I'm "In The Pink" & It's Spring! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2009, 05:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Never had to do this before so "Here Goes". What's the best way to get rid of the Pink Stuff (Anti Freeze) from the lines and drains. Do I have to take the trailer to a Dumping Stn.??? Can I allow it to run out on the gravel driveway or should I pay the dealer to take out what he put in???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Alf: Here's what I've been doing and/but I'm not sure if this stuff has a usable 'shelf life', or is even re-usable. I try to void our trailer and save the used r/v antifreeze. (Flushing the system might be more of a problem though??) I don't know how long I can keep reusing this stuff. I wonder if a regular anti-freeze tester could/would yield any results??
Anyone else....????
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I would think trying to reuse it would end up with it being diluted somewhat. Even in my 24' trailer I am getting rid of, I only use one gallon every fall. The stuff is quite cheap. The RV antifreeze is fine to treat just like gray water, it can be dumped or spread onto the gravel. I just usually release mine into the trees at our rec property with no problems at all.

NEVER use regular anti-freeze, the type that you use in radiators. It is highly poisonous and can kill you if ingested.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
Okay, another question for us too.
I "thought" Reace said that we can just leave things as they are and it can just go into the grey and black water tanks...

I know it isn't in the hot water tank and not in the drinking water tank....so I am hoping that is right...
Help---we will be de-winterizing too soon (maybe--we had snow yesterday) and no clue what to do.... Right from the start...
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
Okay, another question for us too.
I "thought" Reace said that we can just leave things as they are and it can just go into the grey and black water tanks...

I know it isn't in the hot water tank and not in the drinking water tank....so I am hoping that is right...
Help---we will be de-winterizing too soon (maybe--we had snow yesterday) and no clue what to do.... Right from the start...
Reace 'otter know' of which he speaks.
IMHO, leave it alone as long as you know you're going to be somewhere soon where you can dump (the Fort) when you leave, you should be o.k.

.....40 more sleeps (for us!!)
...we're starting to 'double down' too!!
Attached Thumbnails
Copy_of_2009EggMap.jpg  
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
We put the pink stuff into the cottage plumbing each fall and it just flushes into the septic system when we open up in the spring and turn the water on. Have never had a problem. Besides the stuff is so inexpensive that I don't even considder trying to reuse it.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
i drain mine on the gravel then wash it down with water... that remminds me I must do so before leaving tomarrow morning!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I use it every year in my boat, and just flush the system with clean water.
It is safe to drink ( so they say ) so I don't see a problem draining it on the gravel.

Just be sure you flush the system before you connect the hot water tank to the system. If you don't it takes forever to get it to quit foaming after the water gets hot.

Bill K

Quote:
Hi: All... Never had to do this before so "Here Goes". What's the best way to get rid of the Pink Stuff (Anti Freeze) from the lines and drains. Do I have to take the trailer to a Dumping Stn.??? Can I allow it to run out on the gravel driveway or should I pay the dealer to take out what he put in???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote