Greasing the hitch and ball - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2019, 02:01 PM   #1

Name: Terrill
Trailer: SCAMP
AZ
Greasing the hitch and ball

Does anyone grease the hitch and the ball? I see post on other trailering sites where some do, some don't. Also, if you do, what do you use and do you clean it off and reapply before each use? Do you cover it between hitching up time?
I currently grease mine up and cover it up with a tennis ball when not in use.
cactus-terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:08 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus-terry View Post
Does anyone grease the hitch and the ball? I see post on other trailering sites where some do, some don't. Also, if you do, what do you use and do you clean it off and reapply before each use? Do you cover it between hitching up time?
I currently grease mine up and cover it up with a tennis ball when not in use.
Here is an article from e-trailer which discusses the subject.
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-rust-pr...intenance.aspx
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:40 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Here is an article from e-trailer which discusses the subject.
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-rust-pr...intenance.aspx
Yes, and they want to sell you 4 ounces of grease for 9.99 plus shipping.

Sometimes I do use regular chassis lube on my hitch, but in gritty, dirty environments the lube holds the grit.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:46 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have a spray can of white lithium grease. I spray it up into the hitch and leave it to find its own way to the ball.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:36 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Yes, and they want to sell you 4 ounces of grease for 9.99 plus shipping.

Sometimes I do use regular chassis lube on my hitch, but in gritty, dirty environments the lube holds the grit.
Well yes of course they want to sell you products but that does not mean they don't have good advice to offer as well as a clear description and not a lot of "unusual" commentary to go along with it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:37 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Greasing the ball is a good idea, especially with a WDH. But it doesn't get to the whole mechanism. I find it best to spray the latch from underneath with WD40 and get everything that moves. I also keep a small squeeze tube of bearing grease handy so I can put a little dab on the ball, now and then, before connecting. When the ball begins to look dry, I do it again. It's not really necessary to grease the ball, but it keeps it from galling and wearing. The latch hough, works much better with some penetrating oil on it. Then the problem becomes getting greasy whenever you touch the ball.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #7

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
I grease the ball to keep it from squeaking (I hate squeaks!) then use this $2.40 Wally World special to cover the ball and keep my pant legs and shinbones from getting grease stains when not hitched.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Curt-Manu...iABEgK1oPD_BwE
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I was advised by the manager of an RV repair faciliity that also did trailer transportation that aluminum foil on the ball worked as well as grease and was cleaner. I've used it, but will admit that I usually just leave it dry.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:55 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I've heard people also use wax paper. I'm conventional, so I use white lithium grease. I do have a ball cover, but I always remove the stinger when I unhitch. We keep our clothes in the back of the tug, and if my wife bangs it with her shin, I'm in big trouble!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:27 PM   #10

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
I've had the trailer really creak and groan when the ball was dry. I carry a small container of bearing grease with me to solve the problem. I cover the ball if it's on the car without the trailer.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:58 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eberhardt View Post
I've had the trailer really creak and groan when the ball was dry.

The creaks and groans confirm that the trailer is still attached.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:19 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Greasing the hitch and ball

Is that kind of like how my aches and pains confirm I’m still alive?

There are better ways to confirm your trailer is still there. Like mirrors. I do recall from another thread you have some aversion to looking backward. Of course the mirrors are actually in front of you, but with mirrors it's easy to get confused. [emoji6]

I have worked hard to minimize the aches and pains of age, and I have also worked hard to make towing a trailer quiet and smooth. That includes a properly adjusted coupler, a well lubricated ball, and use of an anti-rattle device on the drawbar attachment.

But if you enjoy sound effects, try a friction sway control bar. They’re designed to have metal grinding on metal. One FB poster calls his “Moaning Myrtle.”

Who thought towing could be so sexy?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:01 AM   #13

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
... and I have also worked hard to make towing a trailer quiet and smooth. That includes a properly adjusted coupler, a well lubricated ball, and use of an anti-rattle device on the drawbar attachment.
I've been amazed at how much quieter and better behaved our various trailers have become since using a simple hitch anti-rattle device on our tow vehicle. I didn't realize how much metal slap and slop was going on between the receiver and hitch bar until I stopped it by installing one of these (see link).
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Anti-...er/RM-061.html
There are several other models/designs that I assume also perform well.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:58 AM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I use a anti-rattle device also, along with the stinger with a piece of metal inserted the same diameter as your pin. I forget what the hitch ball is called. I got it at E-trailer. Cuts down on the noise.

Correction- I got it at Amazon. It is called the cushioned ball mount. Works well. Pricey though,but i got it with $$$s off
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #15

Name: PCO6
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
I maintain all of my vehicles (4 Jeeps - basic lube, oil & filter) every 6,000 km and lube the ball when I do. It's on the check list. I use bearing grease, same as what I use for lubing the front suspension. I always have a hitch cover on when it's not in use. Most of the time they are removed and sitting on a shelf in the garage. I lube the trailer hitches before I use them .. nothing fancy, spray lithium, which isn't a perfect mix with bearing grease but it's easy to do. I give everything a quick wipe with a Scott paper towel before regreasing.
PCO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #16

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have never lubed a trailer ball on any of the various kinds of trailers I have pulled over the years, nor have I ever seen anybody else do so. Honestly I have never thought about it nor had an issue it would solve as far as I know. I have lubed the moving portions of the coupler and that certainly helps.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #17

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
I use Reese, hitch ball lube. Not only the hitch but also the WDH and anti sway bar. Have 1/2 a container left after 2.5 yrs use. I don't wipe off just add more when needed.

Mark
Old 04-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #18

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I also use white lithium grease once a year plus my leveling jacks they work far better with grease.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:39 AM   #19

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
A few years ago I bought an Andersen greaseless 2" hitch ball. The top half of the ball is a (replaceable) nylon cap. It has worked very well and I've seen no excessive wear so far. Pretty quiet as well. No grease on it to speak of, just whatever came off inside the hitch.

I don't have the Anderson hitch but I wanted to try the hitch ball.
Attached Thumbnails
Greaseless hitch ball.jpg  
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:03 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Greasing the ball is a good idea, especially with a WDH. But it doesn't get to the whole mechanism. I find it best to spray the latch from underneath with WD40 and get everything that moves. .
FYI, WD40 is NOT a lubricant. It is a penetrating "oil" for loosening stuck parts.
Walmart sells a hitch ball grease, in a small jar.
Main thing is to not over do. They also sell a plastic cover that you can press over the ball when unhitched to keep your pants clean.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote