Help with repair options - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2022, 10:58 AM   #1

Name: Al
Trailer: Currently shopping
Texas
Help with repair options

Hello all, a buddy of mine just got side swiped near Atlanta and it sounds like it took out his Refrigerator compartment area, He doesn't think it got into the axle but just doesn't know. There are some scrapes and stuff in that area as well. He lives near Tampa, Looking for some advice on best repair locations near Tampa, Is this something Casita does or a local RV shop, Sounds like the fridge is out of commission and the wiring and gas lines along with Fiberglass repair. Whats your advice. He's still on the side of the road evaluating, he thinks it's at least drive-able and maybe he can limp it back home, lets hear your thoughts.
indysafe317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 05:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
the fiberglass is a pretty important structural part, so if it's a smaller hole, not so bad, if it's the whole side of the trailer, probably not towable, scamp may be able to do the repairs, or a boat place, most rv places don't deal well with our types of trailers, pictures are always good
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:20 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Definitely not an RV shop.

If there is damage to the body and/or fiberglass cabinets:

- Take it to a boat repair shop that does expert molded fiberglass repairs.
- Strongly advised to read shop reviews and see some of their previous work, photos, etc.
- Well done molded fiberglass repairs require lots of experience and will be very expensive.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:13 AM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Actually the frame provides the strength and is stiffened a little by the shell. The interior fiberglass does some stiffening, but to a large extent the shell is just along for the ride.

If the frame and axle are OK then it would be most probably OK to tow. I would cover the open areas and perhaps tape it with gaffer tape to hold the pieces together.

If it is an insurance repair job that is one thing and perhaps Casita can fix it, but that could easily be more than the insurance company would pay (assuming your insurance company).

If the person causing the accident can be found and is known and ID as the cause then their insurance should make you whole with either a check to replace or pay for a proper repair.

A shop that repairs boats or Corvettes might be able to do the job, but either way it would be expensive.

Almost always the cost ends up with a DIY repair or totaled and someone else does the DIY I would guess.

Today an hour of someone's time is pretty high and there would be a lot of work for extensive damage repair and painting or gel coat.
Pictures would be necessary to determine to any real extent.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 09:38 AM   #5

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Definitely not an RV shop.

If there is damage to the body and/or fiberglass cabinets:

- Take it to a boat repair shop that does expert molded fiberglass repairs.
- Strongly advised to read shop reviews and see some of their previous work, photos, etc.
- Well done molded fiberglass repairs require lots of experience and will be very expensive.
I so agree on "not an RV shop"! My mobile rv mechanic was moving my Scamp 19 and instead of hooking up to it, he moved it with his tractor's bucket. The Scamp 19's hitch slipped off the bucket and ripped about 7" of fiberglass under the bedroom loft. He said he would pay for the repair, which he did. Anyway I contacted a local reputable RV dealership who did body work. They gave me a estimate of $4700. I found a autobody shop that also specialized in fiberglass boat repairs. He gave me a estimate of $1000. My final bill out the door at his shop was $700. He has been in business about 30 years and picks and chooses the jobs he takes. He did a great job and even matched the color of the gelcoat. I couldn't be happier and I know my mobile RV mechanic was super happy I looked out for him!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote