how curtain is attached to fiberglass egg doors? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
I'm snazzing up our little 13' Scamp with new curtains and have realized the velcro method of putting a curtain on the door will no longer work. I am looking for something a little nicer looking. Any suggestions? I'd rather not put a hole in the door front.
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
The door should have some 'thickness' from an inner layer. From what I see of Scamp photos, it appears to. I would think that you could drill a small hole through that inside layer and use small plastic anchors to attach the mounting bracket for the curtain rod? If so, you would not be putting a hole through the outside of the door.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #3

Registry
I was wondering that myself. Sure wish I knew what was between the inside and the outside.
Anybody know?
I worry about the rod pulling and not being secure after a while. I might see if I can use some of those fasteners that have a device that opens up like a diamond shape, then snugs right to back surface. That might work. I'll look around at the hardware store next time. Thanks. I'm feeling more encouraged.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Bill, it's wood I'd say about 3/8" fiberglassed in the door. You should see the door is thicker in the middle, from above the window down near the bottom.

The rods are simple cafe' curtain rods. You can purchase them at WalMart. The package contains the rods, brackets and screws. The screws maybe longer than needed just go purchase some shorter ones at you local hardware store. Oh, and you can find them with nice caps on the end of the rods not just the simply flat end ones.

Here's some pictures:

Click image for larger version

Name:	109_7857.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	29397
[attachment=34590:
109_7859.JPG]

Top bracket is faced up and lower bracket is faced down. The length of the curtain holds the tension of the rods. My tie backs are fastened to the frame the window simply with a screw running through them and into the frame. Then the tie back ends snap together. It's a rubber frame on my window and I just used the shortest screw I could find. The tie backs have been there for 10 years. No problems.

Attached Thumbnails
109_7858.JPG   109_7859.JPG  

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Quote:
Bill, it's wood I'd say about 3/8" fiberglassed in the door. You should see the door is thicker in the middle, from above the window down near the bottom.

The rods are simple cafe' curtain rods. You can purchase them at WalMart. The package contains the rods, brackets and screws. The screws maybe longer than needed just go purchase some shorter ones at you local hardware store. Oh, and you can find them with nice caps on the end of the rods not just the simply flat end ones.

Here's some pictures:

Attachment 29397
[attachment=34590:
109_7859.JPG]

Top bracket is faced up and lower bracket is faced down. The length of the curtain holds the tension of the rods. My tie backs are fastened to the frame the window simply with a screw running through them and into the frame. Then the tie back ends snap together. It's a rubber frame on my window and I just used the shortest screw I could find. The tie backs have been there for 10 years. No problems.
We use a similar system for our curtains, but only with top curtain rods. The bottoms of the curtains swing free, which my wife likes. I attached the curtain rod to the little end bracket pieces with twist ties, tucked away. It prevents the rod from leaving the end piece while travelling (or even opening the curtain), and is out of sight.

Rick G.
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #6

Registry
Thanks for the pictures and the detailed descriptions! I'll show to the hubster as we are having a 'discussion' over attachments and what's inside the door.
thanks!
Old 07-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #7

Registry
Wink

well, the hubster and I bought short brass curtain rod holders and he used a short pop-rivet gun to attach. First, drilled short hole and yes, sawdust came out so that was reassuring. The rivets went in good and flush and don't look odd. The curtain sits perfect on the rod. I will use the little twist ties I think to keep it on while traveling. Thanks all for instructions, encouragements and the pictures! Couldn't have gotten up the nerve without you all! BTW, the new curtains will be up for the River Valley RV rally in September if you want to see how they look. I'll try to add pictures to our album and a link when I get pictures! Thanks all, Again!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #8

Registry
ok, have a nice picture of the curtain. Thanks y'all!

Name:	newcurtain_door.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	29637

notice I had to add just a few beads to bling it up a smidge! ha!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Cute!! I like that it's not the typical "hang-down" shape. Bling, now that's the ticket
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #10

Registry
Actually, It can be untied and hangs flat for the night. This fan shape is pulled up to let in light. Here's some more pictures. I'm very pleased with the outcome, but Man! the math! nearly killed me! ha!
closeup of curtain and bling!

Name:	doorcurtanbling.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	29704

Side curtain

Name:	newcurtain.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	29705