Is there a non-permanent stovetop cover? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Is there a non-permanent stovetop cover?

I would like to put a cover over my 2-burner Suburban stovetop in my Scamp. I want something that I can put over it and easily remove, basically a larger version of the burner covers we use here in the house. I ordered something that looked like that, but in fact it is designed to be fastened down with a hinge and then is raised and lowered instead of simply removed and set aside to use the stove (can't be used without attaching it). I can't seem to find a simple cover for it that does not need to be permanently attached. Is there such an animal?
Peggy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Call Scamp, my cover just sits over the burners.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy S View Post
I would like to put a cover over my 2-burner Suburban stovetop in my Scamp. I want something that I can put over it and easily remove, basically a larger version of the burner covers we use here in the house. I ordered something that looked like that, but in fact it is designed to be fastened down with a hinge and then is raised and lowered instead of simply removed and set aside to use the stove (can't be used without attaching it). I can't seem to find a simple cover for it that does not need to be permanently attached. Is there such an animal?
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I purchased a large cutting board from Ikea and put little legs on the bottom corners so it sits over top of the burners. Works great in creating extra counter space when needed. Stow it under the bed when not needed. Fast and cheap.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Thanks! I have continued to search online and found a nice one at JC Whitney that supposedly (the CS rep called the manufacturer to check) sits freely, and it comes with a nice wooden cutting board on top. If that's not right, I will call Scamp next, and if that falls through, then will do as we usually do--make my own like Carol did! I'm looking forward to having the additional counter space. Only 43 days till October 1st, when it just might start showing signs of being cool enough to camp here in Florida!!! YAY!!!
Peggy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi peggy---as i have written on this forum previously, dennis made one for me with a piece of 1/4 inch plywood scrap cut to fit the stovetop and i simply screwed on 4 doorstops, and i just stand it up behind the stove when in use--otherwise it provides more counter space. cheap and easy---my kind of mod!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #6

Registry
oh one thing----i screwed the doorstops on in such a way to stop it from sliding while we were driving....just stagger where they are placed.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:40 AM   #7

Registry
actually 6 legs

just an update, there were in fact 6 legs, here are some pics, very quick an easy but very effective an idea from a friend of ours i copied........

d
Attached Thumbnails
st1.jpg   st2.jpg  

Old 08-22-2010, 07:06 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's a recent discussion about stove covers (with pics) here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ble-43218.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
We use an acrylic cutting board with rounded corners on the stove top and can also place it over the sink for added space. No legs or feet. When not in use, it stands on end against the wall of the closet.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
I did something similar to Theresa's, but for the legs, I bought a wooden dowel & cut short sections. I drilled holes halfway through the cutting board & glued the dowel pieces into the holes. I placed them so it fit snugly around the stovetop & there was no movement. Cheap & easy!
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:49 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
We (meaning hubby) made a cover for the stove that can double as a tray so when we haul things out of the trailer for a meal, it all fits neatly in the tray, but can also provide additional counter space if needed or can also hold the dish drainer.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:12 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The legs I put on my cutting board are actually small rubber stops that were about the right height -I cut them down a little bit and screwed them onto the bottom. It stays put when traveling on smooth roads but on rough roads I need to store it away under the bed. When cooking I just put it on the counter beside the stove.
Attached Thumbnails
Small-Door-Stop-Rubber.jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
we made our own and I posted it here a few months ago:

Stove Cover

Easy and works out fine.

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:26 AM   #14

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I made a cutting board with little feet for my sink cover and a large aluminum baking pan for the stove cover.

Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote