Hunter 1 (Compact II ?) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2003, 09:33 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
retro-fitting brakes

Charlie, you can buy entire axle assemblies including the brakes and springs.
I don't know how standard these are for width, but one place advertises a 3500 lb
assembly with brakes for $470 cdn.

You can also buy the brake assemblies for $75 each if your hubs bolt onto the axle.

There seems to be some degree of obsolescence associated with these brakes.
Apparently the company that made mine is no longer in business and the magnets
to fit them are no longer available. With the hubs welded to the axles in my
case, I would have to replace the entire axle assembly to replace the brakes.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 11:31 AM   #22

More than you wanted to know about tanks

The guy saying the WalMart tanks aren't refillable anywhere else MAY have been right. Each WalMart store seems to have a contract with a different filled-propane vendor. Most will fill accept any tank that has a compliant valve and carries a current certification.

However, *some* Blue Rhino tanks can only be refilled by Blue Rhino (they've done something different to the valve), and if that's the way the local WalMart (or other place with tank trading), that's the way it is.

Next time you see a Blue Rhino tank cage, go read the fine print about the special tanks/valves. For what it's worth, I have seen the cages, read the fine print and looked at the tanks and have yet to see one of the special tanks/valves. I suspect it's possible that the special tanks may have been replaced by the new OPD.

If you have a new OPD valve installed on an old tank, I believe the tank is newly certified for only something like four years, instead of the 12 years you get with a new tank with new OPD valve.

Pete and Rats

Old 05-03-2003, 12:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Orginally posted by Pete Dumbleton

If you have a new OPD valve installed on an old tank, I believe the tank is newly certified for only something like four years, instead of the 12 years you get with a new tank with new OPD valve.

Pete and Rats
that might be worth just getting rid of the tank, even if I hadn't filled mine but once every four years. With the trailer, that could change. (sure glad you said that about the tanks, Pete. I kind of liked the price that propane guy sells propane for and he is convenient.)

Old 05-12-2003, 05:40 PM   #24

Still working

Hi again,

I've now gotten the plug rewired and the new propane tank. The guy that sold me the propane was very nice and rewired the plug for free, so I certainly owed him enough to buy his propane.
The Tilex really didn't do much. I had already scrubbed the stains with Comet with bleach. I guess I might try the vinyl spray as suggested. For this trip, I can just live with the stains.
Repack the wheel bearings, you say? I'll have to look into that, too.
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'll post some pictures from Snake Mountain, NC after my trip - my favorite place on earth!

Bob

Old 05-13-2003, 09:14 PM   #25

Hi Bob

I read your chat and you have a trailer that looks an awful like mine. Some other Compact II trailers shown have a more boxy shape where ours seem to be more aerodynamic. I have been working on mine for almost a year now and have it almost ready to hit the road. I have done some major frame, plumbing and wiring changes. I assume you have discovered that the fifth wire is for the backup lights, at least this is the case on mine. I installed a seven wire set up so I could add battery charging and braking to help with stopping capability on my short wheel base early bronco(and for off road travel)