How to hookup AC wiring? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2006, 11:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
For folks who have installed AC in their trailers, how exactly did you plug in the AC?

Our 120 v electrical outlet is next to the dinette, and we're planning to put the AC in the closet, which is too far from that outlet to reach. Since you're technically not supposed to use an extension cord w/AC, I was wondering if there's another alternative, or if it is easy enough to add another 120 v outlet over by the closet?
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
For folks who have installed AC in their trailers, how exactly did you plug in the AC?

Our 120 v electrical outlet is next to the dinette, and we're planning to put the AC in the closet, which is too far from that outlet to reach. Since you're technically not supposed to use an extension cord w/AC, I was wondering if there's another alternative, or if it is easy enough to add another 120 v outlet over by the closet?
Hi,
I wired a receptacle into my closet by running a heavy wire under the dinette seats around to the breaker box under the sink. It was a very simple operation. While I was at it, I wired in an exterior outlet under the right tail light. It comes in very handy. Be sure to check the load rating on the wire and be sure it's heavy enough to carry the amps needed. You have probably already figured this out.
Tom
Thomas Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:

The wiring is done just like in a big house... 12 ga. solid copper (I think-get the gages mixed up but sufficient to handle a 15 AMP circuit). You can most likely tap into the closest 110 V outlet. The trick is hiding the wire. Be sure to check the operating temp. of the AC when you start it... I've seen one trailer the AC was hot enough to warp the fiberglass because of poor air circulation around it.
John & Sandy M is offline   Reply With Quote