How to use a door key - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
How to use a door key

This is a headsup on possibly the most inconsequential problem of RVers and that only to a subset thereof. All of us have some sort of door lock for security. If you're cultivating that been in the desert too long look, maybe it's just a hasp and a pared down corn cob or piece of wire but likely you do have a padlock for Sunday go to meeting.

For those of us who have TriMark/Fastec locksets, how many of us have actually buggered the key opening because we didn't understand how to use a key? At least one of us--me. We're all used to weather-exposed locks which have a hinged door in the key slot, most notably on passenger car locks. Now that we all have RF keyless remote opening, we probably don't even notice that.

So today I discover why I have difficulty inserting the key in a Fastec lockset, particularly at nite. Found that the little door on the dead bolt cylinder was jammed about half way open. What's that about? (head-scratching sounds).

It appears that the weather cover in a Fastec keyslot does not hinge back but slides away from the opening laterally and is returned by a small spring. There a tiny half-moon shaped declivity to the side of the actual slot. It now dons on me that you don't use a bayonet thrust to insert the key; rather you slyly and gently push the tip of key into the declivity and the declivity ramps the key laterally to push the cover out of the way. I managed to get my tiny lock problem solved by thoroughly graphiting the key and inserting and removing until the spring-loaded door regained its ability to slide. Put some graphite on the striker and deadbolt while at it. I've always considered myself reasonably observant of detail--not a Sherlock Holmes perhaps--but not asleep either. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #2

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Scamp 16' old
Florida
Registry
Hi Jack, i'm glad you got past that glitch. I just got the old original lock wrenched off of my Scamp (no key from po) I was thinking of installing a double key dead bolt in it's place, & perhaps a handle outside. Haven't got anything yet.
Sandy
Sandy From Fla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #3

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy From Fla. View Post
Hi Jack, i'm glad you got past that glitch. I just got the old original lock wrenched off of my Scamp (no key from po) I was thinking of installing a double key dead bolt in it's place, & perhaps a handle outside. Haven't got anything yet.
Sandy
Had the same problem, Sandy. New lockset costs less than having keys made. Really pretty easy to get replacements for 10yr. old trailer as still being produced. I'm no expert but from what I've read, bit more complicated with a 25 yr. old. That's sort of a backhanded way of patting myself on the back for having the good luck to buy a 10 yr. old trailer. Come to think about it, probably wouldn't have to replace a thing on a new one for a couple yrs.

jack
Old 09-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #4

Florida
Registry
Your probably right Jack, I could, I think get a replacement lock from Scamp, but a good shlegleg or similar would give me a bit more peace of mind.
<<< Wow i;m glad they make their lock better than I spell it. When I started looking for a spare rim I brought one of them that was onn the trailer to size it up and 5 differennt places told me I would have a problem findinng a match, I got lucky onn nnumber 6 it was a boat trailer parts place bingo they had it first try, it looked so much thann the ones that came with the TT I bought 2 at 25.00 each. Will use the one already mounted as our spare. Next round tuit 2 new trailer tires. they are 13 inch, rims are 4 lug. Sandy
Old 09-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #5

Delaware
[QUOTE=Sandy From Fla.;268249]Your probably right Jack, I could, I think get a replacement lock from Scamp, but a good shlegleg or similar would give me a bit more peace of mind./QUOTE]

I'm uncertain if your peace of mind depends on a Schlage or a Shillelagh. Lock softly and carry a big stick

jack
Old 09-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think all these trailers have outside hinges. Pretty simple to remove those (when you don't care about damage... and thiefs don't). A fancy deadbolt isn't going to keep anyone out who wants in. The only thing it will do is give you piece of mind.

When the lockset in my Scamp wore out and I found out it wasn't repairable, I went to a local lock place and bought a garage door "T" handle. It had the same size shaft as the Scamp lock. A hack saw shortened it to the proper link... it came with two keys and cost me less than $5. Different strokes for different folks and this works well for me. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
It isn't just old keyslots either, I have had new ones that the weather cover thing didn't want to slide over and it was almost impossible to get the key in. My '05 Rockwood, my Haulmark cargo trailer, and my KZ Escape key openings all had to be lubed "right out of the starting blocks" (so to speak). One would think that the manufacturer could do better at lubricating the darn things at the factory.

Don't feel bad about just learning this, though. We all have to find out some time, some way. My first experience was with that Rockwood... and I called the dealer and complained because I thought the lock was defective somehow! They sent someone by to look at it (on his way home from work at the dealership) and he explained about lubricating it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Security is only as good as the weakest link, and sometimes there are a lot of weak links.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #9

Delaware
Quite right, Mike. This was a new Fastec (due to the usual loss of keys by PO) which I believe was underlubed out of the box. On the other hand, as the man said: "It does take a certain amount of skill to work here," so it's difficult to operate even something as simple as a key if you don't know HOW it's supposed to go.

jack
Old 09-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #10

Florida
Registry
Wow I really messed up that post, I knew I mis spelled that lock word (LOL). But I dont know where that quote stuff came from. Any way I'm gonna go look for a Lock I can spell. hehe.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #11

Florida
Registry
Thanks Donna D, I may just see what HD has in the way of garage door handles.
Sandy