Kipor Generators - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2006, 05:26 PM   #41

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980
I am in the market for a generater so read this thread with much interest. I dry camp quite often and most of the time in hot weather so need one that will run a 13500 AC. I don't plan on running the AC for hours on end but want to know I could if I wanted to. I am very intent on getting one that is camp ground frienldy as I have been bothered by noisy generaters in the past. I guess my question is what would be the best make and model for the price? If I have to I will pay more money for the right unit. I have been told that the Yahama 3000 is one of the best. Has anyone had experience with one of these units.
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #42

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I had a Yamaha 1000 and it was extremely quiet however parts were almost impossible to get and there is no one around who works on them.

I got rid of it and bought a McCulloch branded machine (2000) made by Kipor.

If I were going to use a generator "All" the time, then I would get a Honda however the ocassional use to me does not justify the extra $400 for the Honda.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:35 PM   #43

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Ron,
We use a Yamaha EF 3000 ISE.
It has been converted to use propane fuel.
Father's Day week-end the generator was used for about 24hrs. running time total. With temps running 100+ F we needed A/C for our dog and us.
If necessary, the refer, A/C, TV, microwave, water pump, and lights may all be used simultaneously. The generator will slow slightly when the A/C cycles on. We always use the generator on the economy mode, We used the propane B-B-Q for coffee in the morning, the hot water heater (with just the pilot), the refer, and the generator all on propane starting Wednesday, 6/15. The refer all day today Monday has still been running on propane at home and we just realized we were beginning to smell a propane odor which indicates the 20 Lb. tank is getting close to empty. I can't tell you how long the generator will run on a propane container full, because we have all the other uses, but we carry 2 tanks.
The comments over the last couple of years, have been innumerable about how quiet the Yamaha is compared with other generators. Make no mistake, it still makes a noise, but you can stand next to it and carry on a conversation without raising your voice.
We're convinced Yamaha really does make the quietest generators. I've been told that Yamaha is also the world's largest generator manufacturer.
Works for us,
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:05 PM   #44

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
I had a Yamaha 1000 and it was extremely quiet however parts were almost impossible to get and there is no one around who works on them.

I got rid of it and bought a McCulloch branded machine (2000) made by Kipor.

If I were going to use a generator "All" the time, then I would get a Honda however the ocassional use to me does not justify the extra $400 for the Honda.
Mcculloch 2000tc generators don't appear to be available any longer.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #45

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Yeah I just coughed up the money for the Honda 2000, it hurt.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:32 PM   #46

Hmmm.
Attached Thumbnails
generator.jpg  
Old 07-01-2006, 10:56 PM   #47

Trailer: 17 ft Oliver Legacy Elite
Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck-H
We use our Honda 2000 sparingly and bought it as the quietest available (we actually listened to the Kipor and Yamaha).

We travel with our dogs and the wife has MS so there are times when it MUST be used. As soon as we have a few more hours on it, we will convert it to propane(0 emisions and longer oil and spark plug life) and build a quieter box for it to live in. We hope this will keep the the noise complainers happy.

FYI the Honda 2000 will run A/c ONLY in 17'Casita as A/C starts but you can add SMALL wattage items once it's cooled the trailer! (NOT microwave for popcorn!)
Chuck-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 06:05 AM   #48

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Benita,
ToolKing has the McCulloch listed as "in stock" on their website. I assume this is current Tom Trostel

http://www.toolking.com/productinfo....roductid=15503
Old 07-02-2006, 02:38 PM   #49

Quote:
Benita,
ToolKing has the McCulloch listed as "in stock" on their website. I assume this is current Tom Trostel

http://www.toolking.com/productinfo....roductid=15503
The web page says "In Stock". If you try to order it removes the item from your shopping cart because it is "Not Available".
Old 07-02-2006, 08:50 PM   #50

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Yeah I just [b]coughed up the money for the Honda 2000, [b]it hurt.
Kind of like a fur-ball, eh?
I know, I know... [b]room.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:46 PM   #51

Quote:
This is for you glass ownerswho bought these awhile back. I hav been saving for a Honda 2000, but Kipor i quite a bit cheaper. Soooooo what's the scoop?

That's the original question.

Kipor seems to be trying to make headway in America by trial and error. Of the nearly one dozen folks I know who currently own Kipor branded generators none have unsatisfied complaints. A couple had out the box issues that were satisfied by their point of sales vendor. I know of one guy via the egg websites who returned his and went with a Honda.

Kipor is trying OEMing for known American companies. They were making the FG2000TC digital generator for McCulloch. Those don't seem to be available any longer. They are also OEMing other brands. All-Power is the most recent name I've heard. All-Power Corporate Site

The scheme of things seems to be that the Kipor brand generators are becoming more expensive as they expand their dealer network and become better known in the US. When I first heard of Kipor their 2000W generator was selling for less than $700. I've seen them advertised for as much as $960 recently. The McCulloch version was selling for about $500 when introduced. The All-Power seems to have been introduced at the $500 level also. The 2000w All-Power has a MSRP of $999 and you can find them at any price between $500 and $1,000. (These are available at Pep Boys.) I suspect Kipor is OEMing other brands also. The variation in the product specs between brands would be hard to determine since they all seem to be marketed with the same tech info blurb. So although Kipors generators are a growing presence in the US, the name on the product may not be Kipor.

The Kipor Campingmate line seems to have been discontinued. It was a continuous run model. Most buyers preferred the Sinemaster version of their product because of the eco-throttle option. I do note that the red-cased All-Power also says Camping-Mate. However, the product literature I saw says it cycles up and down with load demand.

I think the answer to the original question is based on your needs and wants Kipor may be a viable alternative to Honda. Whether its an alternative you choose is at your discretion. If you wait long enough, price-wise there may be no difference between Kipor and Honda.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:43 PM   #52

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
LOTS of good info in this thread! Just got a flyer in the mailbox ...one of these companies that comes into town and sets up shop in the local arena...selling generators. All kinds big farm style down to little Kippors. Now with my little solar panel and LED interior lights I'm usually OK-BUT- I do remember rolling blackouts and ice storm outages and thought maybe I'd go take a look. The Kippor Sinemaster KGE 1000 is listed at $600 Cdn ($540 US) and the Camping mate 1000 Tc (2 degree sine wave) is going for $400 Cdn ($360 US) They even have an off brand two stroker 950 watt for $180!!!
Now I don't run electronics unless off the 12volt so clean power is not a biggie for me. How good/bad is the Camping mate for occasional use? Noisier than the Sinemaster? Factory support ?( 'cuz I'm sure fly- by- night seller has no service center!)
As our Howie sez..."Deal- or no deal?"
Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #53

I bought the McCulloch 200W Digital for less than $510 UD Delivered.

www.toolking.com

www.heartlandamerica.com sells those 2 cycle ones for around $140 US.

So does harbor freight.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:03 PM   #54

Quote:
How good/bad is the Camping mate for occasional use? Noisier than the Sinemaster? Factory support ?( 'cuz I'm sure fly- by- night seller has no service center!)
As our Howie sez..."Deal- or no deal?"
Alistair
<div align="center">CLARIFICATION - I hope: </div>

LAST YEAR: Kipor sold the Campingmate line of digital generators last year. The Campingmate models were red cased and had the letters [b]tc as part of the product name. They also sold the Sinemaster line of digital generators. The Sinemaster line was mustard gold cased and had the letters [b]ti as a part of their product name. According to the company literature at the time, the tc line of generators was not recommended for use with high end electronics as their output was not as refined or consistent as the ti product line's output. Based on comments that a dealer printed on the web, Campingmates were not recommended for those who wanted power output to fluctuate with the energy demand. The Campingmate tc generators were continuous run generators. They were either on or off with no cycling up or down. The Kipor Campingmate digital generator line was priced cheaper than the Kipor Sinemaster digital generators.

THIS YEAR: Kipor is no longer offering the Campingmate line on any of its websites. All-Power America is selling a Campingmate digital generator that is made by Kipor. I do not believe this is the same generator Kipor was selling last year because this generator cycles up or down according to load. Since the I didn't find the specs for Kipor's last year product line, I'm thinking the All-Power Campingmate is an improved version of the Kipor Campingmate. The All-Power 2000W version is not as loud as the Kipor Sinemaster 2000W genset, 54-59db vs 56db-61db respectively. I suspect that in some ways the All-Power genset is a Kipor product that is better than last year's offerings simply because Kipor is improving as they go along. All-Power guarantees toll-free factory support for one year after sale to the original purchaser or the person who has the original sales receipt. They will provide parts and service for the product.

