Intalling a new awning on my 2011 Trilllium 1500 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2015, 09:09 PM   #1

Name: Philippe
Trailer: Trillium
Quebec
Intalling a new awning on my 2011 Trilllium 1500

I just bought a 2011 Trillium 1500
Wondering if I can easily have a awning installed ( none at the moment)
Where can I find one ?
Thanks
Philippe
Lavoieph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:36 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Does your trailer have an awning rail?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:53 PM   #3

Quebec
Négative, no rail, Never was equipped with a awning before ,..
Old 04-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 19 5'er
Colorado
Our new-to-us 2002 Scamp has an awning, but since we've only owned it a few months, I have never opened the awning. The seller told me that the manufacturer has gone out of business. I checked with a local repair shop and they quoted roughly $1000 to replace the awning!!!

So, I've decided that if the awning doesn't work for whatever reason, I'm just going to remove it from the Scamp and buy one of the 10' x 10' patio/camp shade awnings from Walmart. They only run about $100, so it's a no-brainer.

Good luck,
piperjim
piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
There are at least three types of attached awnings commonly used on small fiberglass trailers. Jim, you have a case awning, which is what Scamp and others install as options from the factory. The awing and supports roll out from a solid aluminum case. As you have discovered, they are pricey to replace.

Bag awnings and rope-and-pole awnings both attach to the shell using an awning rail, which is a C-channel with an attachment flange. Typically they are riveted to a fiberglass shell, but I've also heard of people using VHB tape. A bag awning self-stores in a bag that hangs on the outside of the trailer. A rope-and-pole awning is removed and stored when traveling. Cost is maybe $2-300?

For a variety of reasons, cost being one, we use a freestanding awning. If you go that route, I'd strongly recommend paying a bit more for a straight-leg, rather than a slant-leg, design. You get more shade, it can be set up close to the trailer, and you can get side panels.

Another freestanding option is a Clam shelter. A number of forum members report liking it a lot due to lighter weight and easier 1-person set-up.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #6

Quebec
Hi, thanks for your feedback , what is a clam shelter , never heard of the term , thanks .
Old 04-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #7

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
I've been using a freestanding "EZ-UP" type shelter with my Trillium. The biggest issue I have is that it is not tall enough to clear the camper's door.

I have ordered an awning from Trillium in Calgary, but it's held up in manufacturing right now,

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Martins HeirCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:07 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavoieph View Post
Hi, thanks for your feedback , what is a clam shelter , never heard of the term , thanks .

Google is your friend
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:43 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavoieph View Post
Here's a link: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ers-68244.html
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjim View Post
Our new-to-us 2002 Scamp has an awning, but since we've only owned it a few months, I have never opened the awning. The seller told me that the manufacturer has gone out of business. I checked with a local repair shop and they quoted roughly $1000 to replace the awning!!!
Humm..... if it was the factory installed awning Scamp was using at that time it would be a A&E/Catalina case awning and Dometic took them over and they are still in biz and you can still get parts for them. They may even be still making the awning, although in very recent years I think they may have changed the design of the awning to be more like the one found on the newer Scamps. When I purchased my new to me trailer the case awning on it was very difficult to put up and take down. Reason for it turned out to be that the previous users of it had not read the directions and had forced it many times causing the plastic end caps to bend out a little. Inside the end caps are guides that no longer worked well due to being bent out of shape - once I replaced the end caps it was much easier to put up and take down if following the directions as to how to best do that.

The Fiesta type awning the Escape uses (believe the newer Trillium Outbacks? do as well) is a far more popular one as it is much easier to put up and take down. If I was to purchase another awning that one would be the one I would get.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning