black) and the trailer is an 'in your face' WHITE. Has the same visual effect plus you can tow it behind ANY color tow vehicle and it'll look KILLER!! Too bad you are soo far away, this weekend we are having our semi anual get together with about 60 odd trailers attending.

I just checked on this thread and saw you were thinking of painting the wheels red?? DON'T bother powder coating them, just paint. The P/coating is REAL hard to repair rock chips in, paint is an easy fix...
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Lee, remember also that ANY primer is NOT a paint, it is NOT a rust inhibitor. But then FIBERGLASS does NOT rust!! There are flat/satin paints that LOOK like primer(s) but are in fact real paints. I have seen MANY Glass Eggs down here painted either ALL black or portions of in black. One important thing to remember about painting (especially a travel trailer) all dark colors including black absorb heat, so you might want to confine the lower part of your trailer to black. We have chosen to go the other route with our trailer. It CONTRASTS the car (which is cherry coke black) and the trailer is an 'in your face' WHITE. Has the same visual effect plus you can tow it behind ANY color tow vehicle and it'll look KILLER!! Too bad you are soo far away, this weekend we are having our semi anual get together with about 60 odd trailers attending.

I just checked on this thread and saw you were thinking of painting the wheels red?? DON'T bother powder coating them, just paint. The P/coating is REAL hard to repair rock chips in, paint is an easy fix...
ya Doug, I'm gonna try to make them match my car. also I am gonna go up to a 14 inch wheel and then I'm hoping I can use the same spare for the front wheels of my T and the trailer. I measured the hole and the bolt pattern and the offset, and they're the same as my trailer, and there looks to be enough room to make the tires another inch or two without rubbing
Old 05-06-2008, 10:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Howdy, used to be a 56 or 55 ford in black primer running around Winnipeg in early 60`s and in those days, names were painted on the sides of the front fenders of cars and it`s name was "Carbon Ark" .....kinda neat.........Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
[quote]A member on this forum has a neat looking Trillium with the lower half flat black - I think it looks very sharp. Doing that and matching the rims to your car might do the trick - Trillium rims are standard Ford 5 bolt rims apparently.

Attachment 13078

Hey, mighty fine lookin rig..... hee, hee...
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Attachment 13079
I think thats what I am gonna do booker, put red steel wheels and moon hubcaps and beauty rings to match my car.
the trailer you posted a picture of is painted very similar to mine

How bout some red pin striping.....
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #11

I was figuring on puting flames and pinstriping on the black part.
the same as my car is getting next weekend

yours looks alot shiny er than mine is Sharon hahaha