Leaking Bigfoot Storage Compartment and Rock Guard - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-13-2021, 10:43 AM   #1

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Leaking Bigfoot Storage Compartment and Rock Guard

Greetings new friends! The wife & I are the proud owners of a 21ft '94 Bigfoot. We are new to the camper trailer life, and learning as fast as we can. Sorry if this has been asked before... Right now I am running around and trying to get it all sealed up and fully water tight and I found 2 spots I could use some advice on how to fix...

Problem 1: Front Rock Guard
The front window rock guard screws appear to be pulling away from the shell. From the looks of it, they have tried sealing it in the past. What's the best way to fix this? Just replace screws with longer stainless steel ones? Or...remove screws, scrape off foam and old caulk, put down a strip of butyl tape, and screw it in again with slightly longer screws? Or is it nothing to worry about in particular?

Problem 2: Storage Compartment Leaking
The rear storage compartment has a little dry rot in the sub-floor. It appears that a shrunken seal is the culprit. But I cannot find an equivalent rubber seal with a t slide to replace it. What should I be looking for?
Attached Thumbnails
storage-compartment.jpg   rock-guard.jpg  

SolarSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:42 AM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
You could put a piece of stick on seal to fill the gap for now. As far as finding the seal itself, you will have to do a lot of hunting on the internet to try to find one. It took me months to find one seal for my sliding rear window.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:52 AM   #3

Trailer: Sold the last Bigfoot after 15 years
Bigfoot uses zinc plated screws and they all rust. I ordered several sizes of stainless screws from the internet and replaced all of mine. On your rock guard find some larger diameter stainless screws. They will need to be thick enough that the threads can grip. Be careful about using longer screws as they might punch through and damage the interior. Get some caulking or sealant and dip the threads of each screw in it when you install them. Use the sealant liberally to stop leaking in the screw hole. Take one rusty screw out and install one new one. Don't take all of the old ones out at the same time.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot