Hunter I Pop Top - Canvas Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Hunter I
Registry
Posting a photo at the request of harold f, who needs to replace the canvas part of his pop top. He doesn't have any canvas at all, & wants to see what it should look like. All I can provide right now is the attached outside view, which is a closeup detail of my profile photo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	top.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	27794

Don
Don H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Posting a photo at the request of harold f, who needs to replace the canvas part of his pop top. He doesn't have any canvas at all, & wants to see what it should look like. All I can provide right now is the attached outside view, which is a closeup detail of my profile photo:

Attachment 27794

Don
Thanks Don. Yours looks really nice.I have quite a while before I get to the top as I have already taken the unit off of the frame and have done some welding and braceing on the frame where the a-frame tounge connects to the rest of the frame. It had broken on both sides so I am beefing it up a little. Going to clean the frame with side grinder with wire brush and repaint it.Have come quite a way since I got it friday,plus we have been getting floods here in TN.Thanks for the photo.Does yours have an icebox or ref?This one has icebox and I am thinking about taking it out later.I would like to see some closeup photos of the fabric if you get a chance. Im in no hurry though.Thanks again Don.
harold f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Hey Harold,
My Compact II is very similar to the Hunter I's as far as the top goes, so next time I'm tinkering with my rig at the storage place (probably fairly soon! hehe) I'll snap a few pics for you as well.
My fabric needs to be replaced as well, but it's not in shreds or anything, so I'm putting it off until I'm living somewhere with a garage, so I can tear it apart and not worry that it's out in the weather or something...
There are a couple of things I've noticed about mine though, the more I look at it closely...:
1. My trailer's top is not one piece of fabric/vinyl, but actually a separate piece for each side of the rectangular shape of the top, sown together at the corners.
2. The fabric is not completely closed in around the bottom where it contacts with the trailer body, there are openings here and there where you can actually stick your fingers between the fabric and the body of the trailer, and reach out into the open air.
Don't know if any of that helps, like I say, just stuff I noticed. I'm 99% sure my top is original, as my rig is pretty original overall, and the fabric of the top is such a big undertaking to change out. Anyway...

So when do we get to see some pics of all this work you're doing, huh Harold?? hehe

Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:09 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
I had an old Hunter pop-top for many years, and sewed up a new pop-top using rip-stop nylon from REI and clear vinyl for the windows, with no-see-um netting on the outside. The vinyl windows were fixed in place with hook and loop on top and sides and stitched to the canvas (ripstop nylon) along the bottom. Much lighter and more flexible than the naugahyde original.

Mike
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
I had an old Hunter pop-top for many years, and sewed up a new pop-top using rip-stop nylon from REI and clear vinyl for the windows, with no-see-um netting on the outside. The vinyl windows were fixed in place with hook and loop on top and sides and stitched to the canvas (ripstop nylon) along the bottom. Much lighter and more flexible than the naugahyde original.

Mike
Rip Stop is really a good choice..... with the constant up and down of the top that material really holds up well.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Hey Harold,
My Compact II is very similar to the Hunter I's as far as the top goes, so next time I'm tinkering with my rig at the storage place (probably fairly soon! hehe) I'll snap a few pics for you as well.
My fabric needs to be replaced as well, but it's not in shreds or anything, so I'm putting it off until I'm living somewhere with a garage, so I can tear it apart and not worry that it's out in the weather or something...
There are a couple of things I've noticed about mine though, the more I look at it closely...:
1. My trailer's top is not one piece of fabric/vinyl, but actually a separate piece for each side of the rectangular shape of the top, sown together at the corners.
2. The fabric is not completely closed in around the bottom where it contacts with the trailer body, there are openings here and there where you can actually stick your fingers between the fabric and the body of the trailer, and reach out into the open air.
Don't know if any of that helps, like I say, just stuff I noticed. I'm 99% sure my top is original, as my rig is pretty original overall, and the fabric of the top is such a big undertaking to change out. Anyway...

So when do we get to see some pics of all this work you're doing, huh Harold?? hehe

Joe
Thanks for the info there Joe.Im getting a little better idea of what it should look like.Been busy today getting rust off of the trailer,wish I had a sandblaster.Just got through with a 71 starcraft deep-v aluminum boat and had to do the same thing to that trailer.Need to take some photos I quess as other peoples photos and ideas have helped me already.I hardly take pics of a project,but when I get through I wish I had.The top will be later on as I am thinking about painting the fiberglass when I get through with the trailer. The whole unit needs some work but I don't have much money in it.Coushions need reupholstered also. Thanks again Joe
Old 05-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #7

Quote:

Mike
I was thinking of something like that. Great idea,thanks Mike
Old 05-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #8

Try to get pics in Joe

Name:	hunter_005.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	27819

Frame

Name:	hunter_003.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	27820

Inside

Name:	hunter_002.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	362.2 KB
ID:	27822
Old 05-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Nice job on the frame, harold! That's doing it right. My trailer's front section was in good shape; no cracks, fortunately.

There wasn't much rust on my CII's frame, but I did wire brush it and also used the grinder to prep for welding and remove many paint layers on the tongue.

I welded a couple of cross members to my frame for reinforcement:
Attached Thumbnails
frame_primed.jpg  
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Nice job on the frame, harold! That's doing it right. My trailer's front section was in good shape; no cracks, fortunately.

There wasn't much rust on my CII's frame, but I did wire brush it and also used the grinder to prep for welding and remove many paint layers on the tongue.

Thats one of the things I did today-taking the many layers of paint off the tounge (thick) down to bare metal.also welded some pieces into the rectangular holes on the side of the a-frame where it attaches to the rest of the frame.Just didn't look good to me.Tried to straighen the rear bumper on outside edge from the lengthwise channel out but didn't have much luck. That stuff is thin but it sure is tough!!!Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
hunter_005.JPG  
Old 05-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #11

Quote:

What type of paint did you use francine? I got some oil based white primer and some oil based white enamel today and plan to roll both on whin I get through with the rust and ect.
Attached Thumbnails
hunter_005.JPG