Interlux users.. how much should I order? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium
Just brought home my 75 trillium 4500 a couple days ago. I've been reading the forum for hours on end lately! I've decided to go ahead and use interlux paint to achieve the look I want.

Here is my shopping car so far..

INT-4259G INTERLUX 4259 BRIGHTSIDE BLU-GLO WHIT
INT-0202Q INTERLUX 202 FIBERGLASS SOLVENT
INT-0333P INTERLUX 333 BRUSH LIQUID
INT-4279Q INTERLUX 4279 PRIMER WHITE PRE-KOTE

I just don't know how much paint I'll use. Do I order a gallon of finish paint and a quart of primer? Or a Gallon of both?

I see most that have used it here applied 3 coats or so, so I'm thinking about doing the same. Did most use the primer pre-kote as well?

Any input from interlux users is appreciated!
Geoff W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Geof, while I still need to reply to Booker in another thread.... these paints and supplies are what we used. The 'pre-coat'/primer/sealer is a must and it helps hide whatever finish is underneath. We did one GOOD coat of primer/sealer and two of the white. I can't tell you how much to get, as our trailer is only a 13footer. Buying too much is better than too little, as any unopened cans can (usually) be returned if un-opened. How much you use also depends how thickly you apply it. You could also pretint the sealer IF you are painting a color other than white for your final coat. SCUFF ALL SURFACES to be painted. Paint either indoors in a VERY well ventelated area or outside, but OPEN all windows and the door. The roller sleeve of choice is a FOAM one. The other ones make the paint looked like a 'marbled' finish, which IS O.K IF thats the look you are going for. WATCH for runs and sags in the paint it is very free flowing.....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #3

Trailer: Trillium
Quote:
Geof, while I still need to reply to Booker in another thread.... these paints and supplies are what we used. The 'pre-coat'/primer/sealer is a must and it helps hide whatever finish is underneath. We did one GOOD coat of primer/sealer and two of the white. I can't tell you how much to get, as our trailer is only a 13footer. Buying too much is better than too little, as any unopened cans can (usually) be returned if un-opened. How much you use also depends how thickly you apply it. You could also pretint the sealer IF you are painting a color other than white for your final coat. SCUFF ALL SURFACES to be painted. Paint either indoors in a VERY well ventelated area or outside, but OPEN all windows and the door. The roller sleeve of choice is a FOAM one. The other ones make the paint looked like a 'marbled' finish, which IS O.K IF thats the look you are going for. WATCH for runs and sags in the paint it is very free flowing.....
Doug

Thanks very much for the reply. Good to read from someone who has painted a RV instead of a boat!

How much paint did your 13ft camper take? Mine is only 2ft longer.. so the difference won't be huge. Just want a ballpark idea on how much to order. Be it two quarts, or 1 gallon etc.
Geoff W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Doug

Thanks very much for the reply. Good to read from someone who has painted a RV instead of a boat!

How much paint did your 13ft camper take? Mine is only 2ft longer.. so the difference won't be huge. Just want a ballpark idea on how much to order. Be it two quarts, or 1 gallon etc.
Geoff,

When we painted our 16' we rough figured the square footage for complete coverage without subtracting the window openings. We then went by Interlux's website, got a phone number for support and gave them a call. After they gave us an approximate quantity we added to it for a little bit extra for screw-ups. We ordered 5 qt of the Sapphire Blue and 1 Gallon of the Pre-Kote to start. We ran into more troubles than planned for and had to get more pre-kote and 2 extra qts. of the blue before we were all done. We still have blue left over, and we wound up sanding most of the 1st gallon of pre-kote off. Like I said before, we ran into more troubles than we had planned for.

Good Luck with your paint project.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote