Left camper light plugged into our truck at the inspection place today - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-28-2017, 07:41 AM   #1

Name: Patti
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner
Virginia
Left camper light plugged into our truck at the inspection place today

Forgot to unplug the light plug and left the camper and truck at the inspection station so will my truck battery be drained? How long before that happens? Bonehead thing but we thought since they were inspecting it we'd leave it intact but then worried about leaving it all day and draining our truck battery?
It is running the fridge we think. Thanks for any advice. Don't know if we need to call the shop and have them unhook it?
PJ
PJ47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:47 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ47 View Post
Forgot to unplug the light plug and left the camper and truck at the inspection station so will my truck battery be drained? How long before that happens? Bonehead thing but we thought since they were inspecting it we'd leave it intact but then worried about leaving it all day and draining our truck battery?
It is running the fridge we think. Thanks for any advice. Don't know if we need to call the shop and have them unhook it?
PJ
Patti,

If there is a load draining the battery, or you even just think there might be, it would be best to call. Draining a lead-acid battery flat causes damage that will reduce its ability to hold a charge.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
If the refrigerator is on, the battery will die very quickly, it draws 12-15 amps, the amp draw goes up as the voltage of the battery drops
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #4

Name: Patti
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner
Virginia
Yikes

I just called the inspection station and asked them to unplug the lights/power to the camper. It had been 2 hours and hope that it will be alright.
Thank you for your response.
PJ47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
That's good, you should be OK
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
No load, no problem.
Do you have a battery isolator?
If so, trailer charge is off when the key is off.

I wire mine through a 30A manual switch so I must remember to shut it off when there is a load or even a low battery.
Fact is... with no load, no isolator, and a low house battery, it would only equalize.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We did leave our Scamp plugged in while touring an old mining town once, the fridge was on 12 V. It did drain both batteries. Since then we either unpug the umbilical, or, at least, switch off the fridge for short periods, like lunch stops.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light