Hose regulator for 13' Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #1

Name: Lauren
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13'
Washington
Hose regulator for 13' Scamp?

Hi everyone,

We are camping in gorgeous Wallowa County, Oregon, this week. So far we're the only Scamp around and therefore the object of much curiosity!

Here's my question: our Scamp (1977) has a water storage tank and also a "city water" connection on the outside. Presumably I could hook up to city water and use the hand pump faucet inside, but I vaguely recall trying that when we first bought the Scamp and having a major pressure issue--water spraying everywhere.

I found a hose regulator for sale here (cheap) and wondered whether that will solve the problem. The label says it reduced pressure to 45 max. I'd love to be able to hook up directly to water instead of using the storage tank.

Any thoughts? Thanks, and if you're FGRVing near here let me know!

Lauren
dannerscampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannerscampers View Post
Hi everyone,

We are camping in gorgeous Wallowa County, Oregon, this week. So far we're the only Scamp around and therefore the object of much curiosity!

Here's my question: our Scamp (1977) has a water storage tank and also a "city water" connection on the outside. Presumably I could hook up to city water and use the hand pump faucet inside, but I vaguely recall trying that when we first bought the Scamp and having a major pressure issue--water spraying everywhere.

I found a hose regulator for sale here (cheap) and wondered whether that will solve the problem. The label says it reduced pressure to 45 max. I'd love to be able to hook up directly to water instead of using the storage tank.

Any thoughts? Thanks, and if you're FGRVing near here let me know!

Lauren
Something is wrong here... the Hand pump is only designed to be hooked to the onboard freshwater tank.
The shorewater connection should be hooked to a separate conventional faucet. On most fiberglass trailers, the inlet has a check valve but no pressure regulator. If you buy a regulator buy the brass one, it is much better than the ubiquitous blue plastic one.
Trailers which use the same faucet for shorewater and onboard water use a pump and different plumbing.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #3

Washington
Great, thanks, that is very helpful. So it sounds as though I need to install a new faucet if I want to hook up to city water. When I look at the tubing below my current hand pump faucet, there is a tube connecting it to the water storage tank and there is a separate tube for the city water connection. It sounds like I need a faucet for the city water to work, and possibly a pump as well? Probably not something I can do during this trip!
Old 08-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannerscampers View Post
Great, thanks, that is very helpful. So it sounds as though I need to install a new faucet if I want to hook up to city water. When I look at the tubing below my current hand pump faucet, there is a tube connecting it to the water storage tank and there is a separate tube for the city water connection. It sounds like I need a faucet for the city water to work, and possibly a pump as well? Probably not something I can do during this trip!
No electric pump is necessary to run water from your freshwater tank to the sink through the hand pump. They do make a small pump which could be added to replace the hand pump (about $35)
The shorewater really needs only to be a single faucet ($12 bar faucet is good) hooked-up to the shore water connection. Always open the faucet a little before turning on the shore water to bleed the air out of the line.
If you install a freshwater pump from the onboard tank,then this whole thing can be done with only one faucet, using a small check valve and a "Y" connector.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
There are however faucets that do both. The hand pump works for the tank, and you push down hard, on the same handle, for the city water valve. They are a bit spendy though.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #6

Washington
Thanks for the tip. After living with the current setup for five years, we've decided that a regulator-and-faucet deal would be right for us. No more hand pump. So now I think I've just got to figure out which faucet (we have no hot water heater; cold only, and I'd love to get a higher-arc faucet) and get it all connected. Sounds like it will be a pretty inexpensive mod, too.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
A 12 volt water pump for one side of the Y and the city water with check valve for the other side to feed a single faucet is pretty inexpensive mod. I had a 3 way valve with hose barbs instead of a Y and manually switched which source fed the water system.

Don't forget to include RV anti-freeze or pump removal to your winter storage routine. Water trapped in 12 volt pump will freeze and break it if you have freezing temps in winter.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp