Guidance for repairing this fiberglass damage - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2021, 01:40 PM   #21

Name: Peter
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
What will Satisfy You?

The decision of whether or not to complete the repair yourself depends on a number of factors; time, money, interest, and expected results are a few.

If you are not interested in learning fiberglass repair, or think you may never use and improve your new skills in the future, then I would recommend taking it to a boat yard (I am a retired boatbuilder).

I disagree with the comments here that you can simply look up instructions or watch videos and effect an acceptable repair. Fiberglass repair is an art and there are many steps to it in achieving structurally sound and attractive repairs. This applies particularly to your 'stump' photograph. It takes years to develop the skills to make quality repairs.

Don't care that much about what it looks like, have time to burn, don't mind spending money on products and equipment you are unlikely to use again, short of money, just trying to get by? Do it yourself under those conditions and you will likely be satisfied with the results.

Glad you are attempting to address the problem and seeking advice on your options. I'm sure you will improve the trailer one way or another no matter what course you choose to follow.
Cottonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 03:20 PM   #22

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
The decision of whether or not to complete the repair yourself depends on a number of factors; time, money, interest, and expected results are a few.

If you are not interested in learning fiberglass repair, or think you may never use and improve your new skills in the future, then I would recommend taking it to a boat yard (I am a retired boatbuilder).

I disagree with the comments here that you can simply look up instructions or watch videos and effect an acceptable repair. Fiberglass repair is an art and there are many steps to it in achieving structurally sound and attractive repairs. This applies particularly to your 'stump' photograph. It takes years to develop the skills to make quality repairs.

Don't care that much about what it looks like, have time to burn, don't mind spending money on products and equipment you are unlikely to use again, short of money, just trying to get by? Do it yourself under those conditions and you will likely be satisfied with the results.

Glad you are attempting to address the problem and seeking advice on your options. I'm sure you will improve the trailer one way or another no matter what course you choose to follow.
Agreed that before attempting something as significant as fibreglass work an interest and time are essential. It also helps to have similar skills in ones wheelhouse. I attempted some FG repair work to the corner of our trailer and replaced the belly band and love the results. I’ll try to attach a photo. You’d never know that there had been work done. This job would have cost me an arm and a leg to have someone do the same work. Someone on this site told me last year that I shouldn’t be afraid of fibreglass and just go for it. I am glad that I listened! 😊
Attached Thumbnails
37215F01-2A96-432F-B382-67320AEC5145.jpg  
Nanph is offline   Reply With Quote