Freestanding Awning ideas? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #1

Name: M
Trailer: 1977 13' trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Freestanding Awning ideas?

Our 1977 trillium doesn't have a track for an awning so I'm looking for ideas for a freestanding awning, canopy, shelter...

Thinking of something like this...
Attached Thumbnails
2000004407_500.jpg  
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have a freestanding canopy (the misnamed EZup) and it has pluses and minuses. It isn't easy to put up alone. It won't handle high winds. If it is raining there is a leak between camper and canopy. And it is heavy though it does fit under the bed in the trailer.

Advantages, easy to replace, I don't have to take it all the time, cheap.

I also have a Kelty wing-type awning which is lighter but more trouble to assemble.

Most of the time I don't use either one. But if I camped in hot weather I would want something.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I like this one.

It's called Cotton Wood by Paha Que.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Hi Melanie,
I don't know the names of our canopies, but I definitely like the ones where there are no ropes extending out -- way too easy to trip over, especially at night, and too much for the dog to get tangled around. We can stake each foot to the ground or use weights.
One of ours (EZup maybe?) is supposed to be easy to pop up, but as Bobbie says, it's not all that easy. It does take two people working together. It folds into a large, heavy bundle that does not store easily. Still, once open, it's heavy-duty enough to add tarps to the side for additional rain or sun protection, and to attach a clothesline or hang wet towels right on the horizontal bars.
The other stores in a very small, light package, but we haven't had a chance to try it yet!
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / 2002 Honda Odyssey
Hey Melanie,

We have been using a first-up 10'x10' (bought at walmart) for the past couple of years as our FGRV doesn't have an awning (yet) either.
I really like the first-up: It is a good value for the money (less than $100), it can be set up in about 1 minute, it is light and can be moved around after it is up to get it in the best spot.
here are some pictures with and without the bug screen (included).
I'm pretty sure we'll keep bringing it with us even after we get an awning, it is really nice for outdoor cooking and dining.

After using it I have lost all patience for the tent pole style gazebos that require complete assembly, we pack ours with the top fabric on so that when it is time to set up two people just grab opposite corners, open it up and then adjust the height, done.

good luck!
Kev
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0069.jpg   DSC_0027.jpg  

Kevin Poll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I ordered a 10 x 10 from the Walmart website yesterday. Don't want to put holes into our Egg Camper. Besides, the awnings are more than I want to spend.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:26 AM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
I ordered a 10 x 10 from the Walmart website yesterday. Don't want to put holes into our Egg Camper. Besides, the awnings are more than I want to spend.
We use a FirstUp too. We leave one side with the bug screen open against the camper. It keeps bugs out, and unless it is raining hard or we are watching a movie, it is pretty much our living space. In fact, I am sitting in it right now.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #8

Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I like this one.

It's called Cotton Wood by Paha Que.
Wow...love the colour! We're planning to do the inside orange!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #9

Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Poll View Post
Hey Melanie,

We have been using a first-up 10'x10' (bought at walmart) for the past couple of years as our FGRV doesn't have an awning (yet) either.
I really like the first-up: It is a good value for the money (less than $100), it can be set up in about 1 minute, it is light and can be moved around after it is up to get it in the best spot.
here are some pictures with and without the bug screen (included).
I'm pretty sure we'll keep bringing it with us even after we get an awning, it is really nice for outdoor cooking and dining.

After using it I have lost all patience for the tent pole style gazebos that require complete assembly, we pack ours with the top fabric on so that when it is time to set up two people just grab opposite corners, open it up and then adjust the height, done.

good luck!
Kev
That's a good one.

I bought one but it wasn't very easy to set up...it's going back to Canadian Tire. One reason we wanted a camper was so we didn't have to set up a tent! I will check out Walmart tomorrow to see if this one is in stock.

Thanks for the pictures! They could be of us in the near future...the trillium looks very much like ours...the first-up gazebo...and we've been shopping for an Oddyssey too!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:34 AM   #10

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / 2002 Honda Odyssey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
Thanks for the pictures! They could be of us in the near future...the trillium looks very much like ours...the first-up gazebo...and we've been shopping for an Oddyssey too!
the first picture is Kouchibouguac national park, just down the acadian coast in NB (we loved it!) and the second is Bay of Fundy National park so both are more in your backyard than mine

Kev
Kevin Poll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
My history of providing shade. First was a EZup of the original kind, heavy, bulky, and very sturdy. It takes two or more to put it up easily and takes up a lot of space. It's been relegated to special occasions.
Second came the Kelty Shade House. Light, easy to set up, doesn't take up a lot of space, not difficult to put up or take down. Shade provided, very small patch compared to the EZup. Side curtains help provide a bit more shade, but also hinder ventilation and views.
Current is the Paha Que. Storage size a bit larger than the Kelty. About the same to set up, very sturdy. As with the Kelty the poles are aluminum, difficult to break. Shade patch larger enough to cover a picnic table. At the moment this seems to be the answer for us.
Your mileage may very.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #12

Name: Ben
Trailer: Uhaul
Washington
Attached awning

Got a nice colorful viny attached awning from J. C. Whitney for about a hundred bucks. A little long but it works great You have to pop rivet a track on the trailer with some sealant but it goes up in a heartbeat. Also have to be careful to have room to extend it with the outside posts and guy lines but if you do it right you can get a picnic tale under it. Light and fast. BenL
BenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot 17 ft ('The Sea Glass')
We have been using the EZ Up idea for about 2 years, but the downside is that you have to make a place for it in the back of the truck (our Quad cab only has a 5 foot bed so folded and in its case it runs the entire length of the bed), and like others have said, it is not THAT easy to set up (even with 2 people it just doesn't seem worth the trouble if you are just going to camp overnight-sometimes I wish I could just pull out an awning). Also, if a storm comes up, the wind can bang it against your camper(maybe scrape it or worse) and it can also either blow away a few yards (if you haven't been able to stake it into a concrete pad) or twist and mangle itself if you HAVE been able to stake it down (the center part of our EZ Up is now broken as a result of a sudden thunderstorm in Montana). I like the look of both of the other shade structures shown on this site (I will definitely want a screen room on the next one-as a Californian who sees maybe 2 mosquitos a year I did not realize how bloodthirsty the Montana, Washington and Oregon mosquitos would be on our last trip!)....but I am also thinking more seriously about getting an awning that attaches to the trailer now that I've had it for 3 years (the original awning was broken and un-repairable when I bought the '86 Bigfoot we have now).
Toni M T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #14

Registry
Melanie,

If you buy a First-Up, buy the bug screens too. We set ours up as close to the trailer as we can with the trailer side bug screen tied back. Your door will probably then open under it like ours does. It acts as a way to keep the bugs out of the trailer. Not many seem to find their way into the screen house or the trailer that way for us. We then spend most of our time out in the screen house.
Makes a good party room too.

CindyL
Old 07-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #15

Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot 17 ft ('The Sea Glass')
I went online to buy a First Up (or at least get it sent over to the local WalMart so I could be sure to get one and not come out empty handed since it's a 30 mi. RT drive) and it looks like they are not carrying them any more. Has anyone on here bought one recently?
Toni M T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:39 PM   #16

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni M T View Post
I went online to buy a First Up (or at least get it sent over to the local WalMart so I could be sure to get one and not come out empty handed since it's a 30 mi. RT drive) and it looks like they are not carrying them any more. Has anyone on here bought one recently?
Try this link First-Up 10' x 10' Gazebo / Event Tent - Walmart.com I did a fast check and they show them available in the Oxnard store

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 AM   #17

Registry
The FirstUps are still in the stores around here. They were restocked this spring. Some have run out now and are not restocking this late in the summer though.
They only have the tan color now though.

CindyL
Old 07-27-2011, 05:39 AM   #18

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Saw them yesterday for $99.00 here in STL.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #19

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I also have to throw this one out here again,it is not a 4 legged awning but will work without an awning track and is just another neat way to go I think.

http://busdepot.com/details/awning.jsp
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #20

Nova Scotia
Registry
I brought the First Up Shelter home from Walmart but it's HEAVY! I'm trying to keep the weight down so I'm not sure about this one.

The Ezy-up looks great...anyone try it with an egg?

Anyone have a good DIY tarp solution?

Tags
awning