Is this door sag? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #1

Name: Kelly
Trailer: '75 Trillium 1300
Arizona
Is this door sag?

I'm not sure this is the best place to post this (still new to the forums), but I'm looking at purchasing this 1975 Trillium RIGHT NOW. We're over 4 hrs from home to look at this and the guy made us a really good offer on it. But does this look like door sag? I'm unfortunately not knowledgeable enough to tell. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1398610102.755246.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	70302Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1398610142.948942.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	70303
Kelly H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
It is sagging a bit and typical. But that is an easy fix on a Trillium, unlike on other types of trailers. It would not stop me or many others from buying. Go for it!

BTW do you have the buyers check list?
Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #3

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I am not a Trillium expert but it doesn't look like major door sag to me. On the Trilliums I believe the raised bit on the door never lined up with the belly band. If the door is closing and opening without you needing to lift it up or move it around it doesn't have significant door sag. On the Bolers there is often a large gap on the opening side further down where it doesn't align at all.
There you go Roy knows more than me!
Heres a pic of typical door sag on a boler.
Attached Images

kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #4

You are right kootenaigirl on everything, nice picture to show the difference. The Trillium fix is a lot easier than the boler. All Kelly needs is a couple of hours, a few tools and a tube of epoxy putty for about $10.
https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGI..._code=NLS16002

What Kelly has shown is typical and should not stop her from buying that Trillium. The boler fix is a much larger project.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #5

Kelly,
Don't keep us hanging here. Did you buy the trailer?
Old 04-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #6

Arizona
Yep yep! Sorry for the late update. We're doing some final cleanup before driving it home. The guy knocked $2k off his asking price, so for $3k, I think it's a deal. It's going to be a little work, but I'm looking forward to the project!
The awesome folks on this forum have already been so helpful!
Old 04-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #7

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Not a deal, a steal!

Congratulations!
Old 04-27-2014, 01:37 PM   #8

Trailer: Tote N Tarry
If it's got good bones, which it looks like it does, then the pretty stuff will come later. Besides, the pretty stuff is the FUN part of it! Congratulations on your new baby. You'll have no problem reselling it down the road, but you won't want to.
Filbert V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #9

You drive a hard bargain there Kelly. Remind me not to try selling you a trailer. Now the fun starts.

Pointers for the first trip home. Lock the door before you go. Pull over a few times to check your bearings at the center of the wheels for excess heat, tire pressure, hitch connection and lights. Make that a habit for every time you stop.

When you get home, you can post more pictures and Dave Tilston is going to ask you to add your serial number to the list he is compiling.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #10

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly H View Post
But does this look like door sag? I'm unfortunately not knowledgeable enough to tell.

I knew before I even clicked on this thread I'd be looking at a Trillium!

Whatchagot there, Kelly-me-girl, is the Signature Trillium "bellyline-don't-line-up-at-the-door-edge" feature.

It's part of the mold...and a surefire sign yer gettin' the Real Thing!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #11

The remenants of a second aftermarket latch did catch my eye though Francesca.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #12

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Wonderful, now the fun begins!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:40 PM   #13

Arizona
I did notice those bits of aftermarket latch remnants too. The inside is full of aging and poorly done aftermarket "trinkets" too. Like the makeshift shelves in the attached pic. And I need to visit a local RV shop and change out the plastic channels all around.
The most recent PO was an auto mechanic so the mechanical stuff seems to be in decently working order. He just wasn't an interior decorator. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1398663367.231922.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	70376
Old 04-28-2014, 12:21 AM   #14

Quote:
And I need to visit a local RV shop and change out the plastic channels all around.
If you are talking about the wrinkled T molding I see in the picture, it can be straightened by dropping it in hot water. Or you can get it from Tom at TrilliumRV www.trilliumrv.com for $108. It is the 1st item on his order form.
http://trilliumrv.files.wordpress.co...artsorder1.pdf

Tom is a one man show that spends a lot of time on the road so don't expect quick responses.

Hang around here long enough and you will learn what to buy where. If you don't know you can ask. Many of us avoid the RV $tealerships whenever we can.

I'm wondering if the original shelving framework is not hidden under the panel doors.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:34 AM   #15

Arizona
Thanks for the tip! The trim is short in a lot of places so I'd like to replace it since it pops in easily.
I worked in parts at an RV dealership in Texas back in 2002 for just a few months, so I know how overpriced they can be... The problem is I don't know what anything is called to search for what others have done. But I guess what they say about pictures is true.

About the fiberglass shelving above the dinette, if it was on one side, it would be on the other, right? There isn't anything above the bunks, and the contact paper that was applied beneath is curling and would undoubtably act as a great fly trap with its tackiness (I don't want to test this theory) so I didn't fiddle with it too much, but I think they're just rudimentary installed shelves. I wouldn't mind removing them and using them as a template to make something a little... um, better since the holes are already there. I wish it had the fg shelves!
Old 04-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #16

Arizona
Oh, man! That document is a gold mine! Thank you!!!
Old 04-28-2014, 12:50 AM   #17

Arizona
And I can get a replacement 3-way fridge for only $475? Roy, you are my new best friend. We were budgeting over $800 for that.

So, two more questions while I have the floor. The Doorway bulb seal on the site, is that the rubber foam on the inside of the door? And second, if you look at the pics I posted at the top of the thread, what is that black rubber called that goes around the trim?
And thanks to everyone. This forum is priceless.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #18

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
$475?!? If you wait long enough, you can get a replacement fridge for free. I suspect that your fridge is an RM211. They were also common in pop-up tent trailers. The trailers are now falling apart and the appliances go cheep. I have never paid more then $100 for a working fridge, and I got two RM211's for free.

I would really love to see more pictures of your trailer, outside and inside. But those shelves got to go.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #19

Quote:
And I can get a replacement 3-way fridge for only $475? Roy, you are my new best friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
$475?!? If you wait long enough, you can get a replacement fridge for free.
Kelly,
I think you should make Dave your NEW new best friend. He'll be able to answer most your Trillium questions off the top of his head. Me, I still have to search a bit.
I've only got 1 Trillium that I've barely started on, Dave has a fleet of them.

Dave, can you take over and answer Kelly's questions please? The $475 was for a single new RM2193 Tom has listed on his parts page. Not sure if it will fit in her trailer. You know the kithchen cabinet changes over the years better than I.

I'm assuming Kelly is the female in the avatar, then again it could be the he. It's one of those names that applies to both. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_(given_name)
Old 04-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #20

Arizona
I'm the *she*. My husband will join soon enough. Right now I'm just sending him links to informative posts I find while searching. (Which is an average of 15 an hour - rough estimate)
The current fridge works on electric and we haven't tested on LP. It's just something that would be nice to replace down the road after we get everything else cleaned up and fixed. I just thought they sold for much higher when we were budgeting potential future costs into our negotiations. The seller tried to tell us we could get a dorm fridge from Wal-mart to fit, but I'm not drilling anymore unnecessary holes or cutting out a huge chunk of the cabinet.