? Known issues -Trilliums - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2006, 11:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I may have found a Trillium and will be going to inspect it over Easter weekend. Is there anything specific I should be looking for?

I'll bring the buyers check list with me. But I am hoping to get some pointers such as:
- The frame cracks at a certain point
- Check the floor by the ....
- Look for blank by the ....

Wanting to be fore warned AMAP

Thanks,
Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Hi Roy,

I can't tell you specifically about Trills, you might want to print out and take the Buyers Checklist with you.

I looked at one for someone recently. It seemed pretty standard, and this generic list pretty much covers all the areas.. add your own common sense and intuition!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Hi Roy,

I can't tell you specifically about Trills, you might want to print out and take the Buyers Checklist with you.

I looked at one for someone recently. It seemed pretty standard, and this generic list pretty much covers all the areas.. add your own common sense and intuition!
Thank you Gina,

I'll be armed with the checklist. For the benefit of others searching this site, I found a recall notice on Transport Canada for frame cracks in the Trillium.

Recall Link

Which says:

Make: TRILLIUM
Model: 1300
Affected Year(s): 1973 1974 1975 1976
Units Affected: 3030
TC Recall #: 1980007
Manufacturer:
Campaign Code:

Recall Details
THE TRAILER FRAME MAY CRACK NEAR THE FRONT BODY-TO-FRAME MOUNTING POSITION. IF BOTH SIDES OF THE FRAME SHOULD CRACK, THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT THE TRAILER BODY AND ITS FRAME COULD SEPARATE FROM THE TOWING HITCH A-FRAME.

Elsewhere in the forums I found the thread Trillium Frame Concerns which led me to look for this information. Knowing the problems and fixes helps one better determine the value of a trailer.

I understand that this site is being rebuilt since being hacked. I think it might be a good idea to try to incorporate some technical info along with the albums section of the site. There is a wealth of information here and in the members experience. Having everything together to archive the information could help record the history. It would be nice to be able to find the technical specs, model differences and history, known issues and fixes etc. not only for the trailers themselves but also the various components.

For example, I found a reference surfing about the ammonia cooled fridges. Seems that if there are cooling problems some of them can be fixed by merely pulling the fridge and turning it on one of its sides or back to let the liquids and gasses move to the right location. The poster said this fix and which way to turn the fridge was model/brand specific. Do it the wrong way and you could make things worse. Having this info available just might save someone a few $$ that can be better allocated to somewhere else in their eggs.

BTW the recall notice provides hidden information. Extrapolating the data, one can determine that approximately 757 Trillium 1300's were produced a year from 1973 to 1976.

Roy
Old 04-10-2006, 07:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
Wow, Roy. Great information. I had heard that about laying the fridge on it's side (or back), but could never remember which. Now I find each has it's own direction. whoe
Jana J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:32 AM   #5

Registry
Roy,

Don't give Trillium too much grief over the frame issue. EVERY model of egg with the A frame style has had cracking issues!

Mine has been repaired twice! And I have a Burro..

I basically have a boxed in double frame right there now. I am not worried about it ever breaking again.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Mine has been repaired twice!
What does it typically cost to repair?
Old 04-10-2006, 08:55 PM   #7

Registry
I forgot what the first repair was. It was a mobile welder and he did not do that pretty a job. Just a bandaid, more than anything. It was a couple hundred at least. I am thinking it was 400.

The second time was paid for by a tire shop that delivered my trailer to me with brand new tires, and a horribly split frame. They took care of it, and the job was outstanding. Way overkill. I never saw the bill.

My frame is aluminium and requires a special certification and technique, so pricing on it probably does not apply to steel welding.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 1989 17 ft Bigfoot Deluxe / 2004 Ford Ranger
Quote:
For example, I found a reference surfing about the ammonia cooled fridges. Seems that if there are cooling problems some of them can be fixed by merely pulling the fridge and turning it on one of its sides or back to let the liquids and gasses move to the right location. The poster said this fix and which way to turn the fridge was model/brand specific. Do it the wrong way and you could make things worse. Having this info available just might save someone a few $$ that can be better allocated to somewhere else in their eggs.
Roy
Roy,where did you locate the brand/model specific info on "flipping" ammonia-based frigs to rejuvenate the gas mixture?

Joe O.
Joseph Olajos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 1300 Trillium
Hi Roy, Push on the middle of the interior ceiling at both ends (front and back) to see if there is any dip in the roof. You can also look from the outside to see if the roof vent is sitting square or is on a slant.
Maggie O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Hi Roy, Push on the middle of the interior ceiling at both ends (front and back) to see if there is any dip in the roof.
Hi Maggie O!

What am I looking for when I push? Firm is OK, and movement means a dip?

And how does a dip affect the trailer. All I can imagine is the tent tarp that collects water waiting for a fish to come along.

Roy
Old 04-12-2006, 05:54 AM   #11

Trailer: 1300 Trillium
It is just something else to look for when you are deciding. I think it is mostly cosmetic. It probably won't collect water unless the trailer is way off level. It's difficult to change tho'. So if the look bothers you don't buy. Your description of how to check is accurate. Good luck!
Maggie O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Roy,where did you locate the brand/model specific info on "flipping" ammonia-based frigs to rejuvenate the gas mixture?

Joe O.
I don't remember Joe. I just tried a Google Groups search and found 191 hits that discuss the issue. Here is a link to the results using the four words (ammonia fridge trailer turn). Google Groups search results.

HTH,

Roy
Old 04-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
i have seen the flipping of the reefers to help free up an ammoina unit just cant remember where.
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:20 PM   #14

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
The fridge in my Boler is out of a '74 or so Starcraft pop-up and didn`t work when I tried it so I turned it onto my right hand side,(facing it), it gurgled a bit, then went quiet...turned it onto it`s top and it gurgled some more, then onto it`s left side, same sounds...put it back on it`s bottom and lo and behold it worked for about a year.....the next time it stopped a friend of mine told me to just take it for a ride down a fairly rough gravel road and that got it going again....been working for the last 2 years.......the instructor in a course that I took in appliance repair about 30 years ago told me which way to turn those fridges, but I`d forgotten...but the way I did it worked....he also wasn`t brand specific in his instructions....if the direction of the rotation is a concern, maybe a good shake up will work also, as it did for me.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote