Fresh Water Sources - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #41

Trailer: 2010 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Registry
Joy said, "I managed to find brass fittings but the Canadian's water connections are opposite of ours."

Joy, We are planning a trip to Alaska (driving thru Canada, of course). Are you saying we will need a different set of hose connectors/fittings, etc. for use in Canada. If so, where do we get them and what do we need? I did not see any reference to different fittings in the Milepost book or other info we have been collecting on Alaska/Canada camping.
WtMtJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:16 AM   #42

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
Canadian and American water connections for garden hoses and for all household fittings are identical!
The same companies supply both countries.
There may be some regional slight differences and rules, like, in Canada a 'Hose bib' (Backflow Preventer) is required at any outlet for a garden hose, to prevent the water in the hose from flowing back into the house when the sun heats up the water and creates excess pressure.
Other than that, the names Moen, Waltek, American Standard, Delta, and others, are well know in both countries. Now I have seen some variances in push together garden hose couplings and have seen people using them backwards. There is incompatibility between the manufacturers of these couplings, but not due to Canada and US!
A good selection of fittings, though, is a good idea when travelling!
Mike

Quote:
Joy said, "I managed to find brass fittings but the Canadian's water connections are opposite of ours."

Joy, We are planning a trip to Alaska (driving thru Canada, of course). Are you saying we will need a different set of hose connectors/fittings, etc. for use in Canada. If so, where do we get them and what do we need? I did not see any reference to different fittings in the Milepost book or other info we have been collecting on Alaska/Canada camping.
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #43

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Exclamation

Quote:
There was something mentioned about filters earlier in this thread. Some concern about using it then letting it sit and using it at a considerable time later.
In my backpacking days I did a lot research on water filters since all water had to be carried or you used surface water from a spring, a stream, or a lake. Surface water always needed to be purified and filtering took less mess, bother, and tasted better than any other method.. After trying several different filters the one the worked the best for me contained a ceramic filter insert. A piece of Scotch Bright comes with the filter. When outside of the ceramic is starting to clog up you scrub it lightly with the Scotch Bright, and it's good as new. My backpacking filter is about 4 years old at the moment and I'll probably use it this summer without replacing the ceramic cartridge.

I recently found a ceramic filter that made about the same way for the trailer. It's Camco TastePURE CX90. Here's a link the manufacturer's web site.
camco link I purchased mine at Camping World. According to Camping World this filter removes more the bad stuff than any other.

I filter mostly the water from my well, there's lots minerals and iron that will collect in the fresh water tank. Most of the potable water at campgrounds I use without filtering and don't see much need for filtering. I'll still carry my filter and if suspect any thing about the water I'll use it.

Byron

Hey Byron,

Thanks for the post. I purchased (but haven't opened) the Camco "disposable" filter from Walmart. And it does seem to take care of most "bad stuff" and costs under $10. I need to go to Camping World for my hose fittings (rated "YES" for human consumption). While there I will take a look at the ceremac one. I'll need to weigh the cost benefits of the extra $35. I don't want to sound cheap, but I need to save some money for .... gas, food and water! I've already given up hope of getting an I-Pad this year!

I do have a question regarding water filters. Someone mentioned parasites. The product descriptions on most of these filters talk about bacteria protection. What about parasites? None of these products mention parasites? Do I need another type of filter?

This thread has been great!

JMP
Old 04-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #44

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:

I do have a question regarding water filters. Someone mentioned parasites. The product descriptions on most of these filters talk about bacteria protection. What about parasites? None of these products mention parasites? Do I need another type of filter?

This thread has been great!

JMP

I believe parasites would mostly be bacteria, I would think that a filter for microbial (Bacteria and the like) would take care of pretty much all other parasitic infestations. (Not all bacteria are actually parasitic)

---
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #45

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Last summer, in Canada, we came across "boil water" notices in a number of parks, and followed normal precautions. I would not trust a $10 water filter to protect my health, in place of boiling the water... Just my opinion. (I have a water filter, much more than $10. I trust it to remove sediment from the park tap, and that's about it, honestly. If the sign says non-potable, it is.)
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Last summer, in Canada, we came across "boil water" notices in a number of parks, and followed normal precautions. I would not trust a $10 water filter to protect my health, in place of boiling the water... Just my opinion. (I have a water filter, much more than $10. I trust it to remove sediment from the park tap, and that's about it, honestly. If the sign says non-potable, it is.)
Sherry

I agree. The system I am putting together is for trailer/camping park faucets. I started out this thread wondering how you get fresh water when boon docking. Again, I'd probably want to buy fresh water from supermarket machines and pump them into the trailer.

I did bring up parasites ... because other posters brought up the fact that water quality in some parks can be questioned and/or, at the very least, taste bad. I'm just interested in protecting myself and family.

Regarding the water filter. I saw the same one today at Camping World. It is made by Camco and the package lists all the things it filters. I was rather comforted to read this list. I'd be happy to spend more money if I am convinced that I am getting a superior product. I did, in fact, look at a couple of ceramic filters, but the check list of metals and bacteria they filter is exactly the same as the disposable filter system I purchased over the weekend.

If you have a specific type, model, make filter you would recommend, please let me know.

Thanks,

JMP

Old 04-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #47

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Jim,

It's the quick connects that are opposite. So when I lost my "Y" and it's male quick connects (which are female/male and screw on over the threads on the "Y") I found that Canadian male quick connections were male/male, so they wouldn't screw onto the "Y".

Then I had a heck of a time finding a coupler so I could use the Canadian quick connects with my American ones with out having to purchase a number of new quick connects all being Canadian. I just didn't want to go to all that expense, brass is pricey in Canada. I had an extra "Y" so all I needed was the male quick connect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	109_7829.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	27270
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #48

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Well to be fair, there are many different types of filters. Some of them *do* make non-potable water potable. It's a function of what is making the water non-potable and what the filter is capable of filtering.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #49

Quote:
Sherry
You can never go wrong with boiling... That will kill any and all bacterium and or virus. I will use my coffee pot and put in a coffee filter. I think I mentioned filtering after boiling as a good way to clean the dead stuff and containments out of the boiled water. There is actually a neighborhood in my town that has a "boil water" ordinance in effect right now for the local well water. cryptosporidium parvum is in the water. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptosporidiosis This particular parasite is highly immune to disinfectants. Filters are fairly effective on Crpto. But boiling is by far the best weapon against it. If you know that Crypto is highly concentrated in the water supply... Boil!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:26 AM   #50

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... After reading this thread I'll stick to "Beer"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #51

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Great idea Alf.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #52

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
When we are dry camping we try and fill up the tank when we are close to our destination. If we stay long enough to run out we use the 5 gal collapsible jugs and a funnel with a long spout (5 gal is about all we can carry without assist) if there is water near by. We have tried to eliminate bottled water so we use a PUR water pitcher for drinking and cooking with a level 2 filter (click here! We use this wherever we camp. The stage 2 filter removes 99.9% of bacteria, cysts, parasites and heavy metals.

Happy Trails
Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #53

Quote:
When we are dry camping we try and fill up the tank when we are close to our destination. If we stay long enough to run out we use the 5 gal collapsible jugs and a funnel with a long spout (5 gal is about all we can carry without assist) if there is water near by. We have tried to eliminate bottled water so we use a PUR water pitcher for drinking and cooking with a level 2 filter (click here! We use this wherever we camp. The stage 2 filter removes 99.9% of bacteria, cysts, parasites and heavy metals.

Happy Trails
Kathie

AH! This it the first time anyone mentioned Level anything filters! What are the various levels? How do I find out what mine is?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #54

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I clicked where she said to and it links to the pitcher on Amazon. I don't see different levels of filters, but the filters say they fit into the "2-stage" system of the pitcher. There is more info if you click on the filter replacements.

I agree that it's a good thing to "break out of" the bottled water habit if possible.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #55

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
I took a couple of hiking trips with a small tour company to the Copper Canyon and Peru years ago. Their method of treating water was to to add drops of iodine to the water, wait a half hour or so, and then add drops of something else which caused the iodine to precipitate out and fall to the bottom of the jug. The water tasted great. Anybody else ever seen this type of water treatment?
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #56

Quote:
I took a couple of hiking trips with a small tour company to the Copper Canyon and Peru years ago. Their method of treating water was to to add drops of iodine to the water, wait a half hour or so, and then add drops of something else which caused the iodine to precipitate out and fall to the bottom of the jug. The water tasted great. Anybody else ever seen this type of water treatment?

Yep all the time! You can buy them in about any camping section. They are little tablets in 2 little jars. One is the iodine the other is the taste remover. They work really well. Follow the directions finely when you use them!

This is a really good subject!
Old 04-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #57

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Culligan shows different levels of in-line filters, at varying prices, with different ranges of filtration.
One of our camping friends exists, at home, on collected rainwater, and his household depends on a (very expensive) highly rated filtration system. He bought something similar, also expensive, for his camper.
I still believe in boiling water when posted or suspect, for consumption. Again, anything you introduce into your tank, with or without adequate filter, will be with you a long time.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #58

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
I know we all have different ways of thinking about what we are willing to drink or put into our tanks. I personally am not comfortable drinking the water out of my tank, it is for dishes and showers mainly. So this is what I did when I dry camped over the past few months.

For drinking water I would take 4 or 5 clean gallon jugs and get drinking water for a quarter at one of the free standing drinking water dispensers, I left it in my truck and brought one in as I needed. For my tank, I had 4 or 5 jugs that I would fill almost anywhere including from my ice chest (though that water usually went to the dog). My sources were a county park nearby (the ranger said no problem), a store nearby where I did most of my other shopping and fueling so the manager had no problem letting me fill a few gallon jugs, and a friends house in town (cause I was close to my hometown).

I have also found that most truck stops and gas stations have water available, you just need the jugs.

For me, I didn't really need the tank to be full as I took very few quick showers in the trailer, so a few gallons here and there while being careful was plenty.

Just my two cents worth...don't know if it will help, but it seemed to work for me. MM
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #59

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
I think Monica has the right idea and her approach simplifies things a great deal. I think I'll do the same thing in my new-to-me Casita. The amount of water you actually drink is going to be a lot less than what's in your tank. Anybody who has lived or traveled in Latin America has done it the same way. The tap water is good for washing dishes, clothes, and bathing. Nobody would think of drinking it.

And I also like Alf's method. It's the same method the Pilgrims used on the Mayflower. Beer is always safe.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #60

Thumbs up

OK, I started this thread. So let me give you a progress report!

I basically used Joy's posts to put together a shopping list of (mostly) brass RV specific hardware.

I did end up at camping world for the quick connectors, brass pressure reducer, and brass elbows, specialty hoses and water thief. I don't think that I spent much more than the hardware stores were charging and these items are designed for RV fresh water systems.

I got the RV portable water filter many of you recommended from Wal Marts.

I also picked up the outside faucet handles & key that Joy suggested at Lowes Hardware, and a collapsible 5 gallon jug at Harbor Freight.

All I need is the 12 volt portable pump. There I have some questions.

I went to Harbor Freight and found a portable 12 volt marine/utility pump. It is very similar to the picture on Joy's post (post #7) and costs about the same amount she paid ($29). However, instead of a cigaret "lighter" plug, it has 2 battery clips. In fact, all of the 12 volt pumps I am seeing on the internet has battery clips.

So, my question is: can I exchange the clips for a cigaret plug?

Also, this is for use as a bilge pump. I'm hoping that the chamber where the water pumps through is stainless steel, so the quality of the water from the collapsable jug is not compromised. I'll be calling the manufacturer tomorrow to ask.

BTW, I did search for water pumps and various stores and on the internet. The Harbor Freight pump that Joy has is the least expensive.

Anyone have any other thoughts, suggestions?

Again, thanks for your help!