is my boler painted? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2020, 07:48 PM   #1
AKS

Name: Amanda
Trailer: 1977 Boler '13
Tennessee
is my boler painted?

Hi all - I was deep diving today and planning to pull the trigger on attempting a gelcoat repair vs doing a new paint job, but after I went out and looked around my '77 Boler (I believe deluxe - but that was partially based on paint scheme which is, turns out, not original) I noticed that there is one larger chip that reveals what looks like yellow paint below, and the trim around the door is also a tad loose which reveals yellow also. Does that mean my boler was painted at some point? Or is yellow what it would look like if the original gelcoat was chipped? The paint job is white with a 2 tone blue stripe below the belly band. It has the larger jalousie window in the door.

I also have to deal with a broken porch light that I cant find a good replacement for, so whichever way I go I need to address whatever may be under there...

I dug up a ton of good stuff on dealing with old gelcoat, but if anyone has tips on the larger chips as described, or where I should start if I am working with a paintjob over the gelcoat, that would be much appreciated! I am planning on using brightside or rustoleum topside and roll and tip or the hairdryer method if I have to paint.
AKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Most likely painted. I'm sure pics of your concerns would get good feedback.
So if white peels off and there is yellow underneath, then white isn't original
but white gelcoat could have been applied over the yellow, but it's most likely paint.
Fred
Old 04-20-2020, 10:46 AM   #3

Name: Dave and Bonnie
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
I'd be pretty sure it's paint, and the original factory colour. I have a 77' 17 ft Boler and it and many others have this beige/yellow color. You can look at Bolers for sale on line and check the colour match with that you have uncovered. I would think you might want to sandblast or somehow remove the paint that covers the original and start from there, otherwise the new coat you put on will just chip off as well.

Dave and "Bernice"
Attached Thumbnails
Doorside View 2016.jpg  
daveandbonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:42 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Out side light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKS View Post
I also have to deal with a broken porch light that I cant find a good replacement for, so whichever way I go I need to address whatever may be under there...
Is the RV pictured in your profile the one you are asking about? The stripe has been added but the rest looks stock. A close-up of the damage would help. The light pictured is the best I could find, (my “old” one was filling with water) but you will need to add an inside switch.
Attached Thumbnails
35a OUTSIDE LIGHT.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:12 PM   #5
AKS

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Is the RV pictured in your profile the one you are asking about? The stripe has been added but the rest looks stock. A close-up of the damage would help. The light pictured is the best I could find, (my “old” one was filling with water) but you will need to add an inside switch.
Indeed it is! you can see the porch light there - the plastic got busted up and it doesnt seem to work anymore anyway, though now you have me wondering how they were designed to be turned on/off? A pull or something maybe? If I end up painting and needing to go to all that length I may just not have a porch light, unless I find something easy.

I will try to get some good pics to show the spots I am talking about. Attached are some I had on hand in case they help.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5621.jpg   IMG_5623.jpg  

Old 04-20-2020, 08:14 PM   #6
AKS

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandbonscott View Post
I'd be pretty sure it's paint, and the original factory colour. I have a 77' 17 ft Boler and it and many others have this beige/yellow color. You can look at Bolers for sale on line and check the colour match with that you have uncovered. I would think you might want to sandblast or somehow remove the paint that covers the original and start from there, otherwise the new coat you put on will just chip off as well.

Dave and "Bernice"
Thank you! Love your egg Now that you mention it I am laughing at myself - the inside was yellow/beige when I got her! I just never connected it all as the outside was white. I painted over the yellow/beige fiberglass inside with an epoxy of some sort, I dont recall as its been a few years now.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:24 PM   #7

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Porch light

Quote:
Indeed it is! you can see the porch light there - the plastic got busted up and it doesnt seem to work anymore anyway, though now you have me wondering how they were designed to be turned on/off?
Search Amazon for "rv porch light" and you will find several with a built in switch.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #8

Name: Martin
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
The two best options for porch lights I found were...
https://www.amazon.ca/Kohree-Exterio...ch+ligh&sr=8-6

And... https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...00-lumen/5568/
Marty_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:19 AM   #9

Name: Garry
Trailer: Surf Side
Alberta
Registry
Just got ours SurfSide back last night from painting
Attached Thumbnails
20200501_194006.jpg   20200501_193950.jpg  

The_Kramers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Amerigo
Wisconsin
Fiberglass to trailer painting

Quote:
Hi all - I was deep diving today and planning to pull the trigger on attempting a gelcoat repair vs doing a new paint job, but after I went out and looked around my '77 Boler (I believe deluxe - but that was partially based on paint scheme which is, turns out, not original) I noticed that there is one larger chip that reveals what looks like yellow paint below, and the trim around the door is also a tad loose which reveals yellow also. Does that mean my boler was painted at some point? Or is yellow what it would look like if the original gelcoat was chipped? The paint job is white with a 2 tone blue stripe below the belly band. It has the larger jalousie window in the door.

I dug up a ton of good stuff on dealing with old gelcoat, but if anyone has tips on the larger chips as described, or where I should start if I am working with a paintjob over the gelcoat, that would be much appreciated! I am planning on using brightside or rustoleum topside and roll and tip or the hairdryer method if I have to paint.
My 1974 Amerigo Fg16 was on reasonable condition for its age. There were some areas or damage and several "ports" in places where they didn't makes sense for today's campgrounds.
So I did some fiberglass patching. I followed that up with painting using Rustoleum Marine primer and paint. (Menards) I did a lot of sanding, then primed and followed that with a finish coat. I sanded between coats.and cleaned before coats.
I only used brush for some small areas I could not get in with my 4" foam roller. I did this out of the sun and wind in a shed. Most people that see if ask where it was painted. While doing the priming you can develope your technique for the rolling to get the best results. Does the finish look like a 500k motorhome, no. 90% of the people won't believe you if you told them you rolled it either!
I have even touched it up in several spots and they disappear in a couple of weeks.
The patching I used fiberglass, then blended it in with Bondo and finally little flecks I filled with spot putty.
Tom
bigangelman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, paint