Hunter Compact or trailswest campster - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2007, 09:24 AM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
I am looking for a lightweight trailer in which I can stand up straight, 5 foot eleven,with a bed that I do not have to crawl over my partner. In the past some one recommended a Compact junior. There have been several postings lately and some with pictures . They look very similar and I cannot determine the differences. What are they? One picture of the Campster shows the canvas pop up sides with screen windows and canvas covers for windows on all four sides. Was this original to one of these models or is this a later modifciation? Are these found in canada, B.C. or should I be anticipating purchase in the States? How hot are fiberglass trailers in the summer if there is no air conditioning?What is the actual height in these models? Some one stated around 6 ft.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:07 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
The major difference is probably the extent of the pop top. The Campster top only covers about 4 feet (where you stand to cook.) The Compact II is longer and Compact Jr is shorter, I believe. My Campster has what I believe is original "rat fur" insulation on the interior; the Hunter trailers have diamond quilted insulation. Other than that, I'm not sure.

Mine is down here on Whidbey Island (about 2 hrs south of Bellingham) if you want to come take a look sometime this summer. It's not for sale, though!

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Kent,
Bobbie has covered the differences very well. In any trailer as old as Compacts, Hunters, and Trails West Campsters, you may find much more has been changed due to modifications by various owners. For example, the original vinyl collar had four windows with mesh screen material covered by clear vinyl that was held in place by velcro. When I replaced the top I had clear vinyl windows sewn in that do not open.

You asked about heigth. My Compact Jr. has an interior height of 73" with the top up. With the top down I can get the trailer into my garage that has a door heigth of 83". I hope this helps.

Tom Trostel

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=73125484
Old 06-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
What's interesting, though, is the similarities. I looked at the eBay ad for the Compact in Lebanon, Oregon. It has exactly the same cabinets and stove as my Campster. (Not just the same layout, but the same wood veneer or fake wood veneer on the cabinets.) (And the Campster VIN plate says Trails West of Idaho, not Hunter Industries.) It has a different top, and a different wall covering, and as discussed above, the lift-top mechanism is different.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campster

« Compact II | SOLAR »