John's CT Rebuild - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 84 U-Haul CT
Introducing myself here... I purchased an '84 CT from Ohio about a month ago and am just getting around to rebuild. My mandatory time table is Memorial day, but would like to get her on a test run before. I copied most of this from the Uhaul site as they have some decent historical info on the CT, but this site is invaluable ~ well, my donation is on the way, so it is valuable

I just scored two extra hubs and some other nice stuff from Melissa C who just bought a CT and lives 1/2 hour away. I swapped some things (water tank, screen tent) for hubs, table stand, and tires/wheels!

Anyway, I just got mine and have been tearing her down. She was without converter and just found decent one on ebay new for $80 delivered (25 amps). You may want to upgrade - much lighter and efficient-er ha.

So I hope you are taking pictures. I am, but have nothing to show yet. I just added a fantastic fan where the swamp cooler was and have torn out (everything) carpet and icebox. I resurfaced stove - the furnace was not there, so I am putting a quick connect on the capped propane line and running it outside with a quick connect to add an outside grill. I did the felt trick on the windows and that worked well. The only thing really decent about my rig is she doesn't leak ~ but the window seals look really nasty from the outside - at least they're functional.

anyway, hope to add pics when progress is made!

John

John Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
Looking forward to it John ... I just bought a CT myself and now that the rain has subsided here, I plan to get to work on the little fella myself. Looking forward to your photos and progress. If I time this just right, I can stay a step behind you for the duration of the rebuild! Just kidding!

-Paul
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #3

Haha, I just posted this to you specifically on the Uhual forum...

Hopefully we'll get a break in the rain this weekend and I can get some stuff done on her!
Old 03-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
sounds good John and we'll all be following the progress (and pictures) during the re-build. BTW: Now you can change your profile to 1984 CT U-Haul (through My Controls)!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Cool, John!

We love seeing what other people are doing, especially when they tear everything out and rebuild completely! Looking forward to seeing your photos!

Val & Kayla
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:40 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Talking

Quote:
Cool, John!

We love seeing what other people are doing, especially when they tear everything out and rebuild completely! Looking forward to seeing your photos!

Val & Kayla

Yes, so very cool! I am looking at a U-Haul 13' CT...it has been stripped and I'm trying to figure out what I would do and how I would do it. Please share your progress as you go!

I'm going to post a new topic about this and hope I can get input from other U-Haul CT owners.

Pam
pnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #7

New Pics!
Whew ~ a few weeks ago. Finally some pics. Outside of her when I bought her home (Jezabell). Added fantastic fan with wall mounted thermostat (actually rheastat?) and auto dome lift. replaced icebox with 110 fridge. Added bubble wrap in ceiling, and currently adding the carpet (from a remnant). Also reworked the electric installing a converter. Super grounded both the battery and grounding block. This is a lot of work, but camping is NEAR! Redid the propane so interior original stove works well. capped propane for furnace and replaced with 110 milkhouse heater. Small leak in front window and eternabond worked like a charm, so I eternabonded the side windows. They don't leak, but there is the eternal issue of the old "track" felt. Replaced that, and it is very tight. Does well during rain, but not so well at the "car wash" test haha!

Got the zippers replaced where required for cushions, working on curtains (thanks Pamela) now. Should be ready to roll in 2 weeks! Hope the pics uploaded.
Attached Thumbnails
newfantastic.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #8

Talking

And how could I forget...
The old wheels had apparently NEVER been removed. Had to cut them off and fortunately saved one for a spare. The other will do in a pinch. Also salvaged the hubs so I have 1 really good spare and one that will do in a pinch. Also have a spare axel thanks to Caroline! Scrapped the idea of adding a quick connect to the capped propane line and will just "T" into the 20 lb tank with outdoor grill later if I want to go that route.
whew!
Old 04-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
John, Can you clue me in to the 'felt trick' that you mentioned you used on your windows? I am hoping that you mean that you replaced the 'u' shaped fuzzy liner inside the window tracks? (that the windows slide in) Mine have turned hard and crusty and I'm not sure what to do with them. My windows still open, but not easily.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:57 PM   #10

Registry
John!

well done sir! hmmm, you have really been busy and though we started off at nearly the same time and the rain had stopped here ... well, the rain started again AND i gotta whole lotta drama to report as to what went down and where i am at with my CT - but that will be another thread (dont want to hijack your thread!).

so first - love it, love it, love it! can i get some specs on that cool looking fridge? i took the "Bald Eggle" for his first ever adventure last weekend, and immediately felt with one cooler already that the icebox would be redundant and a fridge would serve us better. also despite having a mint swamp cooler ... i doubt i'll need it here in central Cali. what did you settle on for a fan?

i was joking when i said if i stayed a step behind you this would be easier for me, but heck ... i'm not too proud to ask you for tips since you've done a great job!

oh yeah - i am going with your idea for the 25 converter too. thanks for sharing!
i hope to post here very soon about my CT adventure...
Old 04-21-2010, 05:51 AM   #11

Hey Pam and Paul ~ thanx for the kudos,

Pam ~ yes, that is the felt "Channel". I used the Perfect Fit http://www.perfectfit.com/15594/156059/Gla...ked-Lining.html
and they are VERY TIGHT. Window "handle" even came unglued when closing the window with force - so now I use a dent puller to slide the windows haha. I actually used the soft side of velcro for the back window and it slides very smooth. I am pleased with the windows but they are old and will need replacing sometime ~ but I'll wait til I decide to paint because they don't leak unless its a real frog strangler.

Paul ~ thanks! I just used an inexpensive Haier 1.7 cf fridge from wally world for about $50. framed it up with 2x4 to height and trimmed with furring strips (no pic yet). I was pretty pleased, as the fridge fit with minimum cutting out the old cooler. We have a 12V edgestar we use in combination, so the Haier fridge will work as a cooler when boondocking. I REALLY LOVE THE FOLKS AT FANTASTIC FANS! They are an American company who does business with the customer first. They helped me immensely with the fan and I think it is the best part of the egg haha. wall mounted thermostat so I can adjust the fan speed from the bed! The WFCO converter works great so far, but I'll go through a year charging cycle and see how the battery is effected ~ friends have had great results for the price.

Also forgot to mention, we used anti-fatigue mats for the floor. That gives us a cushion and we wont worry about dirtying it up, as we'll just remove and hose if any mud (we do a lot of bluegrass/music festivals Also formed up a new table and have it set.

Struggling now with the carpet headliner ~ i used a good remnant, but it isn't exactly square. Just need to add one 12 volt socket, one 12 v light, curtains, cleaning, and headliner and we are ready to roll (I'm sure I'll think of something else). Doubt I'll get to her this weekend as the DW is needing some attention (She dubbed the CT "Jezabell" as it takes all my time and money haha).

Old 04-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Glad to see all these UHaul owners enjoying their trailers! Mine is all ready, thanks to the hubby, for a weekend when we can get away.

CindyL
Old 04-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
John, I also have some crusty felt on my VT. I pried up the side channels and there was 1/4 inch of mud clogging the weep holes outside!

Do you know the specific p/n of the felt on that page you linked?

Is the rear window the escape on the CT? Is that why you went with the Velcro loop instead?

I am dealing with some leaks. I saw some RV plastic extruded gutter on Camping World for about $2 a foot in 10' lengths, and it attaches with the provided sticky tape. I could "eyebrow" the windows or put a drip rail all along the roof edge. I think that could solve most of the problem.

Regards,

Matt
Old 04-26-2010, 01:57 PM   #14

Hey Matt,

i got the longest, biggest one (AS-1466) and it is too thick. it fits in decent, but the windows are then super tight, so I'd go one size smaller at least! I went with felt on the back because I had it on hand and just tried it out ~ and it worked.

I'm OK with the windows. A real downpour and you get a trickle, but we have a tarp for emergencies that covers the rear and two sides (without interfering with the fan).

I've smacked my head on that door so many times I'm getting brain damage. I'd better be able to sleep comfortably after all this work haha.

getting the curtains done and plan on finishing May 8th weekend.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Brain damage is a "feature" of the UHaul (Of course you have to know that this is what Microsoft said about bugs in their software.)

CindyL

PS: I teach special education methods. I always get a laugh when I tell them that I worked with a physician treating traumatic brain injury who said that every time you bump your head, you are a different person than before you bumped your head. So how many different people have now worked on your CT?
Old 04-26-2010, 10:42 PM   #16

Registry
ha!!! the head whacking bit made me laugh out loud! i took a buddy out camping last weekend and he nearly knocked himself completely out on that doorway! i mean, people at the next site were groaning in pain for him it was so loud. good news is, we were full of Jameson's so he had properly anesthetized the area prior to the trauma.

i hit my head a few times now too, but after that - i come out of the CT like i am trying to win the Limbo in the Olympics!

Old 06-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #17

New pics!

Well it's been a while, but things have settled down and I have good news now. We have a custom made 12 footer (not glass ), but only weighs in at 800 lbs. We towed Jezabel with our '96 MPV, but she blew up (age, not weight of camper). Now we have an Accord as tow vehicle and the uhaul puts a bigger load and more comfortable towing the teeny tot. Haven't pursued sale, since we were in limbo, but we have decided to sell and here are some semi-done pics!
I'm no body man, and pics show an area above wheel well where there is a slight tear in the glass. Also could use a paint job and the windows as mentioned b4. I couldn't find pics of exterior, but will take some more ~ hasn't changed on the outside
Attached Thumbnails
frontcush.JPG   rear_nocushion.JPG  

backrtnocush.JPG   badplacelg.JPG  

Old 06-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #18

more pics
Attached Thumbnails
badplaceclose.JPG   rearcush.JPG  

Old 06-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #19

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
more pics
That's a bunch of work completed on your CT. I'm interested in hearing more about that ultralight trailer. Is it a teardrop of some kind?

Regards,

Matt
Old 06-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
That's a bunch of work completed on your CT. I'm interested in hearing more about that ultralight trailer. Is it a teardrop of some kind?

Regards,

Matt
It's like the picture he's using as his avatar (picture under his name).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote