How should I clean wall and ceiling carpet? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2017, 04:15 PM   #1

Name: Ia
Trailer: Casita
Minnesota
How should I clean wall and ceiling carpet?

I am just getting to cleaning-before-everything-is-completely-finished stage in my new to me Casita and I can't decide how to deep clean my wall and ceiling carpet (By the way, is that called "rat fur?") One auto detailer discouraged a steamer as that could make the carpet sag...

Also, has anyone ever seen sculptured shag on the inside of a Casita before?
I can't seem to find anyone else with the same carpet! (The pictures are from the "before") Thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1210.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	106818Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1212.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	106819
Stavig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:21 PM   #2

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
I believe your camper was "decorated" by the Festrunk Bros.
Attached Images

likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:34 PM   #3

Minnesota
Omg, nooo! It's looking a little better now but that hideous carpet... [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]
Old 05-31-2017, 04:55 PM   #4

Missouri
Registry
Really, I would vacuum it really well, and use a spray on foam carpet cleaner. You will have to massage the foam in my hand, but it won't saturate the carpet too deep.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:58 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How should I clean wall and ceiling carpet?

"Rat fur" is a nickname for the long-napped marine headliner used by Scamp for many years. This is not rat fur. It is a vintage sculpted residential carpet, popular in the late 70's and early 80's. I've seen two different colors on older Casitas of that era, brown (yours and here's another) and blue (you can see a few glimpses here and another here).

I'm not sure what would be best to clean it. I used a spray carpet cleaner (Oxy-something-or-other) to take some stains off the rat fur on the door of my Scamp where the door seal was not tight. Seemed to work well. If you're going to use a chemical cleaner inside, you'll want to ventilate well, use protection, and do it in sections. Others may be along with suggestions of less toxic cleaners that are effective.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:44 PM   #6

Minnesota
Ok, that's a good idea. First I'm probably going to scrub it with a scrub brush and then vacuum it...
Old 05-31-2017, 06:47 PM   #7

Minnesota
Did the carpet cleaner dry well, or did you have to put fans in your trailer...?
I know AZ is so much dryer than MN too so I'm worried about mildew developing before it completely dries
Old 05-31-2017, 09:12 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
You're right about AZ- it was bone dry next morning (cleaned in late afternoon, vent open, no fan). But I wonder if chemical cleaners will even support mildew growth. You don't use water, just the cleaner.

All the same, in a confined space, I would open windows and run a fan for the odor as much as anything. If in doubt, start with a small section and see what happens.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:18 AM   #9

Minnesota
Ah ok
Sounds like good advice, thanks!
Old 06-01-2017, 05:14 AM   #10

Missouri
Registry
Dehumidifying after cleaning

You have a lot of square footage you are wanting to clean. Once you get the humidity up it will take some time to dry. Try putting a dehumidifier in the camper with the windows closed. You don't want to try dehumidifying the entire state. If you don't have a dehumidifier available, or electricity is a problem, you can get a product like this DampRid 10.5 oz. Fresh Scent Refillable Moisture Absorber-FG01FS - The Home Depot which works like those little silica gel packets that you find in new products. Once again, shut the windows. If you can, park in the sun. It will steam it up and draw the moisture into the atmosphere where it can be dehumidified.

I left the windows down in a new car in a torrential rain storm. Dried up the worst of it, threw down towels and covered them with Damp Rid. Parked in the sun with the windows shut. The seats and floor were soon dry and the Damp Rid pulled the moisture out of the seat, through the towel and into the product. It can be purchased in bulk bags. I will continue to do stupid things, so I keep some on hand all the time.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:17 AM   #11

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
I used a Bissell upholstery cleaner
https://www.lowes.com/pd/BISSELL-Spo...IFYaAl6p8P8HAQ
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:26 PM   #12

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I've used the upholstery attachment of my steam cleaner. The glue used to attach the carpet isn't water soluble so it shouldn't detach. Better than chemical cleaners. If you are concerned with drying, don't do it all at once.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:34 PM   #13

Minnesota
Ok; yeah I was thinking more of the heat from the steamer causing problems... [emoji51]
Old 06-04-2017, 09:29 AM   #14

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Don't use hot water in your cleaner. Use cold water and a small amount of laundry detergent. Rinse with clean water and then again a small amount of fabric softener and again with clean water. If your cleaner doesn't have a lot of suction use your shop vac to get as much water out as you can to speed drying.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:52 PM   #15

Minnesota
In the past few years I have gotten my carpet cleaning down to a science haha
I start by spot vacuuming then I wash the walls/ceiling with a home carpet cleaner, just using the handheld attachment. In the tank I use a water and Lysol laundry sanitizer solution and just use the water suction feature about three times more than the water spray feature to get it as dry as possible.
To dry I either leave the windows open, dries in about two-three days, or if raining I close it up and use the DampRid and dehumidifier as suggested and also dries pretty quickly.
Then, when mostly dry/dry I put an ozone machine in the camper for 24 hours and it smells great and is totally clean for the season.
After each trip, in the season, I just spot clean. [emoji106]
Old 08-29-2020, 01:28 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I used spray on carpet cleaner and brushed with a soft brush and then sucked it dry with a wet and dry shop vac with the filter out. Did about 2 sq feet at a time.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:09 PM   #17

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I used spray on carpet cleaner and brushed with a soft brush and then sucked it dry with a wet and dry shop vac with the filter out. Did about 2 sq feet at a time.

That sounds like a good method too, especially for spot cleaning in between trips.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:24 AM   #18

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
I've used Camco RV Wash Brush to clean my car and recently the vinyl siding on my home. It's soft enough to be gentle, but works well for scrubbing the mold off my siding. Great telescoping handle that locks into place easily.
https://vogeltalksrving.com/best-rv-...hes/#more-1734
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:11 AM   #19

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavig View Post
In the past few years I have gotten my carpet cleaning down to a science haha
I start by spot vacuuming then I wash the walls/ceiling with a home carpet cleaner, just using the handheld attachment. In the tank I use a water and Lysol laundry sanitizer solution and just use the water suction feature about three times more than the water spray feature to get it as dry as possible.
To dry I either leave the windows open, dries in about two-three days, or if raining I close it up and use the DampRid and dehumidifier as suggested and also dries pretty quickly.
Then, when mostly dry/dry I put an ozone machine in the camper for 24 hours and it smells great and is totally clean for the season.
After each trip, in the season, I just spot clean. [emoji106]
I love it when posters return to give long-term feedback on advice and proposed solutions! Thanks for the follow-up report. It’s what makes this forum such a valuable resource.