Ladder Question - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-12-2017, 07:49 PM   #1

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Ladder Question

Hi All,

I hope to clean, polish, and wax our Casita this spring. I have an 8' extension ladder that I may try using. I will use cut pool noodles on the ladder to protect the surface of the Casita.

I also thought about borrowing my father's-in-law ladders that fold in half and can be used as stands. He has two of them. I could then use an 8' long 2" X 10" board placed over each ladder stand to create an area so I could walk 4 or 5 feet while waxing the top of the Casita. I am not quite sure if this will give me enough elevation or not.

What are your ways for accessing the roof of your trailers in terms of elevation? If you use a ladder, what type of ladder? Do you have some other mechanism for reaching the center of the roof?

Thanks,

Dean
Old 02-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I use a rolling scaffold.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Metaltech-6...affold/3930243

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:20 PM   #3

Kentucky
Registry
Hey Charlie Y,

Wow, nifty. I like that.

Thanks for the link.

Take care,

Dean
Old 02-12-2017, 09:01 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have the rolling stairs, like you'll find being used in the big box stores like Lowes and Home Depot.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:00 PM   #5

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
I use a Cosco (not Costco) ladder from Menard's which has three very deep steps. I do not wax but use 303 Aerospace, UV inhibitor, by spraying it on the roof and using a cloth-covered mop. (303 cannot be used without removing any wax first).
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:06 AM   #6

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
I have been using a 6 or 8 foot step ladder in the folded position leaned up against the trailer with a towel draped over the top to protect against scratches. It works OK but my knees complain a lot!
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:57 AM   #7

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
I just use a 6 ft step ladder, only moving it 6 times and the whole roof is done....I have long arms I guess.
Then I can reach the rest from the ground.
The Red Max wax system is just applied with a wet rag so no buffing is required so it's one hour job to do the whole 13ft. trailer.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:17 AM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Some expensive solutions mentioned... I (also) use a six foot extension ladder that I already own. I fold a scrap piece of thick carpeting over the top end and secure with a bungee cord. Then I lean the ladder against the trailer at a shallow angle (closer to vertical than normal) with the rug in contact with the shell. I climb on the ladder carefully making sure most all of my weight is bearing down on the ladder and not on the trailer. I don't reach out too far so I move the ladder more than six times to wax the roof. I still cant get to every square inch but can wax most of the roof.

I have never seen an official or definitive answer regarding added weight on the roof but it is clear than it should be very little if any. So far my technique has worked OK.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #9

Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

Lots of great suggestions and improvements on my initial thoughts. I have bookmarked several links. I will definitely NOT put too much weight on the Casita's roof. I have used a standard wooden folding ladder when washing the Casita, but it would not be suitable for the more labor intensive polish/waxing job, plus I can't reach far enough. I have never placed my extension ladder against the Casita. I will pad the ladder at the point of contact with the Casita and experiment a bit. I still like the idea of some type of platform for moving (walking a few feet) left and right as I polish/wax.

I will keep you posted.

Thx,

Dean
Old 02-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #10

Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

I wanted to give you a one year update on my question on how you access the the roof of your Casita’s. The top half of the Casita, particuarly the roof was needing some attention. I needed to give it some attention (Poli-Clean and Poli-Glow was the answer, but that is another thread). After reading your responses and doing some research, I decided to purchase some scaffolding for about $150. See picture below. It has worked great! I used it to wax the Casita, but I also used it monthly to wash the Casita before a camping trip. The scaffolding is currently in one of our bedrooms. I am going to paint the ceilings in a couple of rooms, so the scaffolding has multiple uses. Very happy with it.

Take care,

Dean
Attached Thumbnails
05D0DC02-A8BC-4691-B8C0-FA57067303D7.jpg  
Old 02-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #11

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
I think the task might be facilitated if you build a device like the one pictured below. Sometimes using a few 2x4s and a few minutes in the workshop will save hours on the job and reduce risk simutanously.

With the trailer rolled over it would be much easier to reach the center of the top and you would avoid the risk of falling so far down from the ladder. Clearly a Win / Win.

I haven't tried this, so attempt at your own risk.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 8.49.16 PM.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:44 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Ladder Question

Looks good, Dean.

I have a recurring case of mild 3'-itis in which I find myself looking longingly at Scamp 16's... It seems to go into remission every time I wash and wax my 13' Scamp (using a 4' ladder).
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:54 PM   #13

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Looks good, Dean.

I have a recurring case of mild 3'-itis in which I find myself looking longingly at Scamp 16's... It seems to go into remission every time I wash and wax my 13' Scamp (using a 4' ladder).
Hi Jon,

Understood. Stripping the old Poli-Glow from the top half of the Casita and putting on 5 coats of Poli-Glow made me wonder about the work involved in waxing taller, longer, bigger rigs. Definitely a good way to avoid “2-footitis”!!!

Take care,

Dean