How to clean/prep for new gelcoat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2020, 07:11 PM   #1

Name: Cordell
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
How to clean/prep for new gelcoat

This is the roof of our rather neglected 1973 boiler 17’ How should I go about cleaning the roof/suggestions on what to use would be greatly appreciated.Click image for larger version

Name:	C089D867-3C0D-43C6-8DC5-2B913E86B1D5.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	136290
cordelll58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:07 PM   #2

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I'd go with Barkeepers Friend.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:24 PM   #3

Name: R.R.
Trailer: Escape 21
California
You are going to hear all kinds of remedies; after trying most I finally found a competent fiberglass detailer who had the knowledge/products/tools- which was 3M compound, rotary buffer, with knowledge to clean the pad regularly. Tried the Barkeepers Friend. Love it in the kitchen- is a waste of time on the trailer.
Osos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:52 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Barkeepers friend with a green scrub pad worked good on mine. But a marine repair shop would certainly do better, at a cost of course.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:57 AM   #5

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
If the roof is stained, a number of posters have had good results making a paste out of Oxyclean and putting that on the roof.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #6

Name: Cordell
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Thanks

Hey thanks for the input It’s an August project so I’ll get at it soon
cordelll58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:45 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Im just confused by the title... prep for NEW Gel-coat. I think you might be able to restore the shine to the existing gel-coat, but it wont be new. It might even look new, but it wont be new.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:05 PM   #8

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
If your gelcoat can not be cleaned up your choice is painting. When building from scratch the gelcoat is sprayed in the female mold and then the fiberglass & resin is built up inside the gelcoat. Gelcoat crazing, cracking, and scratches can be repaired.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #9

Name: Shelley
Trailer: 1974 Trillium
British Columbia
Would the repairs be done by a fiberglasser? I had one look at my Trillium as it has those black dots, pitting, etc. and he said it would retain value if left in original condition. I wasn't concerned about that as I don't intend on selling it and he then replied that it would cost about $7-10G CAD to refiberglass her. I don't have that, so I am left with her looking faded, pitted, and dirty.
NitKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:52 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How to clean/prep for new gelcoat

Right. Actual gelcoat restoration with a fresh layer of gelcoat is very expensive unless you have the equipment and skill to do it yourself. Is that what we’re talking about here, or something else?

BTW, I disagree that the patina of weathered gelcoat adds value to a vintage trailer. It detracts, but not enough to recover even a fraction of the cost of professional gelcoat restoration.

If something else, what are you going to do after you clean it up? ZEP high gloss floor wax is a popular choice to restore a shine approaching new gelcoat, and it protects the underlying surface from further deterioration. Lots of old threads about how to use it.

I have also used Barkeeper’s Friend, thinned in water to a runny paste, to remove stubborn black spots. Use sparingly and gently- it’s still an abrasive, albeit a mild one. Start by removing as much as you can with regular detergent and a soft cloth. Then use the BKF as needed to remove the stubborn spots. Some things- tar and tree sap, for example- are better removed with oil-based products.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:43 AM   #11

British Columbia
I had it looked at to see what the cost would be to restore the exterior back to what it would have looked like new. Not sure if that's what a gel coat is.

Thanks for your response. Much appreciated.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:01 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
if you wanted to have the trailer re-gel coated they would have to sand off all the white gel coat down to the bare fiberglass and resin lay-up. They would then make any repairs needed to the fiberglass shell they would clean and prep for re-coating. they would used waxed gel coat. when you spray it on the wax in the gel coat floats to the top and seals it so you get a proper cure. normally when you spray gel coat it is in the mold and reflects the condition of the mold a brite polished smooth surface. With re-coating the gel coat you don't get that smooth surface it comes out like an orange. Then they have to come back and sand the surface smooth and polish it back to an original type surface again. almost no one could afford to pay professionals to do this on an old trailer. The people that do it are doing it themselves and are not being paid or dealers that buy cheep and force their laborers to do the work at employee rates and not customer service rates. If you wanted this work done you need to talk to the people at boat yards where this work is normally done on a daily basis.

Look up Gel coat repairs on you Tube.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:43 AM   #13

British Columbia
Thank you! Very helpful information.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:22 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
DONT use zep floor wax like I see so many on here reccomending. Ugh! Would you put that on your car? Floor wax will blacken and crackle in sun, its not designed for this application, people! I struggled cleaning my '89 bigfoot since Ive owned it about 10yrs. trying all sorts of high end car cleaning compounds, Mequires, Griots, etc. Barkeepers may work to maintain but does nothing for cleaning. I even tried the zep...HUGE mistake discovered a very few yrs later...
I finally came across Aquabuff series product this summer. The 2000 is the lighter compound and the 1000 is the heavier for really rough gel coats. A boat resto guy on youtube has a great video on its use and I followed his advice. He cleaned up a dark blue boat I think, and he does a nice job discussing gels. The stuff works really well and even stripped off the zep floor wax, thank god. I used more water than he did since it was warm outside. Its very gritty!!! It requires a high speed buffer/sander, not a regular wax polisher as the rpms need to be up there. I went to harbor freight for this and for their foam compounding pads. Their wool bonnets fall apart too quickly. I used the 1000 due to heavy clouding. Took me about 8-10 hours to do the perimeter but now it has a clean shine for the first time since ive owned it. Will do the 2000 polisher next and hope it goes a bit quicker now that I know the process. Youll probably only need 1 qt size for your trailer but get 2 just on case. Cost isnt prohibitive. I used a bit more than 1on my 19ft model but did not do roof yet. Bottom line is, no quick solutions if you want it done right. I am really glad I found this stuff.
hogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:28 PM   #15

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
I bought this B.E.S.T. 55048 Rubber Roof Cleaner and seal the roof of my Jayco trailer.I had been parked under an oak tree then a maple tree and I wanted to clean it up before winter.I picked a cool fall partly cloudy day to tackle the project.I diluted the cleaner as per instructions and started to clean.This stuff works great it lifted 90% of the stains with a small amount of effort.I had brought a scrub brush up with me ,but all I needed was an old bath towel torn into thirds.I was careful not to slop it off onto the sides. I wiped it up as I went along with an old towel. It looked great and wasn't as hard or messy as I thought . I will use this product again!
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote