Heat ? when boonedocking & NO Electric ?? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2018, 11:08 AM   #41

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
propane

got it! but there should have been some sort of draft maybe not strong enough to get the gas out of there but then I am not sure.

I have worked on gas heating stoves matter of fact just did a redo on a Vermont castings stove a guy sold me cheap because the Honeywell valve was no longer made and the repair guy told him it was not repairable. after 15 years I am taking out the unvented stove and putting this in I have to add b-vent pipe up through the roof though!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #42

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Steve, that's a good point, and I would be willing to compromise a little on the "no power" requirement to have a small blower perform that function. DC power consumption within the capacity of a modest solar panel to keep up is not an issue for me or most boondockers. The large blower moving the heated air is the noisy power hog.

Personally, I'm not interested in boiler-type systems. They might make sense for larger, full-featured RV's, but too complicated and too much plumbing for small, simple trailers like mine. We use water from jugs and heat it for washing on the stove.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #43

Missouri
yes

jon we have it down to under 1 gal a day for water that includes a generous pot of coffee to get our day started! we use disposables by the way makes things much simplier!

I wouldn't even consider a water based heating system in whatever rig I was buying. just too much work to winterize such a beast maybe they use windshield washer fluid to replace the water.

bob
Old 02-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #44

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I would believe that a sealed hydronic heating system using glycerin would make more sense than constantly draining and refilling the system with water . Glycerin is non toxic and has a heat transfer rate close to H20 and would not introduce oxygen into the system. One of the biggest drawbacks to hydronics vs a forced air furnace is COST . The furnace is relatively cheap , easy to install and works fairly well.
A hydronic system would probably require a pump to move the heated liquid through the fin tube radiation so there may not be any power savings over the fan in the furnace
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #45

Missouri
steve looked into ground system

steve I looked into a ground loop one time I found one I could buy and put in myself. I was going to use 3in or so pipe you had to fill it with windshield fluid a very lot of windshield fluid!

after debating that the cost then the cost of running the furnace fan I didn't feel I could come out very expensive even doing it myself. I also have an acre lake here I could have use.

I just wen with a high seer heat pump and gave it up but it was fun studying it!

bob
Old 02-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #46

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
With a gravity furnace you need to light your pilot light first. The amount of gas coming out when you depress the button to light the pilot is similar in volume to a butane lighter so it isn't likely to be sufficient to form much of a flammable mixture in the combustion chamber of your furnace. When the actual burner is activated the pilot light will ignite the gas to the burner before excessive accumulation occurs in the combustion chamber. If the pilot light goes out the thermocouple shuts the gas off.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #47

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
steve I looked into a ground loop one time I found one I could buy and put in myself. I was going to use 3in or so pipe you had to fill it with windshield fluid a very lot of windshield fluid!

after debating that the cost then the cost of running the furnace fan I didn't feel I could come out very expensive even doing it myself. I also have an acre lake here I could have use.

I just wen with a high seer heat pump and gave it up but it was fun studying it!

bob
Most areas do not allow toxic liquids to be used in ground or surface water heating systems . I worked on several system for the State of Minnesota , The U of Minnesota , the Federal Government and Private industry and all used a non toxic antifreeze.
Windshield washer fluid is toxic plus ground water heating systems can cause environmental damage
Old 02-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #48

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
With a gravity furnace you need to light your pilot light first. The amount of gas coming out when you depress the button to light the pilot is similar in volume to a butane lighter so it isn't likely to be sufficient to form much of a flammable mixture in the combustion chamber of your furnace. When the actual burner is activated the pilot light will ignite the gas to the burner before excessive accumulation occurs in the combustion chamber. If the pilot light goes out the thermocouple shuts the gas off.
You are assuming that the gas valve seals properly and did not leak gas into the burner chamber . Some building codes require redundant pilot and main gas valves with proof of closure to help prevent leakage from building up in the fire chamber . I lit off a commercial burner one time where there was a leaky pilot valve . The furnace exploded , destroying the fire chamber , chimney , bent the 8" I beams supporting the furnace and blew the burner inspection door off ( Door was bolted on with 1/2 bolts.)
I am just relaying my experiences from years of working on heating equipment residential , commercial and industrial.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #49

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I installed an Atwood II furnace in my Scamp 13. best option for me. Keeping the wife and I warm is very important to us.

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-349.htm
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #50

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Hi Steve. Usually you can smell the mercaptan if you have a faulty valve?
Sounds like quite an experience, lucky you weren't injured.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #51

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Now I am thinking that a battery powered blower might be a good idea when lighting the gravity furnace.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #52

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
Steve. Thank you for relating that story! Many people just don’t realize the power potential in LP. All gas valves used in RVs today, for water heaters and furnaces are all dual valve designs to reduce the chances of leakage through the valve. Also, the major reason that RV furnaces have gone to an automatic control system is for Combustion Chamber Purging prior to ignition. For the exact reason you highlighted - to flush the combustion chamber prior to ignition.
I declined a job for a fellow who had been in the habit of “filling up the furnace” to light it. There was a gas valve issue and a competitor of mine repaired the valve issue but didn’t check the heat exchanger. As a result of so many large explosions, the heat exchanger was blown apart. Needless to say, the poor old fella isn’t with us today. Very sad but preventable.
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #53

Name: Elvin
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Interesting that the Wagon Master gas valve that is not working is also a Honeywell (part # V5500B1078 2). Does anyone know of a replacement valve for the Honeywell?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0084.JPG  
omache27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:03 PM   #54

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Doctor View Post
Steve. Thank you for relating that story! Many people just don’t realize the power potential in LP. All gas valves used in RVs today, for water heaters and furnaces are all dual valve designs to reduce the chances of leakage through the valve. Also, the major reason that RV furnaces have gone to an automatic control system is for Combustion Chamber Purging prior to ignition. For the exact reason you highlighted - to flush the combustion chamber prior to ignition.
I declined a job for a fellow who had been in the habit of “filling up the furnace” to light it. There was a gas valve issue and a competitor of mine repaired the valve issue but didn’t check the heat exchanger. As a result of so many large explosions, the heat exchanger was blown apart. Needless to say, the poor old fella isn’t with us today. Very sad but preventable.
My specialty was steam boiler ( high and low pressure) ( Oil & propane & natural gas ) and industrial heaters. We designed the controls for the heaters and boilers used in various manufacturing
processes. I also taught heating cooling control and electric heat design at the local tech college . I am not trying to brag but one thing I did learn was how little people knew about the dangers of heating appliances . Once you've seen people badly burned the rules make sense and are not there just to make things complicated.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #55

Missouri
steve well I bet that was a long day dealing with that. after 60 years I still marvel how a thermocouple works. I used to sell commercial cooking stuff I knew a woman whose restaurant burned down due to a deep fryer locking up or so she said.

fire marshall never figured it out I doubt if he knew much if he was on the level of building inspectors!

gas stuff can be complicated but I can understand most of it but that 3 phase with the wild leg throws me.

I bet everyday is a fun day for the most part

bob
Old 02-21-2018, 08:14 AM   #56

Missouri
elven do some searching or p/m me you can find this with correct piping sizes or when you do your search call one of the distributors they will advise you.

I just fixed a nice Vermont castings gas heating stove doing this. guy was going to dump the stove 2k stove by the way!

bob
Old 02-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #57

Missouri
steve I just reread your post I hated those old high pressure steam cookers the Groens and so forth you would see them in hospitals. maintance was always cleaning all the stuff out of them then low pressure came out so much better and safer!

bob
Old 02-21-2018, 08:32 AM   #58

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
steve well I bet that was a long day dealing with that. after 60 years I still marvel how a thermocouple works. I used to sell commercial cooking stuff I knew a woman whose restaurant burned down due to a deep fryer locking up or so she said.

fire marshall never figured it out I doubt if he knew much if he was on the level of building inspectors!

gas stuff can be complicated but I can understand most of it but that 3 phase with the wild leg throws me.

I bet everyday is a fun day for the most part

bob
If we should ever meet and you have 15 seconds to spare I will explain how you get a high leg with a Delta transformer.
If I can understand it , I am sure you can , it's not that complicated

I understand your point . Coming from Minnesota I was used to real building, electrical, plumbing ,heating , fire inspectors.
When I moved to Wisconsin I soon discovered the difference , we have one inspector that covers all the trades , and he knows little or nothing about building or the trades cause his full time job is milking cows . When houses burn down the cause is always faulty wood stove even if the house does not have one .
Old 02-21-2018, 08:47 AM   #59

Missouri
steve I stupidly bought a downtown building thinking I could make a little money what an inspiration that was. Touch anything and here they would come insisting your 100 year old building was going to be brought up to modern code. a 50k 100 old building could have easily ran 200k! you know sprinklers, new wiring, plumbing all the codes for the disabled. even if I did all that I was still stuck with cheap renters or no renters or dead-beat renters.

I butted heads with those clowns so many times it made me sick! I kept telling them no way was that going to happen finally I threatened to desert it and leave them with it!

finally since it had a restaurant in it I sold it to a young couple for almost nothing they had no clue to running a restaurant but they tried today it sets empty and I am so glad I am out of it. No doubt at some point the city will have to take it over or tear it down big money it was an ex wards store 3 stories!

I lost money for 15 years on that thing oh if I just had my losses back!

bob
Old 02-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #60

Missouri
that s good one cow-milers I will have to remember that one!!!

bob