I need a Range - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-18-2020, 01:08 AM   #1

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
I need a Range

Well the range in my 1984 Bigfoot has a finally died and I need to replace it. I don't want to spend the money on a new one and was looking for a used one but no luck so far. If anyone can provide some leads to one in W. Canada greatly appreciated.

Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:54 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita SD 17
Loon Lake Wa. and Boulder City, Nv.
Registry
If you don't have any trailer dismantling yards around check with auto dismantling yards. Most of them have some campers/trailers on their lots that have been in accidents etc. You also might be proactive and place an ad in your local paper/craigslist/marketplace asking for one. Many people have parts laying around that they plan on using one day but that day never comes.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:42 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Sourcing another one from a recycle/scrap yard would probably be a "crap shoot" at best. You may get lucky, and then you may get one that's in worse condition than what you have now. Personally, when it comes to indoor fuel-burning appliances, I'd spend the money and buy a new one that you could be sure isn't going to be more problems than it's worth.

I removed my old Suburban POS stove from my Casita a while back and replaced it with a nicer stainless steel flush mount two burner unit from Dometic. The new one is head and shoulders above that factory installed el-cheapo Suburban.

https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometi...st-iron-grate/
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0004.jpg   IMG_0009.jpg  

IMG_0015.jpg   IMG_0013.jpg  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:50 AM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I really doubt one could find a good quality used range. Most made for trailers are not that great to start with.

We love our Dickinson Carribean. Not cheap, but fantastic performance and quality. I did pay a lot less than what is advertised on their site. They are a marine product.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00249.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	134741
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:24 AM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I really doubt one could find a good quality used range. Most made for trailers are not that great to start with.

We love our Dickinson Carribean. Not cheap, but fantastic performance and quality. I did pay a lot less than what is advertised on their site. They are a marine product.

Attachment 134741
Jim you are killing me with that photo. How much of your kitchen is factory? Did you install that pop up in back of the stove? how does one go about not paying full price for that stove?
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Jim you are killing me with that photo. How much of your kitchen is factory? Did you install that pop up in back of the stove? how does one go about not paying full price for that stove?
I built the entire gallery, and customized the cabinetry throughout. Yes, I installed the pop up electric/USB. If you talk directly with sales at Dickinson, you can get a better price.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:29 AM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
how does one go about not paying full price for that stove?
We had to purchase a chandelier recently. They had a "make an offer" button on their website and an eBay presence with the same thing.

Although the fixture was listed as selling for 33% off of MSRP, I went ahead and offered at just over 40% off figuring they might at least split the difference.

They replied and said they would sell it for 50% off, which was less than I had offered.

They say a price is just an anchor to get a figure into your mind as buyers never have a true objective sense of what something is worth.

However, this episode was just-plain weird. Someone there could use a little training, like don't insist on accepting less money than a customer is offering.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:04 AM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
I built the entire gallery, and customized the cabinetry throughout. Yes, I installed the pop up electric/USB. If you talk directly with sales at Dickinson, you can get a better price.
Very very nice work. I have to get it out of my mind for a few years. My BigFoot is new and I will use it for a while before any renovations.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:05 AM   #9

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Ranges are often under used in campers, and used ones can be a good option, I will be replacing mine this year, for cosmetic reasons , not because it quit working. I bought a used one to replace it. I know there is at least one RV recycling yard in BC, can't remember the name right now, but google it and I'm sure you'll find it

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:10 PM   #10

Name: Jane
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
California
Quote:
@ Jim
I am so impressed with your work.

@Tamid,
I wouldn’t play around with a propane range. Get something new that will fit in that area. Jim’s range looks great, but there are other makes & models that may fit your budget.

Something you should consider: how often do you use the oven? If never, maybe you should get a range and replace the oven with storage area (storage is king) - or a microwave.
You can probably make it up on resale. From a buyers point of view, one less appliance to worry about.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #11

Name: Brad
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Alexandria
Post a pic of yours. You are welcome to have what's left of mine for postage I recently removed it. 1984 13ft scamp.

Alohah3 is offline   Reply With Quote