Is a Casita made to handle the weather in Iowa - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2009, 05:30 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My wife and myself reside in norhtern Iowa and are considering a Scamp or a Casita. Because the Casita comes in a 17 footer we are leaning toward that brand. We are also open to other brands used.
My question is most of the Casitas owners seem to be in the souther part of the states, with exceptions. Casitas being built in Texas would explain part of this. As Casitas owners how do you feel they will hold up to the Upper Midwest winters? I may not beable to provide storage for the trailer in the winter. Do you feel the Scamp would be better for the northern States?
Any imput would be appreciated.
Steve s
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #2

I was in NM last November. It got to 9 degrees. I was pretty comfortable. (I dont have a furnace, but I did have a Honda generator to run the overhead heater. It kept the camper warm enough.)

If you want to just store it over the winter, they are not too hard to winterize.
genebland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 5.0
Quote:
My wife and myself reside in norhtern Iowa and are considering a Scamp or a Casita. Because the Casita comes in a 17 footer we are leaning toward that brand. We are also open to other brands used.
My question is most of the Casitas owners seem to be in the souther part of the states, with exceptions. Casitas being built in Texas would explain part of this. As Casitas owners how do you feel they will hold up to the Upper Midwest winters? I may not beable to provide storage for the trailer in the winter. Do you feel the Scamp would be better for the northern States?
Any imput would be appreciated.
Steve s
If I'm not mistaken, the Casita's only insulation is the carpeting on the walls and ceilings. Not sure about the Scamp. That being said, our 17' Freedom Deluxe stayed quite toasty using the furnace, in the chill of our VA and NC mountains. However, you could definitely tell it was cold at night if you were sleeping in the outboard position, and the single pane glass tended to sweat and freeze.
One consideration might be the Escape Trailer (http://escapetrailer.com/). It comes with a standard layer of insulation, with the option of doubling it, and the option of double paned glass windows. These trailers are made in Canada, so they KNOW cold. Reading under tutorials (on your left there), read [b]Winter Camping. Who wants to stop in the winter????????
Happy Fiberglass RV'ing
Dan Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hi Steve! Welcome to Fiberglass RV from another Iowan!

Yes, a Casita will hold up nicely in Iowa weather. There are many of them in Iowa. Actually any of these fiberglass rvs will do fine.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
I hunt into November in Wyoming out of mine! Just have a generator, and plenty of propane. When it gets 0 or colder it does get icey inside as around the windows, but so do many homes!
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
You seem to be interested in winter storage, not using it, so there would be essentially no difference between Scamp, Casita or most any fiberglass rig -- The winterization is in the appliances, not the shell, and they both use essentially the same stuf.

Scamp would have a slight edge over the Casita in terms of using it in cold weather because they have a layer of Reflectix-type insulation (double foil sandwiching bubble-wrap) between the shell and the carpet but that won't mean anything in storage.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:43 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you're concerned about snow load on the top of the trailer, there are cheap solutions. Members have placed a brace on the inside of the trailer (think 2x4 made into an "I") to support any additional weight on the roof.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:57 AM   #8

Thank you for your replies. Also wish to thank all on the site for all the imformation I collected on campers and assisting in the future purchase of a camper.
Steve
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
For what it's worth, I was talking to a salesman at Scamp and asked him what they do about the trailers sitting out back in the winter and he said NOTHING and they have had no problems.

Bill K

Quote:
If you're concerned about snow load on the top of the trailer, there are cheap solutions. Members have placed a brace on the inside of the trailer (think 2x4 made into an "I") to support any additional weight on the roof.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
I had both a Scamp and a Casita while living in Alaska and they were quite equal in the winter. I brushed off the snow occassionally. Of course, I had to winterize about the end of September. Either of these are easy to keep warm in, especially with the propane furnace. Running the plumbing in the winter is not what they are made for, however. You need a four-season trailer for that.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita