Lil Bigfoot door needs hip bump to close - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2020, 12:59 PM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Lil Bigfoot door needs hip bump to close

Well, I knew this when I bought it. I push it almost shut and then give it a whack with my hip, and it latches.

The bad news is I can't really get it closed solidly from the inside. I imagine if I installed some kind of heavy duty handle on the inside of the door to grip, I could make it happen. So I can lock it with a key from the outside, but cannot lock it from the inside. Like, when I'm in there. At a strange campground...

Any thoughts out there on what the problem might be? It doesn't seem to be hanging crookedly... It's just not anxious to close.

I also notice that what I thought was some kind of eyebrow gasket over the top of the door frame was actually some kind of ELECTRICAL TAPE applied by the PO. I haven't had the heart to pull it off, but think it was mainly for cosmetic appearance... hopefully.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #2

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
if the door sealing gasket is too thick it will hold the door lock strike from coming in contact with the strike plate. mine worked fine for years I replaced the weather stripping gasket a month ago the door will not close without a hard push. It will not lock from the inside unless I pull very hard. I bought a gasket that will not compress like my old one did. I bought it sight unseen on Amazon. I am going to pull it (my new gasket ) off and buy a new gasket. Mine has a piano hinge, original.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #3

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
if the door sealing gasket is too thick it will hold the door lock strike from coming in contact with the strike plate. mine worked fine for years I replaced the weather stripping gasket a month ago the door will not close without a hard push. It will not lock from the inside unless I pull very hard. I bought a gasket that will not compress like my old one did. I bought it sight unseen on Amazon. I am going to pull it (my new gasket ) off and buy a new gasket. Mine has a piano hinge, original.
Yes, mine has a piano hinge also (pretty sure it is original). The PO did a lot of cosmetic stuff on this one (including redoing the window seals, etc.) so possibly he replaced the gasket also.

Please let me know if this strategy works for you. What year is your trailer? Mine is a 1989.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:06 PM   #4

Utah
Mine is a 93 13 foot. it is so hard to push shut. when I had taken the old weather strip out, the door closed with just a lite touch. I have been calling it a gasket. I have replaced the weather strip before and I bought it at one of the RV stores. I just bought something too heavy sight unseen. I will get back to U. with a name; if it just doesn't come off a roll.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:43 PM   #5

Utah
Ellpea The weather strip I put in place was like a 1/2 inch hollow tube I cut the tube where the door comes in contact with the tube. I cut along the side where the tube is glued to the frame and removed 1/3rd of the contact surface. the door is so easy to close. I will remove this weather strip and buy something less thick that can compress. more news later.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:49 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Same here but on a scamp. Cut and removed about 6 or 8 inches of weather strip centered on strike plate and it latched well again so I replaced that section with a little thinner weather seal and all was good.

Of course I replace the foam seal and then took off on a trip and couldn't keep my door shut to save my life. Ended up tying a rope around the trailer to hold it shut until I was at the camp ground and could investigate. Was lucky it was a rally and someone spotted the new gasket and sad the same thing as Kenny did.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:39 PM   #7

CA
Well, since I originally posted this, I went out and had a look at the door, and the PO obviously DID do some modifications.

First of all, I think it is a pretty new gasket, because it is black and still squishy. AND, a little bit of it next to the lock has been cut out, so obviously he was trying to get the door shut.

But you can also see that there used to be some kind of additional hardware there, which is now missing, possibly because the door was having trouble closing? It does latch with this half-@$$ed setup right now...

Then I just noticed this this spring:

So, I'm not sure what kind of gasket or trim might have been up top on that eyebrow area... or if there was anything there at all. But it does look like he just applied some black tape to that area, maybe just to make it look pretty, or maybe to hide the fact that some trim was missing?
Old 08-16-2020, 10:57 AM   #8

Utah
Ellpea the strike plates are missing ! our house doors close and the door knobs have a latch called a strike. the door jamb has a plate the latch slides into. there are steel strike plates missing. The come with the door locking mechanism. take your photo to a RV center near you; they may have what you need. otherwise ???? I'm glad you took pictures. My trailer only has the top opening. I will try to send a photo. I need to learn how.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:25 AM   #9

Utah
I found it, the strike plate is available on amazon. look for RV door strike plate; Lippert brand. will it work ?
Old 08-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #10

CA
Quote:
I found it, the strike plate is available on amazon. look for RV door strike plate; Lippert brand. will it work ?
Kenny Strong... not sure! I’ll do some investigating.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:56 AM   #11

Utah
Ellpea I bought weatherstrip from Amazon. sold by Yotache it has a fabric thread backing to stop it from stretching. it is 1/2" wide 1/4" thick by 26 feet I used it all. the door works perfect.I used it for the screen and the door. it cost $12.98. cut in pieces on the hinge side. I put pieces on the back side of the screen hinge. If u stand back it looks like one piece. I saw where someone bought a new strike plate at a RV store. The door works like it is supposed to.
Later Kenny
Old 08-25-2020, 06:54 PM   #12

CA
Quote:
Ellpea I bought weatherstrip from Amazon. sold by Yotache it has a fabric thread backing to stop it from stretching. it is 1/2" wide 1/4" thick by 26 feet I used it all. the door works perfect.I used it for the screen and the door. it cost $12.98. cut in pieces on the hinge side. I put pieces on the back side of the screen hinge. If u stand back it looks like one piece. I saw where someone bought a new strike plate at a RV store. The door works like it is supposed to.
Later Kenny
Kenny, thank you for the info! When it cools off a bit here, I will look into this... and a bit more loving care this lil B deserves!

Tags
bigfoot