ISO wing nut for Trillium 1300 rock guard - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #1

Name: Liz
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
ISO wing nut for Trillium 1300 rock guard

I'm in search of a replacement wing nut that tights down the spring loaded front window rock guard. This is for a 1971 Trillium.

I purchased a package of 8-32 wing nuts from NAPA but they don't go on at all. The fellow that sold them to me said there is something wrong with my bolt. Seems odd to me when the one wing nut I have works just fine on both sides.

Any who, looking for a lug nut. Any ideas on where to find one would be mutely appreciated.

Thank you.
Liz in Calgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:47 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Wing nuts

Assuming the wing nut that you have will work on the “bolt” that doesn’t have one. You might have to take the second wing nut to a genuine hardware store with one of those stacking displays of Specialty hardware in the compartmentalized boxes. There you can match them up. You could have a different thread count than is commonly found. There are places that sell a little hardware ( like an auto parts store) but are not a genuine hardware store. It’s easy to blame the customers equipment when the retailer doesn’t have, doesn’t understand the problem or is just too lazy to figure it out. Read that ( not enough profit in a small
sale) and no faith in future sales. IMHO
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Probably a metric vs. imperial thing.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #4

Alberta
I agree Dave with your comment. He said I stripped the bolt or screw whatever it is. I said I lost it because it sprang out into the grass in the pouring rain. blah blah. Okay, I'll try and find a better hardware store. thank you.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #5

Alberta
could very well be Dave since it's from the 70's.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #6

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
8-32 is a fine thread. It might be a 8-24 (coarse thread) or 10-24 or 10-32 or maybe a 12-24. You might ask the hardware store or auto parts store if they have a thread gauge you can borrow and that will tell you how many threads per inch. It could be metric though.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #7

Alberta
thank you. I will do that very soon. Appreciate all your replies.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
8-32 is a fine thread. It might be a 8-24 (coarse thread) or 10-24 or 10-32 or maybe a 12-24. You might ask the hardware store or auto parts store if they have a thread gauge you can borrow and that will tell you how many threads per inch. It could be metric though.
8-24 would be a very rare thread. Being a machinist I am familiar with threads. Does the new wing nut start a turn on two then lock up? Or does it not start at all. Either way take your sample one that works to the hardware store find a machine screw that it threads on to and then you will know exactly what size it is.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #9

Alberta
yes the new wing nut goes on turns maybe once then locks.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #10

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Turning once and then locking sounds like mismatched threads to me and if you force it you will strip or gall the threads. Sounds like Doug has the right idea if you still have a wingnut that works. Take it to a hardware store and find a machine screw that fits and then get the matching wingnut or get a nylock that once snugged up wont vibrate loose.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:58 PM   #11

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Wing Nut for Rock Guard

I got my replacements at Ace Hardware here in Seattle, and yes, they were metric. Went all out and purchased stainless steel
Colleen C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:21 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Stainless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen C View Post
I got my replacements at Ace Hardware here in Seattle, and yes, they were metric. Went all out and purchased stainless steel
Good for you! Now you know that if you have to replace other bolts or nuts they may be metric too. Stainless steel is the way to go in cases of exposed threads in my opinion. Especially in areas with salty sea air.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:32 AM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Being Canadian, Trilliums are metric, and Robertson.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:38 PM   #14

Alberta
Missing wing nut for 1973 Trillium solved

well the search for the wing nut is over. Joe at Trilliumtrailers.com had the arm for the rock guard and there was a beautiful wing nut.

If you need parts for fibreglass trailers, call Joe. He has all sorts of treasures there. He also was kind enough to demonstrate an awning for a Trillium to me. Really impressed with his kindness and care for his products. They are so busy making new trailers. They are beautiful.

Thank you Joe. You've got me back up and running again.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Heads up alert for those using stainless steel fasteners. Stainless fasteners can experience thread galling which will bind the nuts onto the screw threads. You should coat the threads with an anti seize product to prevent this if you are using stainless steel screws/bolts and nuts on your trailer projects. Even if you use Nyloc nuts you should put some anti seize on the threads.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium