Flooring - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Perris Pacer
Registry
<div align="left">Anyone have any expierences with Having that snap together laminate Flooring Like for a house?

I was thinking of installing it but a friend of mine said that it might flex to much and fail.

he suggested vinyl flooring that looks like wood

</div>
JasonWesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
<div align="left">Anyone have any expierences with Having that snap together laminate Flooring Like for a house?

I was thinking of installing it but a friend of mine said that it might flex to much and fail.

he suggested vinyl flooring that looks like wood

[/quote]
I used it in my 17ft Boler when I had it. I really liked it.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Should work fine.
Just leave a 1/8" gap around the outside area of the floor for expansion. You can cover the gap with some quarter round molding.
Click image for larger version

Name:	quarter_round_molding.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	24674

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Like Kevin said - leave expansion room. BOTH directions.

I think the laminiates are much more water tolerant than they used to be. THAT would be a bigger concern than flexing.
Installation is easy - if you go vinyl, get some butcher paper and make a template of the WHOLE floor area - and be sure whan you cut it that the UP side is the same on both Pattern ##and## flooring.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:26 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
After my wife had an allergic reaction to Allure, I ripped out the Allure and cut and installed laminate flooring in the main floor of my Scamp in just about two hours. The laminate flooring fits and looks great and no more allergy attacks. Things you can do when threatened with cancelation of a camping trip. I have used the camper on three trips with the laminate flooring with no problems except the floor is cool at night, so we use a carpet runner. The floor is easy to clean and you can vacuum or just shake out the runner.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Perris Pacer
Registry
That sounds sweet I think I might try the laminate, It seems to me like it will be the most durable, easy to install and there having a sale at lowes this week too
JasonWesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
The Allure he mentioned is a Home Depot product looks like a laminate floor but has peel and stick corners and is made of vinyl. I went with Allure because it was lighter and also not as thick as laminate and I wanted to keep as much head room as possible.

Allure at Home Depot
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Quote:
The Allure he mentioned is a Home Depot product looks like a laminate floor but has peel and stick corners and is made of vinyl. I went with Allure because it was lighter and also not as thick as laminate and I wanted to keep as much head room as possible.

Allure at Home Depot

I too like the Allure.... looks like wood. How are the campgrounds on the Island? Do you know what the cost of the ferry is for a vehicle and 13' Scamp. We are planning a visit in the summer of 2010.
Thanks
Karen
karen lm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1700 1978 (Neonex Clagary)
Hi Karen,
Go to the BC Ferries website and they have all the info that you will need to figure out how much it will cost for the ferry. They measure from bumper to bumper. Also if time is a factor for you I would like to suggest that you make the reservation and pay the extra $15 for advance booking of 7 days or more. I can't remember the amount of times I have been left behind of the ferry. It pays for the reservation. It's a bit more if you don't do the 7 days. Take that from someone who lives on the Island. And another thing as well they only take credit cards and cash as well. There is no debit for BC Ferries.
Lydia Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #10

Hi Karen,

The campgrounds here are excellent. Check the BC Parks page for more information

As lydia mentioned the BC Ferries website explains all the fee structures. One thing to note is that 7' is considered overheight on the ferries and it's an extra 1/3 if you are over that. My Trillium is 7'2 so with that and 2 adults 2 kids and being 30 feet long we are around $150 each way on the ferry.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I just bought two boxes of allure traffic master for my uhaul 13 because one box was gonna be around 3-4 pieces shy for the job, and they dont sell singles sheets.
That said, It's oak pattern and I should have the extra's to keep anyone using the same stuff on a like sized camper from struggling and having to purchase a box.......I'm from CT btw.shipping probably isnt funny on this stuff at it's weight. either way...if you have a means and need it.........I'll provide singles!!...Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #12

I think they designed the quantity in the allure packaging to be just shy what you need for a 13' trailer. Truth or conspiracy theory??!?

Old 11-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #13

Trailer: Trillium 4500
I hear ya!
I've got a 98% complete box of bamboo Allure up for grabs in Co.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:48 AM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
alot of other products are available as singles....does seem odd they do that with this one...Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #15

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul
bruce, scott
Do you guys have any pictures of the Allure installed?
I think I want to use it beacause of the light weight, easy install, and water resistance.
Gary P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:11 AM   #16

Trailer: Boler
Morning.
When my DW and I built our house a few years ago, we got laminate from Restore, the sales outlet for Habitat for Humanity. I wasn't too concerned about patterns, so it was installed randomly (my TV room/office is only 8 foot, 6 inches a side!) and, for me, that remains a good look. And the cost? bugger all, really. I'm looking to them for cupboard handles; Home Depot sells the ones we currently have in our kitchen for 10-12 bucks a piece. Restore? About a buck! If you have one in your area, give'm a try. Well worth the effort, and, hey, you get a good deal for your little house on wheels, some lucky family will get a good deal on a roof over their heads!
Rick Harmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #17

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I think this is hickory Allure?
I still think this is a great way to go. 2 years old and still looks like new. only thing is the dark color shows dirt. I still love the look regardless
Attached Thumbnails
newfloor.jpg  
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #18

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul
Scott S
Thanks for the picture.
Looks great. I'm going to try the Allure.
I'll post some pics in a couple of weeks when I'm done.
Gary P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #19

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
bruce, scott
...any pictures of the Allure installed?
Here's what ours looks like. Installed this past summer. It is "Country Pine".

Name:	Late_Summer___09_002.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	24848

Name:	Late_Summer___09_006.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	24849

Name:	Late_Summer___09_008.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	24850

In the picture looking under the dinette, can you tell that way in the back I used another company's vinyl that is sold in pieces? It is narrower, thinner, and 100% "peel and stick"; so you wouldn't want to use it on the whole floor, but I only needed two pieces of it! No one will ever see it.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #20

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
We used the oak Trafficmaster Allure in our Boler.It was very easy to install and it soooo easy to keep clean.Got it on sale at Home Depost for $20.00 a box.As others have said you need more than one box for a 13' trailer but even so I think it a great deal,even if you have to pay regular price.
Attached Thumbnails
dinette_2.jpg  
Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote