Fresh Water Tank Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #1

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Fresh Water Tank Question

Hi All,

Laura and I are in the final few months of our 2nd season with our '05 Casita 17' FD. When we dewinterized in March, I sanitized our freshwater tank and water lines. I then put about 5 gallons of water in the fresh tank. It currently has about 3 gallons left. Most of our camping is at campgrounds with water and electric or full-hook ups, so we rarely use the water in our fresh tank. We drink bottled water and use city water for dishes, showers, teeth brushing, etc. In October, we will go to a rally with electric only. This means that the water in the fresh tank has been there for about 6 months. I will top it off before we get to the campground. However, should I sanitize the tank again given the water (3 gallons) has been there for 6 months? We will still have bottled water for drinking, but will use the fresh tank for making coffee, brushing teeth, doing dishes, etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dean
Old 08-27-2017, 03:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Personally, I would just drain it and then refill it, unless I had reason to believe that there is green stuff growing in there or something. Others' advice may vary. I guess it depends upon how you feel about it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #3

Kentucky
Registry
Hi Mike,

No green stuff!

Curious about what others would do. I tend to be a little OCD, so trying to figure out if it is not biggie to drain and add fresh water since I sanitized in March.

Thx,

Dean
Old 08-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I recently sanitized mine. I don't want water sitting in there for very long without at least flushing it.

Last time we got back I added about 1/4 cup of bleach and then topped off the tank. I ran the faucets to get the bleach into the lines and left it until we went in the next trip a few weeks later.

Then I drained the tank, flushed out the lines and re-filled it.

The water was nice and fresh for the trip.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #5

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I recently sanitized mine. I don't want water sitting in there for very long without at least flushing it.

Last time we got back I added about 1/4 cup of bleach and then topped off the tank. I ran the faucets to get the bleach into the lines and left it until we went in the next trip a few weeks later.

Then I drained the tank, flushed out the lines and re-filled it.

The water was nice and fresh for the trip.
Hi John,

Thanks! I can flush the tank and water lines with fresh water pretty easily. If I add bleach, it will sanitize, but I can't drain the last inch or two of water in the bottom of my fresh tank without accessing the fresh tank from the dinette bench (bed) and using a towel or shop vac to remove the last inch or so of bleach water. So, I was wondering what other folks do.

Take care,

Dean
Old 08-27-2017, 05:51 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Dean,

I handled that last bit in the tank by filling it with the drain open and at the same time leaving the faucets open to rinse everything out thoroughly. When we got to our eclipse camp the water was so nice.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:14 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Hi John,
Thanks! I can flush the tank and water lines with fresh water pretty easily. If I add bleach, it will sanitize, but I can't drain the last inch or two of water in the bottom of my fresh tank without accessing the fresh tank from the dinette bench (bed) and using a towel or shop vac to remove the last inch or so of bleach water. So, I was wondering what other folks do.
Dean
Hi Dean, I installed a 4" deck plate on my SD17 tank. Not sure if you have one but it sure makes getting into the tank easy as it's right under the bench filler panel. Plus I can reach any place inside of it for any needed cleaning too. Fully running up the tongue jack will also help get as much water out through the drain.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Our fresh water tank cleaning method is similar to Raspy's .
We drain the fresh water tank after every trip.
Then before heading out on our next trip we run fresh water into the tank with the drain open in order to flush / rinse out the tank .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:27 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Drain and rinse a few times. A number of small rinses, letting it drain well between each one, is more effective than one large rinse.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #10

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
what others do???

you asked...what I do now is what I did for twenty years in boats...(often picking up water in "suspicious" places)

I only drain once a year, in the fall.

Every other time I fill or top up the water tank I add 2 or 3 DROPS of cholrine (bleach)...never had a problem with smelly water (swampy or chlorine smell)

I don't drink water...If I'm making coffee the water has boiled....same with cooking....

when I use ice cubes from the freezer I "sanitize" them by dropping them in a couple of ounces of scotch

and FWIW....when I go to a full service CG....I plug in and that's it... I don't hook up to "city" water or sewer (unless I have to at the time)... just before leaving I dump black and grey tanks and fill the fresh water tank....just the way I do it... I travel solo and seldom stay anywhere more than one night.
Attached Thumbnails
ggs.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #11

Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. I don't think I will do much of anything for our September trip since I will have city water. Before our October trip, using our fresh tank, I will rinse a few times and/or sanitize if I have time.

Take care,

Dean
Old 08-28-2017, 08:22 PM   #12

Registry
Get an RV water filter too.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Wat...&wl13=&veh=sem
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:30 PM   #13

Name: Greg
Trailer: 1977 17' Boler
Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. I don't think I will do much of anything for our September trip since I will have city water. Before our October trip, using our fresh tank, I will rinse a few times and/or sanitize if I have time.

Take care,

Dean
Hi Dean,

2 cents worth. A little cholrine to the tank, add the water to full. Let is\t sit over night and flush several times. I have found dumping in half box of baking soda in, and leave it over night. Then flush. It really makes the water taste fresh and there is no chlorine after taste.

Greg
Boler77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:55 PM   #14

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
RV fresh water tanks are usually flushed to get rid of "stale" water more so than microbiologically "contaminated" water. Water from a municipal system has a chlorine residual, by law, which is actually hypochlorous acid (bleach) solution. This will take care of small amounts of microbes that may inadvertently get into your tank. While this chlorine residual will dissipate over time, by the time it does all the organisms should be neutralized and it isn't likely others will get in. Even if they do there won't be any nutrients so they aren't likely to multiply.
Draining your fresh water tank and filling from a municipal supply will actually sanitize your tank and it should taste reasonably good as well.
No need to sanitize unless you inadvertently fill your tank from a contaminated source like a stream or lake.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote