How Do I Disconnect the LP Detector? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft and Casita 13 ft
How Do I Disconnect the LP Detector?

I know it sounds crazy but after two years of this, I'm ready to disconnect the LP detector. It is driving me nuts. Anytime I spray the yard for bugs, spray the yard for weeds or have any chemical near the trailer, the LP detector goes off. Yes, I have a cover on my trailer and when I have the cover off it doesn't do it. But I need the cover and since I never ever use propane anyway, I just want it disconnected. Anybody ever do this? If so, please tell me how to disconnect it. I only use electricity with my trailer.

P.S. I do have a carbon monixide detector inside as well as a smoke detector so I feel safe.

Thanks for your help.
Patty
Patty C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
there should be an in line fuse that you can pull, start searching behind the unit
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
The danger would be after you take the cover off, and go camping. LP lays low (heavier than air), CO and smoke go high....
Having detectors for CO and smoke will do nothing to protect you from the dangers of a propane leak.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
How old is that Casita? The LP detectors don't work forever. Some recommend 5 year replacement. They aren't cheap, but could protect you or your trailer.
Regards,

Matt
Matt in SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita
Our LP detector was giving false alarms. I was about to replace it, but I found an owners manual online. Believe it or not, it recommends vacuuming the sensor WEEKLY! In my case, vacuuming it once every two years or so seems about right. No problems since then.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
If Patty only uses electricity which I'd think would mean she doesnt even have propane tanks on the trailer wouldnt it be ok to disconnect the propane detector? Now if she still has filled tanks onboard then I can see the reason for her keeping her LP Detector working.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Makes sense if it's legal in your state(s) of interest. Tampering with the smoke detector in the lavatory is a $5,000 fine though.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita
Melissa, I think the unit also claims to detect methane. Other than cows (and dogs), I don't know where methane comes from and whether it poses a problem in a trailer. But if Patty was lucky and could fix it by vacuuming, that's the easy way out.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #9

My Casita is a 2009 model. Thanks for the tip about vacuuming - it's just the most sensitive thing I've ever seen. Yes, I still have the propane tanks onboard the front of the trailer but they have never been turned on except on the day I picked it up from the factory 2 years ago when they demo'd everything for me.

I think I'll just remove the two propane tanks but I still need to know how to deactivate the detector itself. Propane has nothing to do with why it goes off ALL the time. Any ideas? I guess I'll unscrew the detector and see what happens. I'm pretty sure it works off the battery too when the trailer isn't plugged in. Holy cow, I hope I don't have to remove the battery too, but if I do... oh well. When I say I use electricity only... I mean it.

I guess I'm trying to turn my Casita into an Eggcamper (isn't that the all electric camper?).

Thanks for the responses.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:13 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I will repeat what cpaharley2008 said, REMOVE THE FUSE for the propane detector.

That way all you have to do if you want it to work later is put the fuse back in.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:35 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
I will repeat what cpaharley2008 said, REMOVE THE FUSE for the propane detector.

That way all you have to do if you want it to work later is put the fuse back in.

Bill K
That's a good idea Bill... but where EXACTLY would she find the fuse?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:39 AM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
That's a good idea Bill... but where EXACTLY would she find the fuse?
If she removes the propane alarm faceplate she should be able to pull out the alarm and look behind on the black power line for the inline fuse. Iy is normally quite close to the unit.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:55 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Also it could be in the 12v fuse panel.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If she removes the propane alarm faceplate she should be able to pull out the alarm and look behind on the black power line for the inline fuse. Iy is normally quite close to the unit.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
Melissa, I think the unit also claims to detect methane. Other than cows (and dogs), I don't know where methane comes from and whether it poses a problem in a trailer. But if Patty was lucky and could fix it by vacuuming, that's the easy way out.
Our dog seems to be comfortable sleeping under the table / rear bed at night. The only problem we have encountered is that if the dog passes gas the LP gas detector goes off. It is located near the floor under the table. This has only happened a few times, but it is startling when it happens in the middle of the night. We do not plan to disconnect the LP gas detector.

Brian
Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #15

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
the simplest way to do it is to disconnect the house battery. If you are not using the rig for long periods of time, you should do this anyway.

You can either just disconnect the - side, or get fancy and buy a disconnect switch at any auto parts store.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #16

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty C. View Post
Anytime I spray the yard for bugs, spray the yard for weeds or have any chemical near the trailer, the LP detector goes off.
Patty
The detector may be telling you that all those chemicals that you are spraying in the yard are not good for you. Getting rid of the chemicals seems like a better solution than getting rid of the detector.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #17

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
How on earth are the fumes getting inside the camper. This is a major concern because carbon monoxide could infiltrate the camper should you be camped close to someone using a generator, lawn mower, letting their vehicle warm up and so on.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #18

The only thing I can think of is that the cover is providing an "oven" of sorts for the fumes to get trapped under. Also my camper is not sitting on a driveway in the backyard. The tires are on 18" x 18" flat concrete blocks that you buy at Home Depot so the grass is very close and the chemical fumes are getting in that way.

Anyway, thanks all, I have my solution now - just gonna take off the propane tanks and take the fuse out of the LP detector. This is a solution that can easily be put back right in case I ever decide to use propane or if I ever want to sell my trailer!

You guys rock!
Patty
Old 02-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you take the propane off the tongue, remember to add weight in the front area when packing. The tongue needs to be 10-15% of the total trailer weight. If the tongue is too light, you may have sway problems.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #20

Good tip, Donna! Thanks. Gotta figure out what I can put there that won't fall off with my driving! LOL. A tool box would be ideal but I don't want to mess up the space where the tanks would go should I ever want them to be put back. Humm... maybe an ice chest strapped down. Gotta think on this. Thanks a million!

Patty