Found a Love Bug (yes, for real name!), need thoughts checked - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-30-2021, 03:18 PM   #1

Name: A
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Found a Love Bug (yes, for real name!), need thoughts checked

So I'm about to have my hitch put on, so starting to really look for trailers. Found a Love Bug not far from me (https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...385912865.html) and looks, in general, decent condition. So here are my thoughts, any idea of how much the first set might cost in SoCal to get checked/done?

There are a few things that seem to probably need to be looked at:

1) front leading edge by the door, looks like it need some fixing
2) Inside front window looks like the inside has pulled back, needs some fixing
3) Fridge needs to be checked out, likely replaced IMO with a more efficient 3-way (I plan on having LiFePO4 battery & ground-mount solar, so solid 12v usable would be nice)
4) Propane needs checking out, just in case
5) New cushions for the front, and probably 1 large cushion/topper for the back as I intend to leave it as a bed, by and large
6) No trailer brakes, looks like this probably isn't trailer brake ready either, so I'd need to replace the axle for trailer brakes
7) Needs a spare tire
8) Don't see a graywater tank, does that mean there isn't one, drains right out the side? So I'd need to get one for the outside, and then cap and bring it in for transport

Other things:

1) Has a receiver on the back, need to check size for a bike rack (and then ensure proper forward balance when using it)
2) Need to take a good look at the floor and trailer, make sure it's in good shape

Good:
1) Has receiver for bike rack
2) PTI plates
3) Seems water tight
4) Very lightweight, although
Drizzt321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:54 AM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Love bug information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt321 View Post
2)
8) Don't see a graywater tank, does that mean there isn't one, drains right out the side? So I'd need to get one for the outside, and then cap and bring it in for transport
Includes a 25 gal tank in the ad.
Attached Thumbnails
lovebug.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:06 AM   #3

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Looking at the list of things that need attention, it depends on your expectations. What I mean is do you want it to look like a new trailer or are planning on using it for travel at your convenience? I have had 2 Trillium trailers and both needed extensive renovation, but they have given me lots of joy and I really don't like camping or travelling in remote areas in a tent anymore. It also depends on your budget and tow vehicle. As a rough estimate I double the trailer weight to calculate the tow capacity. Have fun and perhaps you will learn some skills at the same time!
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 01:30 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
For its age it looks in pretty good condition. The price is high, but aren't they all these days?! The door fit looks fairly good, which is a good sign. IF the floor and frame are solid, and IF the axle is recent and in good condition, it could be a worthy purchase. A rotten floor or bad frame would be reason to pass. An ancient axle would be reason to negotiate the price downward.

Check the stove, fridge, and lights (running and interior). Again, anything major (like the fridge) would be reason to negotiate the price downward.

It looks like the original spare mount has been removed and sealed, so you'll have to consider other locations. If you're going to carry bikes, I'd actually consider using the rear receiver for a spare mount and carrying the bikes over the tongue, which is much kinder on the bikes.

It's missing the front bunk set-up and cushion. That makes it a good candidate to convert the bench into a small dinette. There are a number of old threads on that common modification. If you keep the bench, there is room for a small porta-potty in the center compartment.

Don't assume there are no leaks; check carefully as one of your first tasks if you do pull the trigger. Windows, vents, and taillights are common leak points.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 01:43 PM   #5

California
All good points, thanks everyone. I think I might end up passing on this one. For my first trailer I think I'd rather get something that doesn't need any real work, and is in quite usable condition as is. For a future one, once I get some experience with how I use it, and what works and doesn't work for me, maybe a slight project trailer would be fine.
Old 10-02-2021, 02:25 PM   #6

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
So I'm about to have my hitch put on, so starting to really look for trailers. Found a Love Bug not far from me (https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...385912865.html) and looks, in general, decent condition. So here are my thoughts, any idea of how much the first set might cost in SoCal to get checked/done?

There are a few things that seem to probably need to be looked at:

1) front leading edge by the door, looks like it need some fixing
2) Inside front window looks like the inside has pulled back, needs some fixing
3) Fridge needs to be checked out, likely replaced IMO with a more efficient 3-way (I plan on having LiFePO4 battery & ground-mount solar, so solid 12v usable would be nice)
4) Propane needs checking out, just in case
5) New cushions for the front, and probably 1 large cushion/topper for the back as I intend to leave it as a bed, by and large
6) No trailer brakes, looks like this probably isn't trailer brake ready either, so I'd need to replace the axle for trailer brakes
7) Needs a spare tire

Other things:

1) Has a receiver on the back, need to check size for a bike rack (and then ensure proper forward balance when using it)
2) Need to take a good look at the floor and trailer, make sure it's in good shape

