Glo Warm - Blue Flame/Infrared Heaters - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Surfside
Came across these tonight, looking like something that could work as a replacement heater. Prices are pretty good and it says that no venting is required

http://12.153.20.71/glowarm/index.html

KJ
kentj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:10 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Is it these ones?
http://www.masterdist.net/glowarm/
Old 10-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
The blue flame heaters section says:

"All propane heaters require a 100 lb. tank or larger!"

I'd need to increase my tongue space.....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Quote:
The blue flame heaters section says:

"All propane heaters require a 100 lb. tank or larger!"

I'd need to increase my tongue space.....
"Do not operate above 4500 ft elevation."

Also limit your travels.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi:Kentj... We tried an electric infared heater in our 13' Boler. Took it back... Have you ever tried to sleep next to the
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:46 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
We just bought a Olympian wave 3 portable heater, it looked like the best bang for the buck, small, portable, and safe enough for our camper. We had considered the Mr Heater Buddy, but it just seemed a little too big, and would be a gas hog with a minimum of 3000btu's. I looked at many of the other heaters out there, including the blueflame, and the problem I found was they are intended for larger homes, with big propane tanks. Good find though, if you need to heat your home.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
April....
We Also just purchased an Olympian wave 3 with the optional portable feet and while we will only use it while not sleeping we couldn't be happier with it.
Joe/Lin
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
I imagine it's best to heat up the camper then shut it off when going to sleep, unless it's just soooo cold you can't do that, in which case, you might have to wake up and turn it on for a bit, and lose a little sleep. I know these are supposed to be safe to use inside, as long as it is properly vented, but I can see the concern in leaving it running when you sleep. I am glad to hear good reports, I did some digging online, and read a few reviews about it. Seems like a good unit for what we need. We also got the feet so we can move it around.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
April...
There was one of the "Moderators" on this forum that had i believe was a boler and she installed the Olympian on the left side as you come in the door.... but here's the good part. she had an outside vent down low about level with the floor where she mounted the olympian and had that vent connected to a tube that she had connected to an inside vent right next to the olympian that would supply air to it and then she would crack an upper vent to complete the air intake and exhaust.... really impressed me the way she did it and if i can find the post i will put it on here.
Joe

Update: I found it...it was Gina D that did the mod..... nice job gina
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...pian+burro+guts
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry

Thank you. I have been struggling to figure out how to do something similar with my 17. I don't want to remove the furnace, I want to add the Wave heater.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:22 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I recall that one of the Casita owners installed an Olympian on the inside of one of the kitchen cabinet doors with a flexible LP line. Close door and heater is out of the way. Could set it up to also have a flex air pipe on kitchen side of egg.

Drawback is that it takes up some cabinet space but the top half of that lost is likely unused anyway.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I had considered mounting one one the OUTside of my lower closet door. This would put the heater a little closer to the living area of my rig.

The air inatke and running of the gas line would require quite a bit t do it that way tho.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
I permanently installed an Olympian Wave6 just underneath the closet door on my Scamp 13'. The Wave 6 can be installed either horizonally or vertically, but horizonally fits this space perfectly and gives it the required clearance. Like Gina, I vented mine to the outside (through the closet). I usually open either the roof vent a few inches, or else one of the windows by the dinette.

Nice thing about the wave6 is that it has three heat settings. The "high" setting is overkill for the 13', but you can warm it up real quick on high, and then turn it to "low" and keep it warm and cozy even in freezing weather.

I sleep with mine on with no problems, but I have a vent installed behind the heater, always crack the window near my head, and have a CO2 alarm. The Olympian models also have a safely shutoff if oxygen is low. I camp at high elevation cold climates, and these are the best way to go - very safe, very warm, and use no electricity unlike a suburban furnace.

Jake Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:12 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Like Gina, I want to keep our forced-air furnace but like the idea of having a small catalytic heater for our 5er. If I put one in I'll install it at the back of our trailer under the dinette table. That'll mean we can't use it to heat the trailer when we use the dinette as a bed, but since we tend to sleep in the loft and leave the dinette table up most of the time it would work for us. I guess the other option would be to install it mid-trailer just below the existing furnace, but then we'd loose out on easy access to the cabinet space there.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:06 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
Quote:
Like Gina, I want to keep our forced-air furnace but like the idea of having a small catalytic heater for our 5er. If I put one in I'll install it at the back of our trailer under the dinette table. That'll mean we can't use it to heat the trailer when we use the dinette as a bed, but since we tend to sleep in the loft and leave the dinette table up most of the time it would work for us. I guess the other option would be to install it mid-trailer just below the existing furnace, but then we'd loose out on easy access to the cabinet space there.
Peter -

If you put it back under the dinette table, you probably won't be able to sit there while using it either - it would cook your legs. These are radiant heaters, so they work by heating objects, not the air like with a furnace.
Jake Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #16

Trailer: Danzer Trailer
I have one of the Kozy Heaters in my 6x10 enclosed trailer and use it only to heat the trailer b4 bed. I shut it off and use a Colman cat. heater during the night to maintain the heat. By morning it is cold again and we re light the Kozy Heater. The trailer is only 60 sq. feet but the heater is for a 300 sq foot rooms. And yes it says to use a 100 lb tank but I use the 20 lb and it works just fine.

Here is the one I use...

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d64/spen...1885/heater.jpg
Russell Love is offline   Reply With Quote