Guidance for repairing this fiberglass damage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2021, 08:08 AM   #1

Name: Joshua
Trailer: Scamp
NY
Guidance for repairing this fiberglass damage

I am looking for some guidance/recommendations for repairing this damage on the new to me '87 Scamp, from the previous owner. I have no experience in fiberglass repairs so I would love to have some suggestions and reference materials that have worked for all of you in the past. Thank you very much for your tips in advance.

The larger damage is probably about 3x2 inches in size. The top portion is still attached, I'm guessing they pulled into a stump or something like that. The second damage is minor but I would like to repair it as well before I replace that bottom black strip. Speaking of that black strip. What is its purpose? I see that Scamp sells replacement of that strip. is it a difficult thing to replace?

Edit: If someone could tell me how to flip the pictures I posted so they arent upside down that would be great as well. Im really good at these things, I promise.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2976.jpg   IMG_2977.jpg  

JEVanHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:35 AM   #2

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
Right side up pictures

Easiest way to upload right-side-up pictures is to ensure they are stored right-side-up on your computer.

Find them in your computer's folder and double click the picture. When it comes up in the default viewer you'll be able to rotate them and then save them right-side-up to that same location (overwrite).
Then when you up load them to this venue they'll be correct.
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:07 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Only works if you’re using a traditional computer. Many of us are accessing the site directly from mobile devices. Easiest way is to take all pictures in default orientation (landscape mode, home button on right). Crop as needed to eliminate unwanted background.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:12 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Crop as needed to eliminate unwanted background.
If they can't download to a photo app to correct the orientation, they are unlikely to be able to crop.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:22 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If they can't download to a photo app to correct the orientation, they are unlikely to be able to crop.
Dunno, Glenn. It seems to work for me, and I’ve not had any trouble loading correctly oriented photos directly from my phone. I almost always crop and do some exposure and other adjustments using the phone’s built-in editor before posting, so maybe that’s the key. When I have a little time I’m going to experiment with non-standard orientations.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:24 PM   #6

Name: Grace
Trailer: Casita 16F SD
Florida
Your question

I know you could fix this with fiberglass resin and fabric but if affordable I'd go to a boat repair for a pro looking finished look. I do my own only if it's then going to be covered and not publicly visible because it's a real art to doing it and having it look smooth.
CountrysideGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:27 PM   #7

I'm told you can also fix orientation on a phone ( at least an iPhone ), along with crop and other adjustments.
Old 10-31-2021, 06:29 PM   #8

NY
Interestingly enough the pictures are oriented the correct way on my desktop where I posted them from. No idea what happened there.
Old 10-31-2021, 06:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Hey Joshua, You have very simple repairs there once you know the products. There is a thread on the site all about fiberglass repair, how to do it and achieve pro results.
I dont have a link for you but I'm sure someone will post it.
I recommend to get to know the products and procedures learning on a table or flat space instead of "learning" on your trailer.
You tube also has lots of totorials on fiberglass.
Do your research, teach yourself how to use the products and
you will be very happy with YOUR! results.
Fred
Old 10-31-2021, 07:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEVanHorn View Post
Interestingly enough the pictures are oriented the correct way on my desktop where I posted them from. No idea what happened there.
Do a 'Save As'. It should ask if you want to replace existing. Replace and it should post as you viewed it.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:16 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
lots of rock chip damage evident in your pics

There is clearly lots of rock chip damage evident in your pics that probably extends beyond the edge of the pics. I would recommend repairing all of that damage as well. I've dealt with repairing rock chip damage on FG trailers I have owned. This damage is cumulative, getting progressively worse over many years.

Can't tell from these pics, but if fiberglass exterior shell damage such as rock chips is limited in depth to the gel coat layer, then this can be repairing using a fairing compound. However, if the damage extends down into the fiberglass material (as is evident in your pics) then new fiberglass material should be incorporated into the repair to re-introduce strength to the shell.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:20 AM   #12

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
Ask one of the kids to show you how to rotate the photos...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2976.jpg   IMG_2977.jpg  

steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:06 AM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I thought someone may have link bookmarked and post it for you.
Didnt happen so I searched google, here it is.
A lot of people have different ideas on what to use, epoxy etc. I suggest you follow the author of the thread, DWhite on products and practices. I too have a fair amount of experience using fiberglass and DWhite has it all right IMO.
Fred
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ass-52498.html
Old 11-01-2021, 12:47 PM   #14

NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve67 View Post
Ask one of the kids to show you how to rotate the photos...
As a 38 year old who feels very comfortable with technology I am impressed and still so confused as to how I screwed it up. Thank you.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:52 PM   #15

NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
I thought someone may have link bookmarked and post it for you.
Didnt happen so I searched google, here it is.
A lot of people have different ideas on what to use, epoxy etc. I suggest you follow the author of the thread, DWhite on products and practices. I too have a fair amount of experience using fiberglass and DWhite has it all right IMO.
Fred
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ass-52498.html
thank you very much for linking the post. I will read it over.
Old 11-06-2021, 11:28 AM   #16

Name: Joe
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Florida
West system

All of it looks repairable without a lot of trouble, including the rock damage.
There is a instruction manual (pdf) file on this site, downloadable for free. Give some good info.
Good luck.
https://www.westsystem.com/instructi...product-guide/
Joe boatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:34 AM   #17

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
Hi Joshua,
Your repairs are very doable. I’ve learned on my canoe and trailer through trial and error over the last couple of years. You’ll want to make sure that you have favourable weather conditions and/or work indoors. You’ll want to start with a few layers of epoxy and fibre. Dab and don’t pull on the fibre. You’ll top it with a filler like bondo which is forgivable and easy to smooth and sand out.
Nanph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:51 AM   #18

NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanph View Post
Hi Joshua,
Your repairs are very doable. I’ve learned on my canoe and trailer through trial and error over the last couple of years. You’ll want to make sure that you have favourable weather conditions and/or work indoors. You’ll want to start with a few layers of epoxy and fibre. Dab and don’t pull on the fibre. You’ll top it with a filler like bondo which is forgivable and easy to smooth and sand out.
Thank you very much for the info and encouragement. I think the next thing I need to think about is paint once i have the bondo on it. Can anyone point me in the right direction for paint/primer as well. Thank you.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:48 PM   #19

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
I’ve recently finished fibreglassing the belly band and painting my trillium so you’re talking my language. Painting the whole trailer was a massive job. My suggestion is to do the spot repair(s). Then polish up your existing gel coat and spot paint with a colour matched marine paint. If you prime with something like a prekote and feather in the paint you should have a good looking result. Take your time to get a smooth finish with your fibreglass and bondo first though.
Nanph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:09 PM   #20

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountrysideGrace View Post
I know you could fix this with fiberglass resin and fabric but if affordable I'd go to a boat repair for a pro looking finished look. I do my own only if it's then going to be covered and not publicly visible because it's a real art to doing it and having it look smooth.

Most definitely the people that repair boats can make it look like it never happened. If you want the full treatment they can redo the entire surface and make it look like a new trailer. Never had my Casita done but I had a sailboat repaired and you could not tell it had ever been damaged.

Marine insurance agents are a good place to get a recommendation. Good luck.
JaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote