How do I get rid of the black and yellow stains in the fiberglass? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #1

Name: Julie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
How do I get rid of the black and yellow stains in the fiberglass?

Hello! I am hoping the community can help. Last weekend we took our third son to Georgia to start the Appalachian Trail. (His two brothers did a thru-hike last year) We drove our new-to-us 2008 Scamp to Amicalola Falls. When we returned home Sunday night, the front of the camper was splattered with what looked like mud. I didn't get a chance to wash the camper till the following Saturday. The mud seemed to come off quite easily with soap and water. But then I noticed some black splatters. They were tougher to remove. Grease? Tar? Once removed, a grey tell-tale shadow remained. I also noticed some yellow spots. When I cleaned those off, they left a yellow shadow in the white fiberglass. Pollen maybe? Sap?

How do I get rid of these stains in the fiberglass? Can I use the tar remover that I use on my car on fiberglass? is there something else I should use?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

Julie
Julie and Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #2

Name: Kenji
Arizona
Registry
To remove any type of adhesive or oil, be it glue, tar, sap, grease or any other sticky nasty thing, I use orange oil. Now you have to be really careful about what types of plastic you let a citrus oil come in contact with. It will melt some of them. I have used it on my Scamp 16 with no ill effects.

Robot Check

Here's what it looks like. I use Pure Citrus brand as it is literally only orange oil. You could mist it over a cake if you wanted with no harm. The oil is stored in a pouch inside of the can, so there isn't even propellant in it.

It's the least expensive at Home Depot at only about $2.99 a can. It is amazing as an air freshener as well, so it's really multi use. Oh, and to add another amazing use; It KILLS bugs DEAD. Like nearly instantly. It's like a super fly swatter that can take them out mid flight. But again, be careful where you spray it when near plastics and paint.

For mechanically removing things from the trailer I love to use Magic Erasers. I buy the off brand ones from Dollar Tree. Much cheaper than the Mr. Clean brand.
If you've never tried one you should. Some care must be taken though, as it is essentially an extremely fine abrasive. So fine it will polish most things, but may frost some clear plastics. I've yet to have that happen, but just beware.

To keep such nasty stickies off of your trailer in the future you could clean it well then coat it with floor polish. Works great, looks great, and things rinse right off without leaving stains.

Hope this helps!
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Clorox and water. Check at the Warehouse clubs as one of them is selling an outside, thicker version of the product. Mix it with water per the directions and spray it on and wait 20 minutes, wash it off, do it again and wait 20 minutes and if all marks are gone then use a Wash and Wax like Turtle wax and wash the whole camper and rice it off. This is what I do every year, have been doing it for years and always have a shinny camper. I never use a hand applied wax.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:53 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have used Oxi Clean to remove tough stain. Mix it with a little water to make a paste . I have also used bleach and water 50/50 in a Hudson sprayer to take stains of the roof of my Scamp.
Baking soda will sometimes remove stains from fiberglass and it doesn't ruin clothes or kill plants. I give my trailer 2 coats of Nu Finish in the Spring and find that most things don't stick or stain.
I am retired so for me waxing my trailer is a nice afternoon's diversion on a Spring day.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:13 AM   #5

Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
I've owned a Scamp for about 3 years now but I've owned a a sailboat for 22years. The best product I have found is FSR or Fiberglass Stain Remover. It may take a number of applications but it most always removes the stain. You can order it online or pick it up at a marine store like West Marine.
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:26 AM   #6

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Those magic erasers really do wonders. While looking for some threads about cleaning black streaks off RV's I came across a YouTube video of a guy using a cleaner called Awsome. It's available at any of the Dollar type stores for about a dollar. I went to the Dollar General and found it with the cleaners and bought a bottle, came home and tried it with the magic erasers and was really impressed. Check out some of the online reviews and if you decide to give it a try it will only set you back about a dollar. Theres even a chart on the bottle to tell you how strong to mix it with water for various things that you are cleaning.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:45 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Sold 2017 Casita SD
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmint View Post
I've owned a Scamp for about 3 years now but I've owned a a sailboat for 22years. The best product I have found is FSR or Fiberglass Stain Remover. It may take a number of applications but it most always removes the stain. You can order it online or pick it up at a marine store like West Marine.
Look for a marine cleaner with oxalic acid, works magic in taking out stains. Rinse thoroughly after using with soap and water.
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:08 AM   #8

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Still Looking
Alabama
FSR and Whink, they are your friends!
Bullington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:56 AM   #9

Name: Julie
Florida
Thank you everyone for your help! Going to give it a try today.
Julie
Julie and Jose is offline   Reply With Quote