How heavy IS a trillium 4500?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2003, 12:54 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Other ideas...

All good ideas, Paul, thanks.

I am also considering jettisoning the furnace. Seems like it will be heavier than the little Black Cat I have. Can't imagine needing much more heat than that in this little thing. A second Cat would still be light weight and allow for more heat if I decided I was freezing in there. Already have a small electric cube heater. That would also open up some storage space. I don't need to carry both during the hottest months.

Hot water heater seems like a heavy luxury as well. If I rip out the water sytem, there will be no point in having a hot water heater. I'm pretty adept at the stove-top hot water heating anyway. No water system would mean easier winterizing. I'm looking at a lot of time in the Rockies and into Alaska. Hmm... :conf

Just paid a fair amount of money for a loaded trailer in good condition, now I'm gonna be strippin'er down. Ah well, the point is to have as much freedom as possible, right?

Anyone gonna want some Trillium parts?:lol

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 01:02 PM   #22

Hi JR
Seriously think before getting rid of that furnace. If it is the kind that doesn't require the fan they are wonderful for boondocking. We took ours out thinking we'ed never use it and have regretted that decision ever since.

These trailers have alot more storage than one would first think. There are 4 of use and we often have half empty bins.
Nancy

Old 06-09-2003, 01:14 PM   #23

Clearly you have never camped with me...

I tend to be an overpacker. Oh sure, I may only have two pairs of pants and three pairs of socks for a week (I'd rather wash stuff out than carry suitcases jammed full) but I tend to have tons of "must-haves." For the westward trip I am bringing:

*4 birds, plus cages and food
*dog, plus food, her bed (spoiled? nah!) and accessories
*fully stocked kitchen (leaving the pasta maker at home!)
*two boxes of books
*laptop, inkjet, cell phone and related "office" paraphenalia
*craft/art supplies (beading, cross stitch, crochet, watercolors and easel)
*clothes
*toiletries
*two camp chairs
*camping stuff like axe, tools, etc.
*tiny washer and clothes rack dryer

And various other stuff no thinking person would take camping...

Doesn't help that on this portion of the trip I am moving at the same time I am camping. I'll lighten the load some by shipping stuff to Utah and then lighten more once I get there by leaving the birds with my mom for a while.

I do plan some shake out trips before I leave for good. That will give me a chance to lighten the load a bit.

I will rethink that furnace though. Better to wait and see if I use it first.

Old 06-09-2003, 01:26 PM   #24

Years ago with the old Starcraft pop up, we took so much stuff I don't know how the poor van ever managed to drag it down the road. We even took our own firewood. We had something for every remote possibility and clothes enough that we wouldn't have to wash clothes for a month. All this for a weekend trip.

Over the years we have gotten rid of things that never got used. Now we don't even take anything electrical unless we know we have an electrical site. All the electrical stuff is in a bin to throw in when needed.

Yup, we were going to take that top bunk off too but last year changed things. Our bunny in his cage spent his time up there. Makes a great storage shelf also.
Nancy

Tags
trillium