Good:
1) Has receiver for bike rack
2) PTI plates
3) Seems water tight
4) Very lightweight, although
If you haven't seen it in person and it is on Craigslist be very careful with this one or any other one. Craigslist is a hot spot for scammers. I see it says to text. Why not be able to call and see it in person. Never ever send any money in any form to someone. Always go see in person and take money. One this old is sure to need a lot of work especially if they are telling the problems there are most likely more.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:36 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
It looks good. It looks a lot like a boler except without the jailhouse windows.
Yellow Boler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 03:16 AM   #8

Name: Gigi
Trailer: 1972 Lovebug 1970 Eriba Puck 1991 Mallard Sprinter Class C
Minnesota & Arizona
Cute trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Boler View Post
It looks good. It looks a lot like a boler except without the jailhouse windows.
I agree. The Lovebug is very close to the Boler.

The cushions and curtains in this camper appear to be original as they match what came in mine.

I wouldn't be afraid of this camper, it has a lot going for it.
Artist Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:09 AM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
If you haven't seen it in person and it is on Craigslist be very careful with this one or any other one. Craigslist is a hot spot for scammers. I see it says to text. Why not be able to call and see it in person. Never ever send any money in any form to someone. Always go see in person and take money. One this old is sure to need a lot of work especially if they are telling the problems there are most likely more.
Actually ad states text OR call. I do not see any of the typical signs of a scam here. Scams are usually way low priced, and direct you to an email, often on one of the pictures. They also do a terrible job of describing the unit.

Its fortunate most scammers have not upped their game, yet......

Given some of the prices I have been seeing, this one looks good. And in California? If it had a Boler brand name, it would be GONE.

Rarely do vintage 13 footers have trailer brakes. And often they have 120V bar type fridges.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #10

California
I'm not afraid of it per se, but more my first trailer I'd rather have it be basically good to go.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:33 PM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
I'm not afraid of it per se, but more my first trailer I'd rather have it be basically good to go.
Then I'd move up in budget and get something around 5 years old or newer, or buy new. Nothing wrong with that.

Scamp and others have added a lot of features over the years. Vintage FG trailers are an acquired taste and typically involve some hands on maintenance.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Vintage FG trailers are an acquired taste and typically involve some hands on maintenance.
ALL trailers involve maintenance, no fooling. Even washing/waxing is maintenance... and while you're doing the hands-on work look at all the caulking. The only difference between maintenance issues and not.... is thousands of dollars. But it's inevitable if you want to keep your asset up to snuff.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 03:30 PM   #13

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
ALL trailers involve maintenance, no fooling. Even washing/waxing is maintenance... and while you're doing the hands-on work look at all the caulking. The only difference between maintenance issues and not.... is thousands of dollars. But it's inevitable if you want to keep your asset up to snuff.

I definitely realize that. Just want to start with something that isn't needing a fair amount of update/fixing work before using. Would rather just be able to start using it.

And yes, means a newer trailer, regardless of style, or a VERY well refurbished/renovated one.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:17 PM   #14

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Still not sold?

Quote:
So I'm about to have my hitch put on, so starting to really look for trailers. Found a Love Bug not far from me and looks, in general, decent condition. So here are my thoughts, any idea of how much the first set might cost in SoCal to get checked/done?
It's a week old listing and here in the Midwest would have sold by now if in good condition and a fair price. Inspect it carefully and try to find out why why it is still listed.
Attached Thumbnails
00a0a_lolBzPUse8vz_0k20iZ_1200x900.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Don't know why it hasn't sold, haven't really looked at the ad, nor (obviously) looked at the trailer. BUT, most people looking for an all-molded-towable are familiar with names like Scamp, Casita and boler, but few with Love Bug, Eco or Land 'n Sea. Anyone looking to buy NEEDs to look at all the names on the home page. And there are MORE than these too:
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:41 PM   #16

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
Plumbing

Re: no grey water tank.

It is likely that the only plumbing is a sink. A Portapotty would be carried in a cabinet, in lieu of a bathroom. So the only drain would be from the sink to an exterior connection.
In our trailer, we have only a sink, and our drain is a 5 gal. bucket with a lid and a short piece of garden hose with fittings, so nothing lands on the ground (as per many campground rules!). See photos:
Attached Thumbnails
A model sink drain to exterior.jpg   grey water bucket.jpg  

RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:29 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: Aliner
Minnesota
"Love Bug"?

Might want to inspect cushions with a UV flashlight.
manerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:21 PM   #18

Name: Gigi
Trailer: 1972 Lovebug 1970 Eriba Puck 1991 Mallard Sprinter Class C
Minnesota & Arizona
Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by manerac View Post
"Love Bug"?

Might want to inspect cushions with a UV flashlight.

That gave a giggle!
Artist Chic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
love bug