keeping cool - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2007, 08:16 AM   #1

Name: Ruth
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arkansas
Registry
Need some help we have been trying to install ac in the closet mentally it seemed easy and my husdand went the extra mile building a sturdy base and frameing out the exhaust with foam, not wanting to cut a giant hole in the side of the scamp to slide the ac out. But it gets tooo! hot and the compresser shuts down any ideas? Thanks Ruth
Ruthies Radiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ruth/Jim, click on this link: Lance's Blue Boler, obviously then click on the Bolerweb for pictures. Check out what Lance did to slide the A/C in and out of the trailer..too cool
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
There's an exhaust vent to the outside, but is there an intake vent? It needs one...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
Need some help we have been trying to install ac in the closet mentally it seemed easy and my husdand went the extra mile building a sturdy base and frameing out the exhaust with foam, not wanting to cut a giant hole in the side of the scamp to slide the ac out. But it gets tooo! hot and the compresser shuts down any ideas? Thanks Ruth
I'll echo others advice, you must have plenty of intake, as well as exhaust if you don't want to have to pull your AC out to operate. I'll also add to be sure to add a drain for any condensation or you'll end up with floor rot. And it's very importaint that the backside of the AC (the hot end) is completely separate from the front (the cool end), otherwise you'll not cool anything.

In my case I used a small enough AC, (5000 BTU), that was narrow enough & short enough to allow both intake air to come into the sides & top of the unit and exhaust air out of the center, all from a single access of the closet. I made a small baffle that keeps the hot exhaust from mixing with the intake.

I've since added a short "chimney" to the baffle to direct the hot air upward and I operate the AC with the access door open.
This mod works great, the AC gets plenty of air circulation, and my Scamp stays cool on the hottest days here in South Carolina.

If it'll help, here's a link to a slideshow I made for YouTube.com showing my work on my Scamp 13', it includes how I put in my window AC in the closet.
Here's the link
Old 07-19-2007, 02:36 PM   #5

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I echo what has been said. I installed a unit in a cabinet below the bed, with ducts to bring the cold air to a useful area. The main thing was to separate the "exterior" air circuit from the "interior circuit."
Because of the short ducting and plenums needed I also put in two "helper" fans (squirrel cages from Grainger) to help move the air to and from the buried unit. I cut intake and exhaust vents into the floor, being reluctant to go through the wall as you are. With the appropriate baffles this works quite well and is not subject to leakage. A "stealth" installation.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Hi, I don't post too often but read all the time.
I have installed small home air conditioner in
our 13 Boler and are happy with it.
I mounted it on the floor at the back of the Boler under the table/bed. I cut holes in the floor on each side of the unit
and made ducts to get the air to the intake. I didn't worry about
the hole I cut out the back hidden by the spare tire. I think holes
have been cut in these things about everywhere! They don't seem to care. I do have to disassemble one more time to detail instalation
and put in the condensation drain that I never thought about.
Air conditioners have 2 separate air systems, one interior and
one exterior and they are both necessary for proper operation.
We have been to 2 Boleramas on the prairies. We moved to BC
(Best Camping) and are hoping to get to Oregon in 08.
Later
Fred & Marilyn
Old 07-21-2007, 09:28 AM   #7

Name: Ruth
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arkansas
Registry
Thanks for the feedback we have worked out the baffle, hot air out cool in with a larger access door still working on the drainage system. Lucky for us our trip to Michigan was chilly and breezy and did not need ac low 50's at night and we have some time before the next trip will let you know how it goes and some pics too. Ruth & Jim
Ruthies Radiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
My cooling system combines several ideas already mentioned:
- a small AC unit that blows horizontally, not vertically, placed in my Scamp's empty fridge cabinet
- enough "ducting" (actually something as simple as a well-placed pillow on top and at the sides) to separate hot and cold air circuits.
- a 110V helper box fan behind the AC to assist hot air exhaust (the AC unit stays within the shell)
- it's all cam-strapped to the cabinet shelf, on top of a dish drain tray that routes condensation out the vent panel.

This system, including a used air conditioner, cost me less than $50 and works well where it's hot. I remove it when it's not, to save the weight and storage space. Good luck with whatever you choose.
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote