Insurance? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp
I would like to insure my new (to me) 2001 Scamp, but my auto insurance company will only insure it for something like $1200, with a $500 deductible, since they said that is the book value of it. Needless to say, I paid a lot more for it! Does anyone have any suggestions for insurance for a fiberglass rv, or will I just have to suck it up and go with no insurance? Of course, liability extends to the trailer from the car, but nothing else.

Susan
Susan Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
I would like to insure my new (to me) 2001 Scamp, but my auto insurance company will only insure it for something like $1200, with a $500 deductible, since they said that is the book value of it. Needless to say, I paid a lot more for it! Does anyone have any suggestions for insurance for a fiberglass rv, or will I just have to suck it up and go with no insurance? Of course, liability extends to the trailer from the car, but nothing else.

Susan

Hi Susan,
We used State Farm at $145.00 for 6 months and then found USAA for $132.00 for 6 months, $500. deductable. When we took out insurance on our 2009 Casita, they (both Insurance Co.) asked us what we paid for it not what it's worth by Blue Book, even thou Blue Book does not do travel trailers or at least that is what I read on a website.
Hopefully this helps you out. Good Luck, Carmen
Carmen D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
Imagine for my 1973 Boler

My Insurance company just asked me how much I paid for it, if I was to make any modification, and for how much I wanted to get it insured, they just establish the amount I have to pay them after in consequence.

They know about these things, it is like if a car insurance company would offer only 1200$ for a 1944 collection car because it is not in their book anymore, it doesn't make sens, go for another company.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
I insured mine through Progressive, and they offer "agreed value" coverage where your payments are based on the value you agree to. If you don't pay the extra for the "agreed value" then you'll normally only get actual cash value (ACV) which is always lower than most people believe their camper is worth.

John
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
Here's a fringe benefit from aging: if you're over 55 and a member of AARP, you can get insurance at a good rate from Hartford. Not only did they beat our car insurance company for insuring our cars, the cost of insuring our trailer was half ($200/yr. as opposed to $400/yr) of what our (now former ins. co - 21st Century) wanted to charge us. And that's for a new Escape 19. The deal would have been even better if we had been able to bundle in our homeowners, but Hartford won't insure houses in forested areas, like ours. Small bummer, but overall we're happy trailer campers.
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Our insurance is thru Good Sam's (GMAC) and very reasonably priced. I don't know if this would be true if we hadn't bought our trailer new. We did, I think, have to send a copy of the invoice and bill of sale for verification, but they issued a binder over the phone on our way to the manufacturer for pickup, with a credit card.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I would like to insure my new (to me) 2001 Scamp, but my auto insurance company will only insure it for something like $1200, with a $500 deductible, since they said that is the [b]book value of it.
The "book" most places use is the NADA Guide. This publication uses the same algorithms as when valuing used cars, and they assume that trailers will depreciate in the same way.

The insurance issue is one reason we maintain a Sold Archive to use as a resource to set "stated value" for insurance purchases and claims.