Front dinette conversion: Do you find seats comfortable? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I've been pondering a front dinette conversion on my Boler 13.

One question that keeps coming to mind is about the backrests. They always look to me like they'd be so far back that they really wouldn't be comfortable to lean back on in the usual way (in other words, you could lean back onto the cushions but it would be a bit exaggerated and maybe not all that comfortable

In my late-night design pondering sessions I've thought about shortening up the two seat bases by having a small compartment/closet by the door (8" or so deep) to bring the new "back" closer to the table; and a narrow shelf/counter on the other side (next to the kitchen) for the same purpose.

So I guess what I'm asking is how comfortable are those dinette seats with the back cushions all the way out to the camper sides? Are the backs really "lean-on-able" without leaning back a crazy amount? Maybe it's just an optical illusion on my part that they look too wide?

To illustrate I'll post a couple of photos of dinettes I've saved that show the dinette seats running full width. One is Pat C's that she's just finished (Boler 13) and the other is from Gina's former Burro 13.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front_dinette_1.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	22528

Click image for larger version

Name:	dinette1.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	22529

Thanks for any input as I ponder the conversion

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Yeah, that's why we didn't do it in the Scamp..... Too much back room and not enuff room for a recliner... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
What about adding a set of bucket style seats on top of the benches it swivel bases, and they would recline some as well. My father camps in a Ford E-350 cargo van that he converted into a camper with sink, fridge, galley style beds even a toilet.....anyway he put these seats in so the drivers and passenger seats can turn around after he parks and be used to sit and watch tv.
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:02 AM   #4

That's a good idea, Scott, and I've saved photos from several people who have done this.

On the other hand, I'd like to maximize storage and "ledge" space, so if the seats seem deep to folks who have used them (I haven't done), I was thinking of incorporating a couple of ledge/closets against the side walls to bring them in a bit.

But, I have also thought about mounting a big, comfy office/swivel chair

Actually, I had thought about making the whole front couch section into a big desk/project table, and simply using a small folding chair to sit at it facing forward (and tucking the chair into the "keyhole" when not using it. But I do kind of like the idea of a dinette.

An option that's halfway between would be having (or using) only the dinette seat by the door, and then having a full-depth counter section on the kitchen side. A second person could pull up a folding chair.

I hope lots of folks will chip in ideas and opinions

Raya
Old 08-10-2009, 12:17 AM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Wow. I haven't thought about that picture in a long time.. LOL!

I have seen lots of ways folks have done it in person. None of them really address the problem AND look good.

I found the way I did it to have the same result you are concerned about. I found a couple of those thick "Prop me up" bed cushions with arms on them and used those in addition to the back rests you see.

Since most of the time when sitting at a table I am eating, or on the comp, I found my leaning back periods were few, so it wasn't as big a concern as I thought it would be.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:10 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
Raya-

My solution has been more of a temporary one, but I just got two bed pillows at Walmart and for the time being they're working out fine. They're enough support when I'm sitting there and the cats like to sit on the tops of them. Like Gina said, one of the things that you should consider is how much lounging time will you be spending on those seats. When I'm sitting on my dinette, I'm there to eat or write, so I'm generally sitting up straighter. If I want to lounge, I'm in my chair outside or on the bed.

I just finished my couch to dinette conversion this summer--and I absolutely love it. It makes such a difference in how I travel.

-k
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01743.jpg  
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:26 AM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quote:
One question that keeps coming to mind is about the backrests. They always look to me like they'd be so far back that they really wouldn't be comfortable to lean back on in the usual way (in other words, you could lean back onto the cushions but it would be a bit exaggerated and maybe not all that comfortable
I've thought that myself. I wondered if you could mount a swivel boat seat like this: swivel boat seat
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:32 AM   #8

Hi Cam,

I did just read a conversion page on FGRV wherein people used those basic swivel boat seats. I think I dredged it up by searching "front dinette" in the section that shows off mods people have done (forget the name just now).

Raya
Old 08-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Raya Well guess I'll chime in. I have pondered the same issues. The boat seats look like they have promise. From the photos it looks like they fold flat which would give one access to any storage areas you could build behind them. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #10

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Our solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer_chairs_with_Burro_1_edited_1.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
That's sweet Per!
I've seen several where the right seat is on a swivel as well.

If you look on the Casita forums you will find a bunch of swivel seat mods that folks have done to the Spirit Deluxe side dinette which is basically the same setup as this but on the side.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Since most of the time when sitting at a table I am eating, or on the comp, I found my leaning back periods were few, so it wasn't as big a concern as I thought it would be.
What Gina said.

I've pondered it too Raya. I tried to come up with an idea that would shorten the seating depth and still be able to make it into a bed.....without success.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #13

I'm loving all the thoughtful replies. Thanks (and keep them coming, please )

Per, I had those seats saved in my idea files. What sort of chairs were they "in real life"?

Lizbeth: Ah, that does add to the challenge. I don't need the ability to make the forward area into a bunk (although of course I'd save all the original parts so as to be able to change over if desirable), so my task is easier.

Raya
Old 08-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry

Raya,

I hope to do The Dinette Conversion very soon myself.

I don't have the cubby for the loo in my boler so the whole thing is going to be raised like the bed/dinette end.

I plan on making the new table the same width as the existing one and the benches the same depth. That way I don't forsee a problem with the depth of the seats.

My question is, should I frame it out or just use 1/2" ply? Hmmmmmn ...
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #15

That's a point, Clive.

Although, I would think you'd then have to offset it to the entry side, or you would have a hard time getting in past the wide table on the kitchen side (unless you made a sliding table or etc.) Of course if you offset it then you will still have a "deep seat" side.

I hope you'll post photos as you do your mod so we can see how you go about it

Raya
Old 08-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #16

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Raya: They were office chairs from Office Max. Microfiber, and I noticed the four-bolt mounting method of fixing them to the support leg assembly, which made them easily mountable (with some reinforcement) to the fiberglass platform.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
"Although, I would think you'd then have to offset it to the entry side, or you would have a hard time getting in past the wide table on the kitchen side (unless you made a sliding table or etc.) Of course if you offset it then you will still have a "deep seat" side."

I was thinking about a drop leaf corner on the table. Or worst case cutting the corner off.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #18

Thanks, Per!

Clive: Aha!
Old 08-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #19

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Raya,

I've contemplated making the dinette mod in my Scamp for sometime. I also thought about the depth of the seat. My solution would be to make a small storage area and slightly slant the back rest to make it more comfortable. Most bench seats are too straight and uncomfortable. It doesn't take much of a slant to make it comfortable.

I would also make the seat higher so you can see out better. I don't like my feet dangling. This would mean the foot rest/foot well could have a small storage space underneath. Some kind of a box with a lid.

Recently, since there is just me, I've been thinking about re-making the counter extension to curve around for a table and then just one seat by the door for me. This might to too radical of a change to the trailer.

Oh yes, Bigfoot trailers have a small storage area behind one of the seat backs. Looked good to me.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #20

Joy,

Funny, I was just in my Boler mocking up the very things you're thinking about

I had bought enough ply to make a counter completely across the front, and was originally thinking about making that whole area a desk, then using a chair in the main floor area, so I'd be facing forward with my feet in the "keyhole" (which is where I'd keep the chair when not in use).

Right now I, too, have a counter extension running forward along the driver's side wall next to the kitchen. I was thinking I'd just have that on top of the main desk, with a space between it and the desk which would be handy to slide papers or whatever (as it would be about 4" tall).

But I also like the dinette idea, and I do like to have a place to just set daily things when I come in the door (where the heck else does one toss a backpack, etc.?). Of course these could go on the original bench under the big desk, but...

So today I was mocking up making my desk/table run from the kitchen wall over to where one single seat would be on the door side of the trailer (with a small storage bin on the side wall to make the back shallower and more comfortable as you mentioned). This would give me the "set down a backpack" space (of course that would be MY seat!) by the door. And a place to sit without having a separate chair (although with one of those I could seat two).

I think I may cut my large piece of plywood (28" x width of trailer) so that there is one large "table" piece that runs from the kitchen wall over to where the door side table edge would normally be with a dinette conversion, and then try that out. I can save the door side piece in case I want to make a full width table. Or I could cut the whole thing down to just a "normal" table later. I'll put my current galley extension counter on a couple of 1" x 4" "rails" running perpendicular to the long wall of the trailer, and set it down on top of the desk. So I'll have that small space for papers or whatever to slide in and store.

I'm trying to talk myself out of the radical conversion I keep thinking about, wherein I move the kitchen to the front wall, then make a long bed/settee along the (former) kitchen wall. I like that because I'd have a "permanent" bed/table all in one. (In other words I'd have the table set up very similar to the current rear dinette table if you make it up, but just shifted a tiny bit to the door side for my 32" wide permanent bed/settee).

I really like the permanent bunk/settee/also-where-you-sit-at-the-table set-up -- it's what I'm used to on boats. No "deciding" whether to sit at the table or on the bed (I tend to hang out on the bed all the time and just use my galley extension that runs off the sink side and over the foot of the bed for my table, but that's not so comfortable as no place to lean back).

That's a lot of work though, so I'm going to try the dinette ideas first

Raya