Has anybody shaved off their rat fur? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2018, 05:08 PM   #41

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
So ummm...is this going to be an "electric shaver" like "Norelco"? Or ummm.. maybe a manual shaver with multiple blades for a "close smooth shave" AND ohhh..what shaving cream u going to use? Yup... "interesting" is a vast understatement!
I have to add, whether I shave my rat fur or not is a very personal question!!

Amy, I suggest you add a Maax Air cover overtop your vent so you can leave it open 24/7 with the vent fan running. Easy and not expensive. It will help air that stuff out.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:06 PM   #42

Name: amy
Trailer: scamp 13
ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I have to add, whether I shave my rat fur or not is a very personal question!!

Amy, I suggest you add a Maax Air cover overtop your vent so you can leave it open 24/7 with the vent fan running. Easy and not expensive. It will help air that stuff out.
I'm thinking of replacing the AC with the Maxxair then I can double it up!
amy in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #43

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy in maine View Post

I have dust allergies and it's revolting to look at, it makes me itch just looking at it! lol
I also have tremendous allergies, especially house dust and kitty cats. Plus I have asthma on top of allergies. With all due respect, this is something that should have been considered before the trailer was purchased. I learned years ago to avoid anything that kicks in my allergies. If I could have seen this coming, I would have made a different decision. Good luck, whatever you decide.
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #44

Name: Robert
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
Don't do it I have a parris pacer and someone had the same idea and it looks like the old "popcorn" ceilings from the 60's and 70's yuk!
Beauew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:54 AM   #45

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Colorado
One of the main purposes of the "rats fur" is to deal with the condensation. As a high altitude mountaineer and winter camper, dealing with the condensation inside a small tent is always an issue. It would be the same with a small camper like the 13' Scamp we have. If the inside of your Scamp were the same as the outside, it would be covered in dew every morning...
ourscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:25 PM   #46

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
I also have tremendous allergies, especially house dust and kitty cats. Plus I have asthma on top of allergies. With all due respect, this is something that should have been considered before the trailer was purchased. I learned years ago to avoid anything that kicks in my allergies. If I could have seen this coming, I would have made a different decision. Good luck, whatever you decide.
Hmm...well it doesn't say ANYTHING about the rat fur on their website you wouldn't know unless you've actually seen a Scamp or was on forums like this. I've only been in regular campers and all had that vinyl? walls so I just assumed all were like that. I was going to buy new right from Scamp but found out they had a waiting list and right after I got a tremendous deal so I jumped on it before I did any research or even thought to look for forums.

That's why I have to do with what I have
Old 07-07-2018, 04:27 PM   #47

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauew View Post
Don't do it I have a parris pacer and someone had the same idea and it looks like the old "popcorn" ceilings from the 60's and 70's yuk!
Yeah I'll have to see how it'll look, I'll keep that in mind!
Old 07-07-2018, 04:28 PM   #48

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourscamp View Post
One of the main purposes of the "rats fur" is to deal with the condensation. As a high altitude mountaineer and winter camper, dealing with the condensation inside a small tent is always an issue. It would be the same with a small camper like the 13' Scamp we have. If the inside of your Scamp were the same as the outside, it would be covered in dew every morning...
Oh ok, I thought the foil thing under the rat fur did that? I'll shave off the closet and check periodically for moisture thank you!
Old 07-07-2018, 04:50 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think you should sell your Scamp and use the profits ( you say you got a great deal ) to buy a trailer that suits you.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:54 PM   #50

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think you should sell your Scamp and use the profits ( you say you got a great deal ) to buy a trailer that suits you.
Maybe! We'll see
Old 07-07-2018, 06:24 PM   #51

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I second Glenn's observation.
Sell the Rat Fur and buy something that will work for you.
Shaving the fur will be a far bigger job than you can imagine as will psinting or whatever.
Find a nice ensolite insulated camper or one of the double walled fiberglass in and out like the Oliver or Burro.
Why foul up a nice trailer and kill it's resale value and create a lot of work for maybe a fix.
Having completely rebuilt a Scamp 16 I can tell you every job takes twice to three times the time and money you think it will.
My wife is very sensitive and the se sensitivities drove the complete gutting (already ensolite) replacing the floor (fiberglassed both sides) new cabinets twin beds new mattresses everything.
It will be cheaper and far quicker to buy what you want, ready to go and sell the Scamp to someone who will appreciate it Rat Fur and all.
I think the term Rat Fur for the marine headliner material is at least half the problem.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #52

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: Looking for
Pennsylvania
Amy, the reason Scamp switched to carpeting the interior with rat fur was to prevent condensation forming on the walls and ceiling. Any smooth, hard surface would be more prone to ‘sweating’.
Pocket_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #53

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
From watching other people those with allergies that are heavily effected usually stay inside. Therefore I would suggest that you go camping with borrowed or rented tent for a week-end or tow to see if you really like it. For many people the work and being subjected to outdoor sounds, and smells are more than they want to put up with. Some are very afraid of predators which effects their enjoyment.

You can also run into the smell of somebodies generator. Lots of stuff out there that can create allergic problems. If nothing else get out for day.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #54

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 test on a short outing after thorough cleaning. If it bothers your allergies, sell and consider one of the double wall trailers. The great news since you bought right you probably will make money on it!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #55

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
From watching other people those with allergies that are heavily effected usually stay inside. Therefore I would suggest that you go camping with borrowed or rented tent for a week-end or tow to see if you really like it. For many people the work and being subjected to outdoor sounds, and smells are more than they want to put up with. Some are very afraid of predators which effects their enjoyment.

You can also run into the smell of somebodies generator. Lots of stuff out there that can create allergic problems. If nothing else get out for day.

I have pretty intense allergies and asthma, and in my case the worst problems are indoors (mold, dust, tobacco smoke residue, etc). For example, my symptoms improved dramatically when I retired (no more dusty, moldy, tobacco smoke residue filled offices and hotels!). The best environment for me is the outdoors. I just avoid dusty, moldy tents, sleeping bags, campers, etc.

EDIT: Also I don't have an aversion "rat fur", etc. However, I recall working in offices where cubicles were fabric lined, conference room walls were lined with carpeting, etc. I don't think those surfaces were cleaned in 20 years!!
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #56

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Amy in Maine, I feel for you. My allergies to dust and mold are mild compared to what you are going through and I'm doing fine in my 13' Scamp of 2011 (purchased new). The trip from the factory in Backus, MN was a bit rough on me as the trailer was still off-gassing. Since then my experience has been fine. I live in California and store my trailer outdoors 1 hour from my home. It's not really "always sunny in California" but, where I live we do not have the weather fluctuations that you do. You'll need to be careful where and how you store your trailer.

As to BORING, I'm with you there! I call myself "The Gleeful Glamper" 'cause I LOVE to decorate my now "cute as a button" SCAMP. At first I strongly disliked the "ratfur" but now I embrace it by hanging postcards and other decor with "cubicle clips" I purchased from STAPLES. https://www.staples.com/Staples-Cubi...product_510399 I've posted some of my inside and outside glamping efforts below. You can find others by going to the "SEARCH" button on this website, drop down to "Google Search" put in my name "Gilda" and/or "bedding" or "decor" and you will find many of my related postings. You will also find others who love to decorate their trailers.

Many forum members gave you some great advice and I can see that you are following your own best knowledge and instincts. Whether you keep this trailer or not you might want to switch out any foam cushions or mattresses for latex. Latex is a natural product that many folks who have allergies to prefer and is healthier for all of us. The downsides are cost and weight.

Of course, with allergies, you need to be very careful about everything. This last trip I noticed that the bed pillows that I store in the closed overhead cabinet were developing mold, argghhhh! Now, between trips, I take all bedding & cloth decor home to clean and store in a dry aerated area before I go on the next trip. I prop up all the cushions so they have a chance to breathe in the aerated trailer. One forum member suggested using a special mesh used in boats to put under cushions to let them breathe. https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1818021

Well Amy, all that said, camping in a FGRV is a ton of fun! I, and many others, wish you well in finding a healthy modification solution or a "new to you" trailer! Do keep us all posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Doug's art and Scamp 030.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 028.jpg  

Doug's art and Scamp 026.jpg   038.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #57

California
Registry
I just found this reference to DRY-Mat on the Ship Shape Bedding website from England. https://shipshapebedding.co.uk/shop/dry-mat In it they describe, at length, why to use mesh.

Lookie here! I was just thinking our heater air filter looks just like the product we've been talking about and a 36" x 24" x 1" piece is washable and about $8 per piece. https://www.homedepot.com/p/True-Blu...4361/202195941 My calculations show that 4 pieces should fit a 45" x 6' bed as in a Scamp. Note: the mesh does not have to extend to the edges to work. My only concern is that it may compress too much.

This link tells you how to reduce and keep track of humidity... http://www.doityourselfrv.com/reduce...ld-forming-rv/
Old 07-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #58

ME
Thank you Gilda for the lovely photos, one can tell you must have put time and love in creating all that! Do you change out your decor each season? I'm assuming the first photos were winter and the leaves were fall?

For me it's more of practicality and keeping everything simple. I vacuum, mop, dust every day in my home so the less trinklets the less time I have to dust/clean everything! I don't have ANY pillows on my sofa right now because my kids and dog just keep putting it on the floor so I just got rid of them all I know, for a decorator like you, you must be saying NO PILLOWS??!! lol
That's why I'm trying to make everything as simple and easy as I can get for this little scamp

We've camped in this scamp 6 times and just came back from our 6th. It has all been less than 3 nights my kids are in summer camp during the day right now so our long trip won't start until the beginning of August when their camp ends. We're going to go on a 5 week camping trip! I work remotely so trying to set up the cell/wifi signal booster setup before we do. I did take 2 weeks off but the remaining 3 weeks will be quite interesting whether or not I'm able to work on the road

This outing was my first since I washed all the foam, and my allergies has been drastically better so I'm thinking I'm going on the right path. No headaches, no the 5 sneezing in a row sneezes, but I did still have some nose stuffies and sniffles in the morning. But that was about it!

We established a routine and we're getting better at it each time. I designated a shelf in my garage and labeled the bins so the kids know where to put everything. Each bin has a label, this bin goes to the TV this goes under the sink this goes under the bench etc etc. So it's been a game for us timing it each time to get ready, this trip we broke the record and was able to get everything ready in 13 minutes! We're aiming 10 next time lol After getting home we just put each bin back into the shelf and I always take the cushions out and lay it in the sun on our deck and wash the beddings and put it in our linen closets. I empty EVERYTHING in there and leave the cabinets open with the windows and the door open unless it's going to rain. And the next day I'll go in and vacuum everything and wipe it all down. I just love stepping into a fresh clean nothingness so I don't leave anything in there even in the summer time. My kids like to hang out in it with their friends so it's best to not have anything in it, the kids will just mess it all up

That's the reason for the sliders too it'll be easier to leave it open without bumping your head on the open cabinet doors

I can't wait for winter so I can start working on the things I want to change. But each time we go out there's yet another thing that needs/want to change so by winter my list might be way way too long!

It's nothing that has to be done right away, it's all just those small things where you say IF it was this way or that it would be so much better/easier!
Old 07-11-2018, 10:35 AM   #59

California
Registry
Hi Amy,
I'm delighted to hear you found a way to live symptom-free in your trailer and that you and your family has enjoyed many happy camping trips! It's great that you can park your trailer at home. It makes everything so much easier!

This posting, while valuable for everyone with allergies, has become lengthy with everyone's comments. I suggest that you start another thread titled something like "Camping with Allergies". In the first posting you could copy and paste your most recent posting regarding your success and process in dealing with your trailer and allergies. If you do this, others who search "Allergies" will get your shortened post quickly without having to read the entire thread. And, you will receive more "camping with allergies" comments that can benefit us all!

Happy Camping!
Old 07-11-2018, 12:07 PM   #60

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Hi Amy,
I'm delighted to hear you found a way to live symptom-free in your trailer and that you and your family has enjoyed many happy camping trips! It's great that you can park your trailer at home. It makes everything so much easier!

This posting, while valuable for everyone with allergies, has become lengthy with everyone's comments. I suggest that you start another thread titled something like "Camping with Allergies". In the first posting you could copy and paste your most recent posting regarding your success and process in dealing with your trailer and allergies. If you do this, others who search "Allergies" will get your shortened post quickly without having to read the entire thread. And, you will receive more "camping with allergies" comments that can benefit us all!

Happy Camping!

Thank you for your reply, I don’t think I’m completely symptom free nor I may never will be.
I think it’s an ongoing battle, that’s what you have to put up with when you do have allergies especially if you’re in a tiny camper like this.
We take our shoes off and wipe my dogs paws off each time entering the camper but STILL there will always be dirt/dust by the entrance. I was against putting a mat or carpet by the entrance at first but I ended up having to sweep 10 billion times a day So right now I have a mat at the entrance and I shake it off and leave it outside when we go to sleep. Before bed time I sweep and wipe off the floors and counters so I won’t be breathing dust while sleeping. I think that’s allergic people's destiny lol

You can’t get away without doing anything about it. You’ll just have to KEEP doing/maintaining/cleaning. Is it worth it? Absolutely! When you see your kids having a blast with big smiles and are happy happy ANYTHING is worth it

Most of the time we’re outside so it’s fine no problems, it’s just before bedtime that you have to do the “work” and to some people it may be a hassle and not worth their time depending on how allergic you are.

So I think the only cure is “just keep at it” there’s no stopping! Haha…