Horse Power from Horses?????? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2009, 11:04 PM   #1

Trailer: *Percheron
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Manley
Hello I知 planning to do some traveling and am open to all advice especially from fulltimers.

You see I知 planning a long range trip using my horses as my only mode of power. My daughter Meg is soon to be off to college. I知 divorced and feeling wanderlust BIGTIME. Now I assure you this is not a joke, as some have thought.

I have built several wagons old school and some new auto type. My horses are Percheron heavy draft that I also saddle, so I am not worried about temperament or pulling ability. My usual wagon is an old bomb carrying trailer [airforce] weighs in at 1700 lbs and I usually only pull with one horse with who ever wants to ride [usually 1100 to 1400 lbs more] and Cody can handle 3-4 hrs of steady motion. His little brother is doing very well also and they are learning to team well. Here is a list of things I would like to hear talked about:

1. What trailer?? Fiberstream?? Compact?? Scamp??

2. Will I be welcomed by all you egg folk??

3. Campgrounds? A fellow in Colorado got over his stun and said sure bring it on he would like to see that.

4. Can I stretch the frame in front to add room for hay and attach a front axle on any of these things?

5. I知 not too worried about money BUUUTTTT can you think of anybody that might sponsor to some degree? I am fairly sure to get some attention on my journey and a paint logo doesn稚 weigh much.

6. Anybody else want to go for a slow ride?? Do you have a wagon?? I might take one rider but you would have to learn fast. Work hard and pretty much be content to go where I am pointed I don稚 have a time limit or direction. I can be patient I知 training two teenage boys to train four mares [insert gales of laughter here] but be honest if BIG horses scare you please stay home.

7. Tell me all I have forgotten and am just plain stupid about.
Jim Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:10 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
As far as #2 is I beleive you would be welcome with what ever Moulded Fiberglass Trailer you get. How you pull it is your concern. It would be great to see.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

When I was a sprout and marched in a drum & bugle corps, we always hated to be placed behind horses in a parade. One could slip and fall. As long as that problem is taken care of, bring 'er on!!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:57 PM   #4

Quote:
When I was a sprout and marched in a drum & bugle corps, we always hated to be placed behind horses in a parade. One could slip and fall. As long as that problem is taken care of, bring 'er on!!
hahaha well said we have way to many cowboys in my town who dont carry plastic bags.
In fact 3 of the police have even learned to tell my horse poop apart from a quarter horse

SIZE MATTERS
Old 11-18-2009, 12:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 14 ft Widebody Burro / 1998 Land Rover Discovery
1. What trailer?? Fiberstream?? Compact?? Scamp??

anything will work... do the math- what can your horses pull? Keep in mind uphill loads.

2. Will I be welcomed by all you egg folk??

Don't ask that question, just belly on up....

3. Campgrounds? A fellow in Colorado got over his stun and said sure bring it on he would like to see that.

For heaven's sake, you can boondock along the way. Who needs to pony up $20 bucks a night to park next to big RV'S? Also, You'll need some maps to help you stay off the interstates. Also, some maps will tell you where there's room on the road, and where there isn't. You don't want cars going 100 miles an hour shaving your ears off. I suggest anything for cyclists would be good enough for a horse drawn rig.

4. Can I stretch the frame in front to add room for hay and attach a front axle on any of these things?

With a welding torch you can do prit'neer whatever you need to do. Yes, a front axle as long as the tongue turns the wheels

5. I知 not too worried about money BUUUTTTT can you think of anybody that might sponsor to some degree? I am fairly sure to get some attention on my journey and a paint logo doesn稚 weigh much.

Start a blog or website, something with a catchy phrase... and have a place for a person to donate. Then, put your website on the back of your rig for a little advertisement. You never know, you might get rich!

6. Anybody else want to go for a slow ride?? Do you have a wagon?? I might take one rider but you would have to learn fast. Work hard and pretty much be content to go where I am pointed I don稚 have a time limit or direction. I can be patient I知 training two teenage boys to train four mares [insert gales of laughter here] but be honest if BIG horses scare you please stay home.

Again, place that on your website or blog, and you're likely to have more company than you bargained for!

7. Tell me all I have forgotten and am just plain stupid about.

You haven't forgotten a thing. I say, get started, you can always modify things along the way!
Mac B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:58 AM   #6

Well shucks you all are just regular folk ain't you. A blog huh. That's a good idea thank you! These are all good news to me. I figured I'd get shot down hard, an then do it any way.

KEEP THE GOOD IDEAS COMING PPL
Old 11-18-2009, 02:05 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

You could follow the Lewis & Clark Trail out. Of course they used boats much of the time. Hmm. But you would proceed at about their pace.

Then you can arrive at Dismal Nitch:
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_2960__Medium_.JPG  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:40 AM   #8

Quote:
You could follow the Lewis & Clark Trail out. Of course they used boats much of the time. Hmm. But you would proceed at about their pace.

Then you can arrive at Dismal Nitch:
ummm I'm not sure if I want to arrive there. But that would be a nice long trip. Any recommendations on brands? I sure like the look of Fiberstream but all I see are in California that's a long way to go for an unknown quantity.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul
This reminds me of the goat man who I saw on a couple of occasions back in the 50s.

He had an old wagon pulled by goats and he roamed the highways of the entire US with that rig.
Judith Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:05 AM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Jim
Stupid? Who am I to say?
Crazy? FOR SURE! Like all the horse folk I know,that is what I like about the idea.
I am close to the most famous draft horses here,I think they drink the product myself as the Clydesdales are pretty high-strung.

Where are you here in the Show-Me state?
I am in STL,I have a Fiberstream I will be selling and who knows?
At the very least you are welcome to check it out.

Also I would think it will be a no-brainer to network with other horse people along the way and camp for free at their barns as you go.
I can't think of anyone I know who wouldn't want to be part of the adventure.
The bigger barns may also make decent sponsors?

Let me know.
Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #11

Trailer: 1977 Boler (Orange Sunrise 'Clementine')
Registry
I marched in plenty of parades and know exactly what you are talking about! I had many friends in drum corps. Which one were you in?

Quote:
Amy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:23 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1984
My wifes brother in law raised and showed Belgians. At the larger Horse Shows he was classed with the professional brewery teams and usually came home with some top honours. Your Perch's won't have any trouble with just about any FG trailer. You may have to add a steel stone guard to protect the front though.
Check ahead as to wether or not the campgrounds will accept animals. A lot won't let you in with pets so a team of horses may be denied also.
What about feed and water. Are you going to haul it along or depend on foraging? Those four-footed engines have a powerful apetite when working.
You could give us a new topic of conversation ..."How many miles to the bale?"
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:17 AM   #13

Quote:
This reminds me of the goat man who I saw on a couple of occasions back in the 50s.

He had an old wagon pulled by goats and he roamed the highways of the entire US with that rig.
ahhh yes my grandfather [phx ariz]told me about the goatman.i have owned several goats.found them to be intellegent playfull but rarely forgiving animals.not like a horse or dog not at all.very good friends with a warped humor.NEVER HIT A GOAT WITH MORE THAN A FEW OUNCES OF FORCE.they think its a game.and once hit will wait for years.sometimes with humor sometimes with the most deadly intent.and a billy can crush a grown man.that said they are very gentle creatures until taught evil like a deer really thank you for sharing this memory. goatman may you walk in the arms of the shepard
Old 11-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #14

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Have you considered a double draw single tongue yoke for your horses.

I calculate the sholder weight on each horse to be less than 150 pounds, based on an 8 foot single bar extension to a 17' Casita with a hitch weight of less than 500 pounds.

I am certain the two Percherons can pull the 3,000 pound tow weight without to much difficulty.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Jim
Stupid? Who am I to say?
Crazy? FOR SURE! Like all the horse folk I know,that is what I like about the idea.
I am close to the most famous draft horses here,I think they drink the product myself as the Clydesdales are pretty high-strung.

Where are you here in the Show-Me state?
I am in STL,I have a Fiberstream I will be selling and who knows?
At the very least you are welcome to check it out.

Also I would think it will be a no-brainer to network with other horse people along the way and camp for free at their barns as you go.
I can't think of anyone I know who wouldn't want to be part of the adventure.
The bigger barns may also make decent sponsors?

Let me know.
Ed

WHOOO HOOO HIP HIP HOOORAY. no offence to all the nice ppl i have met here but ed you are my favorite person i have spent hours trying to find you[and my way back to this web site] i went somwhere on here and it said i could add you as my friend so i did.i have read everything i could find and like something about most all the trailers here but the fiberstream just holds my eyes.ed i hope not to be a pest but where do i send questions to you.saw pics of your red trim jacked up model noticed all the new wires paint bolts wow.have you dedicated your life to preserving fiberstream or what..... you sir have a passion......now have i given you enough of a deservedly swollen head that you would consider sending me a few thousand pics of every stream you have ever seen.is there any place you ever wrote down every thought you had about fiberstreams.good bad or totaly random.do you have a blog? well shoot ed i have to go there are other ppl who sent me letters here and i have 2 boys coming soon they need to learn to build a rock sled.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #16

Quote:
My wifes brother in law raised and showed Belgians. At the larger Horse Shows he was classed with the professional brewery teams and usually came home with some top honours. Your Perch's won't have any trouble with just about any FG trailer. You may have to add a steel stone guard to protect the front though.
Check ahead as to wether or not the campgrounds will accept animals. A lot won't let you in with pets so a team of horses may be denied also.
What about feed and water. Are you going to haul it along or depend on foraging? Those four-footed engines have a powerful apetite when working.
You could give us a new topic of conversation ..."How many miles to the bale?"
oh no i calculate that they eat less than 3 country miles for evey mile of pull.hahaha lol
truly i will carry square bales but will forage heavely and probly pull with one while one grazes at least part of each day the grazer will just have to get his bites on the move which dosent seem to slow them down at all.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #17

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
I wonder if it would be easier or better to mount the fiberglass RV on a hay wagon rather than adding a steering front axel to the RV?
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Have you considered a double draw single tongue yoke for your horses.

I calculate the sholder weight on each horse to be less than 150 pounds, based on an 8 foot single bar extension to a 17' Casita with a hitch weight of less than 500 pounds.

I am certain the two Percherons can pull the 3,000 pound tow weight without to much difficulty.
now see thats why i come here
my current wagon is an old airforce bomb wagon[poetic aint it from bombs to picnic and parade duty]
i can hitch tandem, 1 in front of the other single, [my favorite] or double hitch.
or pull 1 bolt and slide in a 2 in ball coupler
shoulder weight will be very low as i will have wheels in front google up pioneer forecart.
my daughter and i both love the casita [meg especially] but they may have a problem i cant over come that large beautiful bathroom in front. i plan on being able to drive from inside the trailer at least part time.
the last thing i want is to be sick or hurt in 33 degree rain in front of a trailer tire.although my horse would prob just stop and look at me if i did fall off.he has done this many times under saddle.
and once pulled a skid stop on pavement to keep from running over 3 kids who looked both ways before stepping in front of a wagon and freight weighing in at at least 5000 lbs GOOD PUPPY BAD HUMAN!!!!!
good ideas all keep em coming guys
Old 11-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #19

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
WHOOO HOOO HIP HIP HOOORAY. no offence to all the nice ppl i have met here but ed you are my favorite person i have spent hours trying to find you[and my way back to this web site] i went somwhere on here and it said i could add you as my friend so i did.i have read everything i could find and like something about most all the trailers here but the fiberstream just holds my eyes.ed i hope not to be a pest but where do i send questions to you.saw pics of your red trim jacked up model noticed all the new wires paint bolts wow.have you dedicated your life to preserving fiberstream or what..... you sir have a passion......now have i given you enough of a deservedly swollen head that you would consider sending me a few thousand pics of every stream you have ever seen.is there any place you ever wrote down every thought you had about fiberstreams.good bad or totaly random.do you have a blog? well shoot ed i have to go there are other ppl who sent me letters here and i have 2 boys coming soon they need to learn to build a rock sled.

Calm down there Jim!

I think you have me confused with Fred maybe? He has the jacked up Fiberstream with the red stripe but he is in California not Missouri.

I am in St.Louis and my Fiberstream is a little newer than his and not as well tended to.

They are different than all other rigs here for sure and feel roomier inside and have tandem axles with leaf springs and not the single torsion axle that is common here.

Like I said you are welcome to give it a look.

I will PM you and we can go from there.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:29 AM   #20

Quote:
I wonder if it would be easier or better to mount the fiberglass RV on a hay wagon rather than adding a steering front axel to the RV?
this an idea that i have considered and i think im not after i did my homework on this heres why.
1 fair condition used 700.00
2 no brakes
3 HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY
4 lots of underneath room which im not sure i need. if i take my chickens i will only take a few 10-15
[thats 3 eggs on the worst day possible]
although 10 chickens 2 milk goats 2 pyrenees and 2 percherons would give me a true gypsy air.that i would love and it would certainly decrease my need for walmart.
but then i would have to paint everything bright RED, LIME GREEN, and dont forget YELLOW.
i dont think im quite ready for that
but i do have to admit a perverse part of me would laugh every mile
thank you for the post
and google up [pioneer forecart] they make life easy IF you are rich