Unless the McCulloch tc generator comes back to market it is pointless to discuss it further. The ones who already have them are the only ones who are going to have them unless someone comes across a used one. Since I suspect that most who have them are happy, resales are not likely. The bad ones were DOA and returned early and the good ones are still in use. When I checked yesterday, all web listings for them, even the ones that said "In Stock" were actually sold out with no backorder status availablr.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:09 PM   #55

All-Power's MSRP for the Campingmate seems to be identical to Kipor's MSRP for Sinemaster. All-Power is selling the units through Pep Boys. I wouldn't be surprised if the All-Power is superior to the Sinemaster.

Pep Boys All-Power Ad
Old 07-17-2006, 11:57 AM   #56

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I stopped by the local Pep Boys to look at the All Power 2000W Digital Generator, Camping Mate. It looks identical to my McCulloch FG2000Tc. All controls, knobs, lights, plugs, etc. are the same. Weight and size is the same. Specs appear to be the same. The case is red, not yellow. Price is $200 more than I paid. Kipor keeps changing things. Tom Trostel
Old 07-17-2006, 01:12 PM   #57

Quote:
Kipor keeps changing things. Tom Trostel
It seems to me that Kipor is an aggressive corporation that is looking to penetrate the US market in as many profitable ways as possible. They are allowing other companies like All-Power, McCulloch and Phillips to rebrand their products and resell them. They are building a distributor network and selling their own products outright. They are also investing in research and development and improving their product as they go along. The Kipor you bought last year may not be available this year. This year's model may be superior to last year's model. So doing your research, bookmarking the webpage or putting your brochure away and them coming back later and expecting your research to still be valid is not the way to go with this manufacturer. Old research is probably outdated research when you are evaluating their product lines. This company is very successful in Europe and Asia.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:32 PM   #58

Quote:
I stopped by the local Pep Boys to look at the All Power 2000W Digital Generator, Camping Mate. It looks identical to my McCulloch FG2000Tc. All controls, knobs, lights, plugs, etc. are the same. Weight and size is the same. Specs appear to be the same. The case is red, not yellow. Price is $200 more than I paid.
I think, the db noisiness rating for the All-Power unit is almost identical to the Honda db rating - 54-59db vs 53-59db. (Some sources say they are rated the same.) The db rating for the McCulloch is 56-61db or 56-64db depending on your source. So, if the specs were determined by the same standards, the All-Power genset may be superior to the McCulloch and last year's Sinemaster product line at least in that one regard.

My suspicion is there is some fudging with the db comparison info. I wouldn't take any of the specs as gospel until a third party using the same test criteria for all units tested rated them.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:52 PM   #59

It is just different companies importing them with different model numbers and different color cases on them. Just like Sears does it. Sears use to sell (Non Sears) brand named washers and driers that had the knobs in different places and different model numbers because they were made to be sold in Sears stores. You could find the same brand named machine at other stores only not that model number and not the controls in the same place. Made it impossible to compare prices because of the different model numbers.

Sears also use to sell an AllState motor scooter that was a Vespa only it said Allstate on it. Same with their Ted Williams’s shotguns and so forth.

The only way to get a scientific finding on the DB level of any generator is if a recognized independent laboratory did the test under strict controlled conditions and environment.

I wonder if enough people wrote Consumers Reports with a list of generators that they would like tested, if they would consider doing the test.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:42 AM   #60

In an OEM situation, the customer gets to review the manufacturer's specs and request the changes they want for the product that will carry its company name. The changes can alter the technical merits of the product in addition to being cosmetic. For example, Sears could have requested a stronger motor in a product destined to carry the Kenmore name than the motor the manufacturer usually puts in its own products. Not enough evidence has been put on the product packaging for these generators to let any of us know if the differences in these Kipor produced products is purely cosmetic. Saying the products are identical is overreaching since the products do not list identical technical specs.

The only things you can say definitively are you can acquire a digital generator produced by Kipor from multiple sources under different names and at different prices. Some of them are yellow. Some of them are red. The prospective buyer should look at the specs of the product(s) he is considering acquiring to determine if those specs meet his personal requirements.