Heat ? when boonedocking & NO Electric ?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2018, 12:39 PM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
cover for wave heater

I keep mine in a bag when not in use after tooling around in the az desert I see why.

dust over everything and inside too

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #22

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I've never been a fan of unvented combustion heaters due to the potential for carbon monoxide (co) build up however I have tested a number of these units and co accumulation wasn't an issue as long as they were working properly. If you have a co detector (one that actually works) you should be fine.
Carbon dioxide (co2) and water vapor are the main combustion products from these heaters. Opening a side window and the roof vent slightly will provide enough ventilation to accommodate both.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
I have used the little buddy heaters with no co issues as long as you keep the trailer ventalated and the more the better for condensation but the one problem I have with them is the amount of light they give off at night . Does anyone know of a way to cut down on the light like some kind of heat shield that can be placed in front or would that be just looking for trouble.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:58 PM   #24

Missouri
light from your heater

the wave isn't too bright I usually have ours on the kitchen counter but if I put it on the floor its not so bad.

I usually only run the wave on low so that cuts quite a bit of it down

bob
Old 02-19-2018, 04:45 PM   #25

Name: Elvin
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
For Canadian eyes. Just phoned Camco USA and the Olympic Wave 3100 is still not CSA approved and therefore not for sale in Canada. Pity. I have the original Wagon Master for which I can't find a replacement Gas Valve. So the Wave 3 would have been a good substitute.
omache27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:16 PM   #26

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
CSA Z-240/241 requirements prohibit any fuel burning device inside the living space. I think it will be a long time, if ever, before these are approved for Canadian use (legally anyway).
Whenever a used RV comes into a dealer, on trade, the first thing they do with a Catalytic heater is remove it prior to resale.
Laws in Canada a different from the US.
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by omache27 View Post
...I have the original Wagon Master for which I can't find a replacement Gas Valve. So the Wave 3 would have been a good substitute.
Not as good, I think. Isn't the Wagon Master a gravity furnace, and vented?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #28

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
I have used the Coleman Power Cat, the small one for years in a tent and Mr Heater Buddy in a pop up camper. I now have had the Wave 3 in a U-Hal CT13 4 years now. I Camp in all seasons. They all work great, Utilize the safety instructions for all three. Proper ventalation and use proper distance away from flamable items such as a coat or cloth. You can google the manuals on line, instructions are there. I recommend the Wave 3 in a small camper, no noise, easy to light, uses little propane, you can find them on sale from time to time. Good luck with your personal choice.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:12 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep,
If I should die before I 'wake,
I pray the Lord my Scamp to take.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:26 PM   #30

Name: Elvin
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Not as good, I think. Isn't the Wagon Master a gravity furnace, and vented?
True but the Wagon Master isn't working.
omache27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:19 AM   #31

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by omache27 View Post
True but the Wagon Master isn't working.
Yes, I did understand that. Just pointing out a fairly significant difference between the two types of heating units: gravity furnaces are vented; catalytic heaters are not. I've often wondered if new engineering and modern materials (ceramics, perhaps) could be brought to bear on the old gravity designs to revive them.

Safe, vented, efficient, compact, silent, and affordable propane heat without power... the Holy Grail. Everything else is a compromise in one direction or another.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:31 AM   #32

Missouri
gravity furnace

In my old selling days I stayed in motels still using those old furnaces they were quite and worked fine.

when we took our az trip recently we left with 1/2 tank of propane using the wave 3 heater we ran out of propane about 10 days in this tank did us all last spring and summer using the wave 3 and some propane for cooking.

as one poster mentioned follow the instructions and you will be safe!

bob
Old 02-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #33

Alberta
Registry
Jon. The unit’s attributes that you listed do exist, today. Units from Europe are starting to make their way to North America. Alde and Truma make safe, efficient, quiet, compact and vented units. The only trailer manufacturer I have seen using these is Airstream so far. They have on their Basecamp and soon to be released, Fiberglass NEST!!!!
Old 02-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #34

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Doctor View Post
Jon. The unit’s attributes that you listed do exist, today. Units from Europe are starting to make their way to North America. Alde and Truma make safe, efficient, quiet, compact and vented units. The only trailer manufacturer I have seen using these is Airstream so far. They have on their Basecamp and soon to be released, Fiberglass NEST!!!!
Interesting. I did google both of them, and it looks like they are water-based, boiler-type systems, no?
Old 02-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #35

Alberta
Registry
Jon. Alde is a Hydronic system which utilizes a boiler for domestic hot water and heating through “convectors” which are heater cores places around the perimeter of the coach. No fans but radiant heat at the walls. The Truma Combi is going to be the unit that the Trailer market should use. A unit about the size of an RV water heater. It instantly heats all domestic hot water and is a silent, blower heat system. 2.5” ducts carry heat out from the unit around the RV. It provides both hot water AND heat from LP AND AC 120 power.
I wish North America would get with the program and stop with the noisy furnaces and old style tank water heaters! [emoji84]
Old 02-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #36

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Jon, I've used the older gravity furnaces and really liked them. They were easy on the propane and more importantly, DIDN"T need any DC power which made them excellent for boondocking in colder weather.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #37

Missouri
sounds useful for the 100k rigs!!

bob
Old 02-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #38

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
In a gravity furnace how do you purge the burn chamber.
If the gas valve leaks , I don't want to be around.
I've had one of those wonderful gravity furnaces blow up in my face because the chamber was full of gas when ignition occured.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #39

Missouri
never thought of that one

steve I never thought of that! I was in a motel one night with one of these and something happened that was unsafe they called a furnace guy there was something happening that wasn't right to me but he said with that furnace it was legal he did fix something though! I just cant recall what it was.

I wonder why the furnace vent pipe didn't carry all those fumes up the chimley? I have had that blow-back it is scarey!

bob
Old 02-20-2018, 11:00 AM   #40

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
steve I never thought of that! I was in a motel one night with one of these and something happened that was unsafe they called a furnace guy there was something happening that wasn't right to me but he said with that furnace it was legal he did fix something though! I just cant recall what it was.

I wonder why the furnace vent pipe didn't carry all those fumes up the chimley? I have had that blow-back it is scarey!

bob
Propane is heavier than air
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote