I can see light THROUGH the rat fur?! - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-29-2018, 11:41 AM   #1

Name: amy
Trailer: scamp 13
ME
I can see light THROUGH the rat fur?!

It is not leaking in any way right now but this is the light showing through.
This is the plate part where you put the top bunk on in the front.

Will it start to leak? What should I do to remedy this?
It doesn't look like the belly band, it is higher about 4 inches higher than the bellyband but there are no rivets or screws or anything from the outside so I am confused?
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 1.35.45 PM.jpg  

amy in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:53 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy in maine View Post
It is not leaking in any way right now but this is the light showing through.
This is the plate part where you put the top bunk on in the front.

Will it start to leak? What should I do to remedy this?
It doesn't look like the belly band, it is higher about 4 inches higher than the bellyband but there are no rivets or screws or anything from the outside so I am confused?
Amy fiberglass is translucent and will let light through, you usually do not see this because the foil backed insulation blocks the light. The spot you are looking at, i assume its at the front bunk attachment point, just doesn't have the insulation lined up 100% and that is why you are able to see the light. It is nothing to worry about.

Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:56 AM   #3

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
If you had the top bunk in place set as couch you'd never see or notice the light leakage.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:06 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
indeed, I found out the whoe inside of my Casita is not light tight... I've got blackout curtains on all the windows made from Reflectix, and when trying to sleep in on a hot sunny morning after a late night of astronomy, the inside is surprisingly bright.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:12 PM   #5

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompka View Post
Amy fiberglass is translucent and will let light through, you usually do not see this because the foil backed insulation blocks the light. The spot you are looking at, i assume its at the front bunk attachment point, just doesn't have the insulation lined up 100% and that is why you are able to see the light. It is nothing to worry about.
Thank you!
I panicked because nowhere else has this, I decided to wash all the covers and then realized the light.

I thought the fiberglass was much thicker but it seems it's so thin!

How is that even holding the bunk bed?!
The top bunk is SO heavy with wood stuck to the foam...
Old 06-29-2018, 02:08 PM   #6

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
I have slept in a couple of fiberglass trailers which were gutted and had no lining. The lights from the truckstop made it glow like a big light bulb inside.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:09 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
How is that even holding the bunk bed?!
The top bunk is SO heavy with wood stuck to the foam...
The bunk will be fine Amy and seeing light bleed through is normal....next question. BTW, the pic made it an easy answer .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:36 PM   #8

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have slept in a couple of fiberglass trailers which were gutted and had no lining. The lights from the truckstop made it glow like a big light bulb inside.
Ohhhh but it probably would have been AMAZING if you put those high wattage lights INSIDE and looked from the outside!
Old 06-29-2018, 02:43 PM   #9

ME
Thank you all for your reply!

I didn't want to mess with fixing things so I wanted a brand new Scamp, but ended up buying an used one because of the wait

My heart stopped, thinking THIS is what I get for buying an used camper lol
I'm sure there WILL be fixing to do as years pass by I just didn't want it to happen this soon! But so relieved that it's nothing to worry about!
Old 06-29-2018, 03:20 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Amy, there are posts & pics of gutted TTs like Floyd mentions. The interior pics of ALL the daylight showing is amazing.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:44 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I can see light THROUGH the rat fur?!

I've never seen light leaking through that area in my Scamp, and we have the bunk set up a lot, so I would have noticed.

However, I agree that it is nothing to be concerned about. Just sloppy cutting of the foil bubble wrap, leaving a gap along the bottom of the ledge.

If the light is bothersome, you could carefully slit the headliner, glue in a strip of Reflectix- or any other opaque material- and re-glue the headliner.

Or not.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:13 PM   #12

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Ohhhh but it probably would have been AMAZING if you put those high wattage lights INSIDE and looked from the outside!
I'd probably wake-up half dissected at area 51.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:54 PM   #13

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
The previous owner of my Scamp had a couple of those "puck lights" and left them for me. One of their modes of operation allows them to light up a kitchen cabinet when the door is opened, that is, a little bit of light from a certain direction will make them turn on and when that little bit of light is gone, they turn off. This mode of operation turned out to be completely useless in the Scamp storage cubbyholes, since the walls are translucent and there are plenty of little gaps in the Reflectix.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #14

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Currently shopping
North Carolina
Light will show through very thick FRP as well as thin FRP. It is not possible to determine thickness by looking at the light coming througj.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:48 AM   #15

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
I understand your panic...when I saw that in our Snoozy,( a LOT of light in the ceiling, walls...all over) I was wondering if the walls were really...that thin? that perhaps (having been warned repeatedly that sun will destroy the gel coat) the gel coat had~ thinned~ that much in the Fla. sun? I was reassured by the magician of a boat detailer that did SO much repair work of all kinds, that it is in fact normal. We -don't love it- at all though. This is why..one day, we'll figure out this insulation situation, hopefully.
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #16

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarie View Post
I understand your panic...when I saw that in our Snoozy,( a LOT of light in the ceiling, walls...all over) I was wondering if the walls were really...that thin? that perhaps (having been warned repeatedly that sun will destroy the gel coat) the gel coat had~ thinned~ that much in the Fla. sun? I was reassured by the magician of a boat detailer that did SO much repair work of all kinds, that it is in fact normal. We -don't love it- at all though. This is why..one day, we'll figure out this insulation situation, hopefully.
Did the previous owner rip out the wall coverings? But if it's bare to begin with it'll probably be easier to install

Yes, I've never been in a fiberglass camper before, my dad did have a boat where the sleeping area was on the bottom and I never saw light like this go through or maybe because I was a kid I wasn't paying attention. It freaked me out big time!
Old 07-13-2018, 05:31 AM   #17

Florida
HI Amy...No, there was nothing to rip out...it was just the surface of the walls. There is zero wall insulation in the Snoozy.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:47 AM   #18

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarie View Post
HI Amy...No, there was nothing to rip out...it was just the surface of the walls. There is zero wall insulation in the Snoozy.
I've been researching this as well Because I'm pulling out rivets and filling the holes right now and got me thinking. The rivet thing was scaring me away but it's not difficult at all. It's just time consuming. So I think I want to take out the cabinets and rip out the ratfur and put in something better. Did you know reflectix only has a R value of 1?? It goes way up to 6 if ONLY there is an air barrier in between. If you just glue it on it's 1!! AND it takes 2 process.

I initially thought of spray foam insulation, but you have to sand it to get it smooth, and the most flammable of the 3. This is how I got to this article. Googling spray foam insulation on fiberglass. I sparyfoamed my attic so I thought I can do this easier than gluing on 2 layers. lol
Check it out, it goes through all of the pros and cons of each insulates.

Controlling condensation belowdecks - Ocean Navigator - November/December 2010

As of now I'm heading towards Armaflex. It's a 1 process install no need for coverings but they only have black and white. This author says it's only black but I found white too. I'm not sure if they are paintable, and I have to research more on durability, gas emitting etc etc. But it's foam so there will be that cushiony feel but it's closed cell foam so more dense and not too soft. I think it's more like those pool noodles than the soft foam perfect! If you look up closed cell foam you'll find lots on the web telling you about it. Somebody on a different post recommended foam backed headliner but I think that is just regular foam and not closed cell foam. The Rvalue would end up being totally different if it's regular foam. regular foam will suck up moisture closed cell wont.

Anyway, I was having problems with emitting gas from the cushion foams so I'm researching about all the chemicals that is in these Armaflex and how long for it to gas out etc. but it's hard to find that info

Just thought it'd help if you knew more about other insulation too before doing all that work! But I personally think it's not worth all that work for Rvalue of 1...I'm sure there are other options too if you look into it. And if you're not in a hurry there may be better ones coming out.

Good luck with your install which ever road you choose!!
Old 07-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #19

Florida
sending you a pm Amy!

Tags
light