Leaks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2011, 07:06 AM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ontario
Leaks

O.K. I know I've already posted something along this lines about my windows having leaks?...but here's my question. My wife and I are going camping in less than two weeks and I don't have alot of time. I know for sure that a couple of rivets are loose and have minor leak issues. The past owners have siliconed or whatever over the rivets "before" the trailer was painted on the outside. There is some minor cracks around the rivets. I think this is where water is coming in on the loose ones.
I know I should replace those rivets but can I just use a little dap of mono ultra to make sure they are sealed and not leaking until I get back from our first trip with our new used trailer? (will it stick to the paint?

As for those of you that saw the old Coke theme my wife and I have made alot of changes and I will post some pics when I get around to it. Had my father help me make all new doors which I in the process of staining and finishing as we speak. (framed with Birch plywood inserts) So yes the coke door will be going up for sale sometime in the near future.
Attached Thumbnails
4350f0j_21.jpg   0890565_20.jpg  

Brian in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I wouldn't advocate using anything silicone-based for even five minutes. Whatever you use, make sure it's easy enough to get off that you WILL properly make the repairs in a timely manner. If you don't, you know Murphy's Law will happen. I'm not sure what mono ultra is, so I can't comment on that.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I wouldn't advocate using anything silicone-based for even five minutes. Whatever you use, make sure it's easy enough to get off that you WILL properly make the repairs in a timely manner. If you don't, you know Murphy's Law will happen. I'm not sure what mono ultra is, so I can't comment on that.
Thanks for the reply Donna!!
The Mono Ultra is a "non-silicone" based caulking. Trust me I don't even want the job of removing what is there now. But it looks like were in for some rain for our Canadian long weekend and after washing the trailer the other day I definitely have a leak at both the front and back windows right where the little bracket is to hold the blinds tight to the windows. I think its obvious that I need to replace both the window seals at some point this season.
Brian in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #4

Name: Lethbridge
Trailer: 13' Boler
Alberta
Brian

Did you ever fix the leaks? What seals did you use when you replaced the windows? I just bought a 13' and my front and rear windows are leaking so I would like to fix them

Did you put new windows in? I am thinking of replacing the windows with new plexiglass too, the old windows are OLD and scratched anyway
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I guess this is an older thread but as far as I'm concerned you can't beat white liquid electrical tape applied with a small (arts and crafts) paintbrush. Thin enough to go into the rivet hole and tiny crack around the edges, white so it does not look bad, lasts at least a year and when you remove the rivet to "do it right" the remaining liquid electrical tape can be flaked off with you finger nail.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis View Post
Brian

Did you ever fix the leaks?
Brian hasn't been around for a while
Last Activity: 06-24-2011 06:50 PM
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:17 AM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I wonder what the brackets are that the table's poles are slipped into on the side of the trailer?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #8

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I wonder what the brackets are that the table's poles are slipped into on the side of the trailer?
I copied the photo to my computer where I could zoom in, picture is a pretty fuzzy but they appear to be white flag pole brackets, or very much like them. Again picture is fuzzy but I can see the two bands that form the socket and that is what it looks like to me.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks