Furnace Lighting Procedure - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Furnace Lighting Procedure

I'm feeling like a dummy trying to follow instructions in manual.

Parkliner with Suburban NT-16SEQ/NT-20SEQ.

Thermostat with Off switch.

Inside Panel is screwed on.

Outside Vent Panel

Manual says:
  1. Set thermostat to lowest setting. (OK)
  2. Turn off all electric power to the appliance (How?)
  3. Appliance is equipped with automatic ignition device.
  4. Turn shutoff valve to off. This furnace is equipped with a valve shut-off switch. With switch in Off position, gas will not flow to burner nor will the furnace operate. (There is Off on the thermostat, but I don't see a shutoff valve.)
  5. Wait 5 minutes to clear out any gas. Then smell for gas including near the floor. (Why? Am I checking for a gas leak from some other appliance?)
  6. Turn on all electric power to the appliance, To better clear out any gas, the heater should be operated for 5 minutes with the blower on and the gas off. If blower does not come on or stops before ignition cycle, go to shut down and contact dealer. (Same as 2)
  7. Turn shut-off valve to on. (Same as 4)
  8. Set thermostat to desired setting.
  9. If the appliance will not operate, follow the instructions "To Turn Off Gas to Appliance" and call service.
Questions:
  1. Are they referring to the shutoff valve on the propane tank or is there some other shutoff valve? Or are they saying that if I switch the thermostat to Off, that will turn off the shutoff valve?
  2. How do I turn off electrical power to the appliance?
  3. Why am I smelling for gas? (Step 5) Is it just a precaution because lighting the heater will create a spark?
ETA: I just read the manual for the hot water heater and it is written the same way.

I decided to just turn the switch On on the thermostat and set the temp high. Within a minute or so I had heat, so no power off and on and no gas valve.

I tried the empty paper towel tube trick (I think Carol suggested) to verify the pilot light for refrigerator was on. I had to squeeze the end of the tube a little to block out light, but it worked.

Even though I have answered my own questions, I'll leave the post for reference.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
It's easier to understand if you divide it into its parts- steps 1 through 5 are initial "safety steps" taken to insure that everything's working properly and there's no stray gas vapor present during ignition etc. The valve referred to is the one on the furnace. Don't shut the tank off, since then there'd be no gas present to "test for"!

Steps 6 through 9 are the actual ignition instructions, presumably taken after one's gone through all the earlier safety rigamarole.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #3

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
It's easier to understand if you divide it into its parts- steps 1 through 5 are initial "safety steps" taken to insure that everything's working properly and there's no stray gas vapor present during ignition etc. The valve referred to is the one on the furnace. Don't shut the tank off, since then there'd be no gas present to "test for"!
The question was based on the manual saying there was a valve on the furnace to turn on and off. But there is no access to the valve except by turning the thermostat to Off or Not Off. These companies should hire me to try to follow their instructions. If I can follow the instructions as written, they're gold. Or maybe they could just see if a secretary could successfully follow them as written.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Here is what I do:
I have an active propane detector turned on and running.
I air out the camper.
I turn on the propane tank
I then go inside and lite the cooking stove so it purges the air out of the line
then after the burners are burning good
I remove the cover of the thermostat, adjust the heat setting so the furnace will not turn on, turn on the thermostat switch then adjust the heat setting so the furnace will lite.

Should furnace not lite the first time, manually cycle it a couple of times until the line is purged and it liters.

Note: On our camper, the hot water heater is past the furnace so I light it B4 I light the furnace I order to purge the air out of the line.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
On the thermostat on my Suburban there are two switches - the top controls the temperature settings the bottom one is the on and off switch for the furnace. In order to start the furnace all you need to do is make sure the switch on the thermostat is on, the propane tank is turn on, then turn the temperature up on the thermostat.

Pretty sure the valve shut-off switch they are talking about is the on and off switch on the thermostat.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #6

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
On the thermostat on my Suburban there are two switches - the top controls the temperature settings the bottom one is the on and off switch for the furnace. In order to start the furnace all you need to do is make sure the switch on the thermostat is on, the propane tank is turn on, then turn the temperature up on the thermostat.

Pretty sure the valve shut-off switch they are talking about is the on and off switch on the thermostat.
That's what I decided.

I just have a thermostat with an Off setting and temperature. Just 1 dial.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
That's what I decided.

I just have a thermostat with an Off setting and temperature. Just 1 dial.
Yes a little different than mine. If the switch on the thermostat is set to off there is no gas going to furnace.

BTW the reason they say smell for gas is if you do happen to smell gas something is wrong and you should shut it right down. Also if when you first turn it on and you hear it continually clicking - that means its trying to light it and its not happening - again shut if right off as that also indicates something isn't right.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #8

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yes a little different than mine. If the switch on the thermostat is set to off there is no gas going to furnace.

BTW the reason they say smell for gas is if you do happen to smell gas something is wrong and you should shut it right down. Also if when you first turn it on and you hear it continually clicking - that means its trying to light it and its not happening - again shut if right off as that also indicates something isn't right.
They said to smell for gas BEFORE you turn it on.

Tags
furnace, light, lighting