Grease for Scamp Tongue Jack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Grease for Scamp Tongue Jack

Dear Fellow FGRV Friends,
I have a 13' Scamp Standard that I just finished putting up on jacks for the winter. After using the tongue jack for the job, I happened to take off the little silver cover off the top of the tongue jack to examine the gears, and noticed it could use some more grease.
The grease that's in there is an almost forest green color, but it has a slight translucent quality to it. Thinking it was a synthetic product called "green grease" that I've heard of, I went and bought a cartridge only to find that the green grease is opaque and not what's already in there.
I put a call into Scamp but they must have been swamped as it went straight to voicemail. Does anybody know what type of grease Scamp puts in there from the factory? I would really appreciate your help, and thanks a bunch!

CampyTime
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Most likely Scamp had nothing to do with the manufacture or assembly of the tongue jack. They probably just buy it from some outside source and attach it to their trailers. You'll just have to guess what grease may be compatible with what is in there unless the old grease can be removed and start over. If there is grease on the gears I wouldn't worry about it.Over the 30 year time period I worked on trucks, the company changed grease brands several times with no concern that we were "mixing" typoes of grease.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #3

New York
Registry
Thanks for your reply. It is an Atwood jack, so I looked up on their website at the product manuals, and all they mention is "wheel bearing grease," no certain brand or type. Just did a google search and there are hundreds of brands. The grease that's in there is a forest green, rather translucent, which led me to believe that it was synthetic. Is that true? I always thought petroleum based greases were either black or dark grey in color, while the greens/reds were synthetic, but I admit I'm just a newbie to all of this.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Wendy there is an actual product called Green Grease & yes it can be used on wheel bearings & yes its synthetic. The data sheet and info on it can be found at www.greengrease.net
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Just put in any type of wheel bearing grease in the tongue jack as it doesn't matter.
It is basically in there to prevent rust in the first place.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
agreed, it is not a critical lubrication area.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #7

New York
Registry
Thank you everyone for your replies about the grease. I did go out and get that "Green Grease" that you mentioned Carol...rainy and cold today so I'm laying low till tomorrow. I'm just going to put it all around the gears/teeth with my fingers and goop it in there good. Have a great evening and weekend and my gratitude to you all for the thoughtful and speedy replies!

Campy Time (Wendy)

Tags
scamp